New MGS4 trailer at Sony Keynote (July 11th)

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
To coincide with the much-anticipated North American launch of Metal Gear Solid®4: Guns of the Patriots in late Q2 2008, SCEA will introduce a PS3 bundle, which will include an 80GB PS3, the upcoming blockbuster Metal Gear Solid®4: Guns of the Patriots and a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for $499 (MSRP).
Certainly a good draw for new gamers!

...and official news on the Dual Shock itself:
SCEA will introduce the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for the first time in North America in April 2008 for $54.95 (MSRP).

...also some interesting summer bundle news for the PSP:
SCEA also announced the June 2008 availability of the limited-edition God of War® PSP Entertainment Pack for $199.99 (MSRP). The God of War Entertainment Pack will include a "Deep Red" PSP with God of War himself, Kratos, silk-screened on the back of the unit, a copy of the highly anticipated upcoming God of War: Chains of Olympus game for PSP, the hit comedy movie from Columbia Pictures, "Superbad™," on UMD™ (Universal Media Disc), and a PLAYSTATION®Network voucher to download Syphon Filter®: Combat Ops from PLAYSTATION®Store. The stand-alone version of God of War: Chains of Olympus launches on March 4, 2008.
Good to know ahead of time, for those GoW-advocates who can hold off a bit. ;)

(What? Some people didn't want to dig through that whole release for the interesting bits. Hehe...)

Seems that they "HAD" to compress some stuff.

50GB is confirmed to be not enough. Ouch.

as said many times before if you're careless [using minimal compression] about stuff like your audio and cutscene video quality just about any dev can use 50gb or greater. Its really a trivial thing to marvel at as if it were some sort of feat. Just as a comparison if i told you that you could rip your favorite music album using the wav format at the cost of making each song 500MB in size would you think that was neat or economical?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hideo Kojima: Blu-ray doesn't have enough space for Metal Gear Solid 4
http://ps3.qj.net/Hideo-Kojima-Blu-...space-for-Metal-Gear-Solid-4/pg/49/aid/114921

even the massive 50GB space the Blu-ray disc offers is not enough for his Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot on the Sony PlayStation 3.

In an interview, Kojima explained that his team had to compress many elements of Metal Gear Solid 4 to make it fit in the disc. While they managed to squeeze the game into Blu-ray, Kojima said the quality could have been better if there was more capacity to work with.

We need real details on usage. It doesn't make much sense. Let's say audio is recorded at over-the-top quality creating 100 MBs an hour files, that's 10 hours of audio per gig. If a fifth of the disk was audio, that'd be 100 hours. Who the heckers scripts and records 100 hours of audio?! And now we're supposed to think that they've compressed everything so quality suffers?! So what, 128 Kb MP3s? Two hundred hours of vocals?

There just plain must be lots of 1080p video in there, which isn't essential to the game. That is, you could record it at 720p, or do some in-game. We'll have to see the game to judge, but I'm sceptical all that space is essential to the experience.

as said many times before if you're careless [using minimal compression] about stuff like your audio and cutscene video quality just about any dev can use 50gb or greater. Its really a trivial thing to marvel at as if it were some sort of feat. Just as a comparison if i told you that you could rip your favorite music album using the wav format at the cost of making each song 500MB in size would you think that was neat or economical?

you are talking about Kojima here who is a perfectionist, he wants his game to be top quality and I dont see anything wrong with that.

We need real details on usage. It doesn't make much sense. Let's say audio is recorded at over-the-top quality creating 100 MBs an hour files, that's 10 hours of audio per gig.

IMO, there is maximum of 10-15hrs of audio voicevers. Even with all the optional codec transmissions. And everything is in some HQ 5.1 sound.

Ryan Payton mentioned in KP Podcast that they're even recorded breathing of characters during dialogs. So, Snake stops with takling, Otakon takes over, but they are still recording Snake breathing!

Also, they are recording movements of chars and lipsync during codec briefings, 'couse players can look @ the gameworld with MKII.

All that things add up.

As have been said many times before, if you careless about quality any game can fit on a CD-ROM.

As have been said many times before, if you careless about quality any game can fit on a CD-ROM.

Right lets go one extreme to the other that makes for an intelligent comparison

you are talking about Kojima here who is a perfectionist, he wants his game to be top quality and I dont see anything wrong with that.

And neither do i but i cant help but roll my eyes every time someone marvels at the space usage as if it were a feat unique to MGS4 that in some way signified a superiority of significance.

There just plain must be lots of 1080p video in there, which isn't essential to the game. That is, you could record it at 720p, or do some in-game. We'll have to see the game to judge, but I'm sceptical all that space is essential to the experience.

Doing in-game cutscenes might not be possible if they're using pre-recorded videos to pre-load what's ever about to happen next.

Right lets go one extreme to the other that makes for an intelligent comparison

Well you made the assumption that they don´t compress anything, so at least one of us don´t give the developers much credit?

Afaik one of the guys from the Heavenly Sword team made it clear that if you don´t compress you assets your loading time goes up. But ever since the BluRay drive was introduced there has been an army trying to prove how stupid it was and that 7GB on a DVD was enough your post seemed like another one, sorry if i was mistaken.

Back