BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch

hey.

this patch looks awesome, but i cant get it to work.

The game runs into an error as soon as i try to start it, and shuts down, but only when the br2fsaa.ini is placed in the bloodrayne2 folder. When that file is removed, the game starts fine. I am starting it from a disk, does this matter?

Thank you =]

hey.

this patch looks awesome, but i cant get it to work.

The game runs into an error as soon as i try to start it, and shuts down, but only when the br2fsaa.ini is placed in the bloodrayne2 folder. When that file is removed, the game starts fine. I am starting it from a disk, does this matter?

Thank you =]

BR2 should be installed in one of your hard drives.

For example:
C:\Program Files\Majesco Entertainment\BloodRayne 2\

You must copy the d3d8.dll & br2fsaa.ini included in the patch, to this folder.

Once you do this, try to start the game.

By default, the br2fsaa.ini file is configured to turn on the FSAA 4x only.

If the game fails to start with these defaults, you should give me a more detailed description of the problem & about your software/hardcore config.

Once the patch starts with the defaults, you can use the Configuration Tool (copy the br2fsaaConfig.exe to the BR2 folder & exec it), to configure the rest of options.

The most common error is using a custom resolution that your screen doesn't support.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it is installed there, and i did copy both those files to that place.
For whatever reason the game wont work with the .ini
I took it out pf the BR2 folder and it started up fine.
This is exactly what happens.

Put the d3d8.dll & br2fsaa.ini into the BloodRayne 2 folder.
Try to start the game normally.
Before the game starts, it brings up the auto prompt for video settings (resolution, bump maping, dynamic shadows, reflections, texture detail)
I just click ok, and right away it comes with an error report with the d3d8.dll as the error.

My hardware is as follows:

AMD 6000+X2
EVGA Superclocked 8800GT 512
Windows XPSP2

All drivers are up to date.

Thank you for your help. =]

Ok, this is going to be a challenge. Try this:

- Delete the br2fsaa.ini file from your BR2 folder.

- Create a new br2fsaa.ini file with notepad.

- Put the following lines in the file:

ForceResolution = 0
Width = 0
Height = 0
ForceAR = 0

- Save the file.

- Try to start the game, and tell me if it crashes.

Maybe the patch is having problems to read the file. It never happened, but you never know.

and make sure it is document.ini and not document.ini.txt
in notepad save as make sure all files is selected and not text files

How's going dude ?

Save the file with notepad, rename it to br2fsaa.ini & move it to your BR2 folder.

Im sorry, i was at my fathers for the weekend.

Thank you guys very much for your help.

When i return home from work i will try this ASAP.

BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch 1.41

Welcome to the public version 1.41 of the BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch.

This new version adds vSync support for the Vista users, a configuration wizard, and fixes for a memory leak that caused some random hangs in the game. Therefore, it's an highly recommended update !

I still haven't my Q9450, so, i haven't added the SSE4 code to the patch yet.

The configuration wizard will ask you some basic questions about your hardware, and then it will auto-select the best options for your config. Only your gfx card is relevant to enjoy the game to the max. Therefore, i have divided the main gfx cards in four groups, based on their video memory bandwidth. A multi-core CPU will help you to enjoy smoother perlin effects (water, blood, wave pools, ...), but won't help you with the frame rate.

Finally, about the 'BloodRayne 2 HD' project, the development has started, and i have developed a tool called 'podExplorer', that helps to the artists to extract/insert textures from/to the game. I need more artists to help me to replace the original textures of the game with new high resolution versions. If you can contribute, please, contact with me. As sample of the project, i can show you the difference with this pic:

Special thanks to the game developers & publishers (Terminal Reality & Majesco) for allowing me to release this patch.

Thank you very much & enjoy playing with Rayne !

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be repeating several posts at this point, but awesome work! It's very cool the companies are ok with it. :cool:

Damn, you're doing a mighty fine job, Rayne.

You're single handedly rehabilitating the Bloodrayne franchise, after the whole Uwe Boll movie thing. :mrgreen:

I'm tempted to give you a signature that says "Makes patches better than Uwe Boll makes movies! ...Not that says much given how low the bar is set. :/ "

More seriously, my hats goes off to you, Rayne. I'm really tempted to grab Bloodrayne 2 on the cheap just to try your patch. Terminal Velocity and Majesco can thank you for that (and not the other way around), I guess.

tombraiderforums.com deleted my thread about my patch cause i hadn't 100 posts since i registered in year 2003.

And i love Lara since xmas 96:

Vy - I highly recommend Bloodrayne 2 even before Rayne put out these beautiful patches for it. It was a fun game before, now it's a fun work of art.

Thanks again Rayne on a truly superior effort. :)

rayne since you are a fan of tomb raider are you aware of glidos ?

High quality graphics for the original Tombraider, including the "Temple of the cat" and "Unfinished Business" levels. Support for audio packs, now restoring ALL the haunting sound tracks from the original Play Station version of Tomb Raider.
Vastly improves the graphic quality from the standard game.
Support for high definition texture packs (see Tomb Raider Xtra).
Wide screen mode for laptops.
Improved Direct3D support.
Support for 32bit Vista, using VDos32
Simpler texture pack support with equivalence files.
Eight other classic games now supported.
Per-palette texture caching for smooth game play in Blood.
Improved menu ring speed in Tomb Raider.
32bit colour when using texture packs.
Choice of OpenGL or Direct3D drivers.
Easier configuration.
Texture caching to make Descent II play smooth as silk.
VESA support, which make up for poor support in some graphics cards.
Full mouse support for Descent II.
Accurate PIT timing for perfect game speed.

http://www.glidos.net/

Yes, i used glidos.

And, yes, i love TR games since xmas 96, but i'm not returning to that TR forum.

They deleted my thread about my br2 patch really quick.

This isn't the usual update. This time i have a question for the users here with a strong knowledge about GPUs.

As i said, i'm working in the BR2 HD project, and i'm remaking the textures of the game in high resolution. Everything is going fine, but i'm concerned about the performance.

I use a 8800GTX (615/1500/2200) in my rig, and i use this config:

1280x1024 SSAA 2x AF 16x
Texture Filtering: High Quality
Trilinear Optimization: Off
Aniso. filter optimization: Off
Aniso. sample optimization: Off
Negative LOD BIAS: Clamp

The game runs at 100 FPS with this config in my rig, and i love the IQ & speed.

The first level of the game has almost all the new high res textures done, and i'm experiencing a drop in the framerate to 75 FPS.

I'm using around 300-400MB of VRAM in this 1st level, so, i know that my GTX can handle the extra size of the textures.

The new textures are 4x times bigger (in each axis), than the original textures.

So, the high res textures added a 25% performance hit in my system with my config.

I did some tests, turning on/off some options of the driver, to find the part of the card that is responsible of this performance hit.

1) Texture Filtering: Quality -> No changes

2) Texture Filtering: Quality, Tri. Optimization: On -> 90 FPS

3) Texture Filtering: High Quality, Tri. Optimization: Off, AF: 2x -> 90 FPS

I suspect that i'm bounded by the TF units, cause, the trilinear optimization reduces the area in which the mipmaps are filtered trilinearly (reducing the number of texels to read & filter), and reducing the AF level also reduces the number of texels to read & filter.

I also did this experiment with the default textures:

Memory: 733 MHz (733MHz * 2 (DDR) * 384bit / 8 = 70 GB/s
Shader Clock: 1650 MHz (yes, it was stable).
Core Clock: 615 MHz (650 wasn't stable).

Basically i clocked my card like a 9800 GTX, to discover if the game is bounded by the memory bandwidth or by the shading power, and the frame rate went from 100 FPS to 80 FPS (20% slower).

I would like to know your opinion about this performance hit. Any theory.

I have been reading about the GT-200 rumors here, and i would love to see a new GPU with more TF/TA units, to help me in the future with the high resolution textures. I also would like to upgrade to a 1920x1200 screen, and keep playing with SSAA 2x. Therefore, i hope that the GT-200 is what i need.

Thank you very much !

Back