Is tile-based architecture is a must have for mobile graphics?

nobond

Newcomer
Looks to me for the mobile graphics, the tile based architecture is the only choice to significally reduce the memory bandwidth, and therefore the only choice? At least for now, looks like both powervr and mali architecture are both tile based.

Lazy8s said:
I've never seen an IMR beat a comparable PowerVR... portable nor desktop.
Yes, tile-based architectures completely took over the market in the late 90s due to their obviously superior performance and design. It's now virtually impossible to find a good IMR. :rolleyes:

Yes, tile-based architectures completely took over the market in the late 90s due to their obviously superior performance and design. It's now virtually impossible to find a good IMR. :rolleyes:
He did say "comparable", which I would take to mean similar die size in the same technology.

At least for now, looks like both powervr and mali architecture are both tile based.
AFAIK, every single latest-generation PC GPU on the market is tile-based. Yet nobody seems to care about that. Being tile-based nearly always makes sense to deal with the increasingly large memory burst sizes. Actually deferring the rendering (and doing so in a tile-based manner) is another thing completely, and it shouldn't be considered at the same time IMO...

This is extremely hard to compare anyway, because no company in the world today has (or seems to have, at least) cutting-edge IMR and TBDR designs in-house. It's not really fair to compare an highly optimized IMR with tons of expertise put into it with a TBDR. And neither is it fair to compare a highly optimized TBDR with a naive IMR design. And comparing naive designs might be completely different from comparing non-naive designs. Etc. etc. etc...

Back