Blockbuster chooses Blu-ray only for expanded rental availablity

250 locations accounts for 75% of the market? Does that mean they average 3 rentals a day and their competition 1?

250 was the number of pilot project locations they selected to test out the public demand for Blu-ray and HD DVD. Those 250 will still be carrying both, presumably because they don't want to annoy the HD DVD folks who've gotten used to getting HD DVDs at those initial 250 Blockbuster stores selected for the test.

Blockbuster actually has roughly 8,000 locations in total, and ~7,750 will now begin carrying Blu-ray but not HD DVD as a result of the decison they made based on the pilot project results in the initial 250 test stores.

If Blu-Ray is outselling HD-DVD 70/30 it´s still telling the Studioes, the buyers, the hardware makers what the consumer wants. HD-DVD got such a good start that i was starting to think the Blu-Ray would screw it up, lucky for me and us it didn´t happen. The format with 40% more storage is in a winning position and only Blu-Ray dropping the ball or Microsoft throwing even more money after HD-DVD can change that.

What you arent quite grasping or dont want to grasp is the volumes are so low nobody will jump ship either way. On another msgboard somebody pointed out the total movies moved for both formats. ~1.2 million for HD-DVD, 1.7 Million for Blu Ray.

It is such a miniscule number by any stretch of the imagination nobody can call a winner yet.

One thing you also fail to realize is with several million blu ray players in the market if you consider the PS3 vs ~150,000 HD-DVD players. That 70-30 split isnt a sign of total domination. Like I have said, once the price of stand alone players come down this will get more clear. Whichever player see's the sub 200 market will start to pick up momentum as more avg people go to Walmart and pick up the cheapest system.

First signs of fallout from BB's decision?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hd-dvd-o...ajor-impact-on-hd-dvd-player-sales-270313.php

Blockbuster's decision to support Blu-ray in all of its 1,450 stores is having a bigger impact than it seems. A tipster at an unnamed retailer tells us they've had more HD DVD player orders canceled over the last few days than they've seen over the entire life cycle. The kicker? All of them were canceled because of the Blockbuster announcement.

Not only that, new sales of HD DVD players are nonexistent, with Blu-ray being the only things moving now.

The more tech savvy of us rent our stuff on Netflix or Blockbuster Online (which is still supporting both formats for now), but this announcement—covered in many mainstream media sources—had a big impact on people who actually rent at Blockbuster.

You don't think they're going to pick up the system for which they see content they can rent in front of their noses at Blockbuster? I know we're all internet geeks here who question whether B&M actually exists or is just a bad rumour, but most of the world isn't there with us yet. . .

Personally, I don't even Netflix but I still haven't been in a Blockbuster in a couple years at this point. We buy from Amazon for ones we want to see more than once, or watch on-demand from cable (tho the HD selections there are still much thinner than I'd like).

Still, I haven't noticed Blockbuster and their 8,000 stores getting ready to shrivel up and blow away in the next couple years, so they must be doing pretty good business. (Now, maybe 10 years from now. . . .but the war will be over before then)

Edit: Ahh, they aren't going to all 8,000 yet. So presumably they have another check point some months down the road to see how things are going.

As expected, people are jumping in to take advantage of the publicity (and what little momentum it built). The impact of Blockbuster's decision is in PR.

Starz to go Blu http://www.homemediaretailing.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=10786

Word of mouth
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hd-dvd-o...ajor-impact-on-hd-dvd-player-sales-270313.php

Still this won't kill HD-DVD (I think). Meanwhile...

Chinese Blu-ray player coming: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=259#comments
Specs here: http://www.gowellent.net/product web/vedio series/G875.html

This one has an aroma to me. Who cancels orders with a retailer? These aren't pre-order type of products at this point. They're "go in and buy one" products. Unless this unnamed tipster is central warehouse for a chain that allows stores to determine their own inventory and it's the individual stores who are cancelling their re-stocks. But still, it doesn't smell right. A wholesaler maybe, but not a retailer, and that seems a bit quick for wholesaler to be seeing that kind of reaction.

I tried to take that link out since Ty already lists it in her post, but the B3D forum server/network timed out twice (and then I forgot :) ). I would expect that guy to back up his words with an update. He may mean back orders.

I tried to take that link out since Ty already lists it in her post, but the B3D forum server/network timed out twice (and then I forgot :) ). I would expect that guy to back up his words with an update. He may mean back orders.

Y'know, that's been happening to me too in the Ajax edit window. If I "Go Advanced" then it seems to work. Guess I better look into that. I almost wonder if this is somehow another instance of the "smilies" thing in Site Feedback in some manner. . .

Edit: Of course, as soon as I say that the Ajax edit window works for me again. Hrmph

It's been obvious since the beginning to me that BluRay would win. Let's run down the advantages:

1) more DRM (studios likey)
2) Major proponent (Sony) owns huge volumes of exclusive content that people want
3) Major proponent launching trojan horse subsidized BD player by the millions (PS3)

Cons:
1) more expensive

The only real kicker was the machivellian plan by MS to kill optical formats by gridlocking the next-gen format war, like a superpower dropping weapons to outmatched rebels, MS effectively would keep the conflict going until everyone was sick of war.

But Microsoft's logistics supply line to embattled HD supporters isn't going to turn the tide. The people in denial simply refuse to see the writing on the wall, and cling to the fantasy that a short term price advantage was going to turn the tide. Even if Universal goes format neutral, I can see the HDDVD fnbys saying 'this is no big deal, doesn't mean hddvd is dead'

Basically, IMHO, if you've got HD-DVD, rent discs, dont waste $$$ building up a massive library they you're very probably, and most likely, going to toss into the trash.

Why would anyone need to toss their HD DVD collection into the trash? What...do the discs deteriorate after a couple of viewings? :LOL: :???: :oops:

Basically, IMHO, if you've got HD-DVD, rent discs, dont waste $$$ building up a massive library they you're very probably, and most likely, going to toss into the trash.

So you are planning on tossing out all of your DVDs? Smart Man.

So you are planning on tossing out all of your DVDs? Smart Man.

Apples-to-Oranges.

1) There is a finite amount of shelf share for consumer electronics players. I'm simply not going to keep around a Beta player, a LaserDisc, an 8-track tape player, even if those formats didn't 'rot' and even if their IQ was acceptable. I want to consolidate everything as much as possible.

2) Current BD players play DVDs, CDs, etc already. Maybe if I owned a combo-BD/HDDVD player I'd keep the discs around. The reality is, as the number of titles in my BD collection grew, the HD-DVD player would fall into dis-use collecting dust and I'd be inclined to box it.

3) Yes, I *WILL* throw away some DVDs and replace them with BD. When Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Terminator 1,2,3, Blade Runner, The Rock, ID4, Matrix, etc etc all come out on BD, I'll be turning those DVDs into placeholders.

Did you own a Dreamcast? I did. And as soon as it tanked, I boxed it. I rarely used it after that except to demonstrate Shen Mue. I donated it to a thrift store for a tax write off.

I think this DigitalBits editorial makes the case quite well: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/soapbox/soap060107.html

Apples-to-Oranges.

1) There is a finite amount of shelf share for consumer electronics players. I'm simply not going to keep around a Beta player, a LaserDisc, an 8-track tape player, even if those formats didn't 'rot' and even if their IQ was acceptable. I want to consolidate everything as much as possible.

Sure, but discarding perfectly fine items is a bit different, no?

2) Current BD players play DVDs, CDs, etc already. Maybe if I owned a combo-BD/HDDVD player I'd keep the discs around. The reality is, as the number of titles in my BD collection grew, the HD-DVD player would fall into dis-use collecting dust and I'd be inclined to box it.

I suppose its possible that you have a cramped cabinet and want to free up the room, but if you have room for the Blu-ray and the HD-DVD player now, I don't see how that changes when one format fails. Obviously in the extremely long run if there is no media for the unit it might make sense to ditch it, but my VCR has sat under my TV for the last 5 years without being used (you never know when you'll need it :)).

3) Yes, I *WILL* throw away some DVDs and replace them with BD. When Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Terminator 1,2,3, Blade Runner, The Rock, ID4, Matrix, etc etc all come out on BD, I'll be turning those DVDs into placeholders.

Well you could be waiting a long time for the Matrix, and its pretty foolish to throw anything like a DVD away when you can often get a significant amount of money reselling, and likely that will hold for at least 10 years.

Did you own a Dreamcast? I did. And as soon as it tanked, I boxed it. I rarely used it after that except to demonstrate Shen Mue. I donated it to a thrift store for a tax write off.

So you actually waited until it tanked? Shouldn't you have tossed it right after you bought it when it was clear early on that it would fail? Certainly more clear than hd-dvd V BR is now.

Ehmm what?

Didn´t you pay attention? 70% of the rentals is Blu-Ray, sales is 70%, exclusive content is.. 70%?
I think you're the one failing to pay attention.

HD-DVD player sales are a few hundred thousand, not a million yet. Sony claims to have shipped 5.5M PS3s, but lets say 3-4M are sold. Also, the split was 70/30 in the first quarter, but now is around 60/40. Now, how is that good news when you have over a 10:1 advantage in hardware penetration?

The whole point of my post is that a standalone sale is waaaaay more valuable than a PS3 sale.

Back