Carmack demos new iD engine at WWDC keynote

Just curious, could it be procedural textures, and just what they would take as conventional textures?

No, Carmack doesn't like procedural textures because it doesn't give artists proper control. The point of this tech (as Carmack pointed out) is that the artists can literally hand tweak and paint any of the texturing anywhere in the world.

I`m not getting the exact meaning of your question...if the engine were to employ procedural texturing(which it is not), it would simply create textures on the fly based on math functions(this is simplified). Think of the pixel shader test in...umm...3DMark05, I think, the one with the Marble elephant-the marble texture is procedurally generated through a math function by using shaders. The Farb-Rausch later stuff does the same thing.

What Carmack doest(AFAIR) is procedurally generate(offline) a huge texture, and then compress it with his Megatexture thing, and voila, you've got unique texturing everywhere. Granted, I`m not up to speed with what he`s been doing, this is from what I recall he said when he first started talking about it. And I think the 20GB quote was referring to the uncompressed source-texture, and was used to get everyone wet.:)

On PCs and Macs, we should remember that they'll be installing everything to HDDs, so they can go to the absolute limit with compression on the DVD there (without worrying about decompression time), and use multiple DVDs even since it'd be one-time hassle at install-time. All of that could expand onto the HDD well beyond capacity the capacity of the DVD(s) the game ships on.
Of course. It's not like the forum is unfamiliar with how PC and Mac gaming works. The point is that, at some point, the entirety has to exist on disc and that makes trade-offs between how many discs publishers are willing to press and texture quality.

It would be cool to see an option to download the highest quality stuff if the disc doesn't have it.

Hmm, I don't know, it doesn't look that much better than Unreal 3. The pics actually look more like a turbo charged Prey, which itself was running on a more advance version of the Doom 3 engine.

Visually it doesn't look leaps over the competition, but I guess this part should be cool: "They can go in and look at the world and, say, change the color of the mountaintop, or carve their name into the rock. They can change as much as they want on surfaces with no impact on the game."

Here's a bigger (but still blurry) version of the fourth pic.

Btw, I don't know why people are so surprised at the 20gb mark. JC had already stated they were working on 128k x 128k textures.

And another pic:
1181582066.jpg

Some textures (like the montgolfière one) look really good despite the crapiness of the pictures. Can't wait to see what ID has in store for us... :smile:

I honestly don't get why people are even commenting on what the game may or may not be like. I'd be much more interested to see what Carmacks engine will bring to the table.

Damn people for always being negative. Is that "in" these days?

Sorry, next time I'll be impressed when I'm not at all impressed. Seriously, I just find that overall in a lot of areas its extremely lacking. Its like this was built around the Doom 3 engine, another engine I dislike because every game that uses it has the same look. Why? No clue, thought content and its look was really independent from the engine in several ways, but apparently not when it came to Doom 3 and this has all signs pointing to the same.

I could honestly care less if its 20GB just for the track, if it looks like crap, it looks like crap. I could care less if its early, past trends show you always look your best early anyway.

how on earth ppl can judge the quality from this terrible quality pictures escapes me,
i do like that theres a change of direction from their previous stuff (no corridoor crawl)
visually it looks like its taken inspiration from miyazaki

yes 128k x 128k is the size theyre looking at doing now, ie 16x the size memory of 32k x 32k
storage manufactures are gonna be happy

Sorry, next time I'll be impressed when I'm not at all impressed. Seriously, I just find that overall in a lot of areas its extremely lacking. Its like this was built around the Doom 3 engine, another engine I dislike because every game that uses it has the same look. Why? No clue, thought content and its look was really independent from the engine in several ways, but apparently not when it came to Doom 3 and this has all signs pointing to the same.

Personally this looks nothing like D3/Q4/Prey. And technically speaking you couldn't even do it if you tried. The D3 engine doesn't have HDR, soft shadows, per pixel atmospherics, subsurface scattering, arbitrary megatexture.

I could honestly care less if its 20GB just for the track, if it looks like crap, it looks like crap. I could care less if its early, past trends show you always look your best early anyway.

Screenshots sure, photos of a projection screen never. The point isn't that it's early. The point is that you can't compare carefully selected uncompressed screenshots some marketing guy spent 10 mins deciding over to 300 x 200 photos some random guy on a conference took compressing with 50% quality jpeg because he wanted to take more photos of Max OS X 10.5.

The other part of the graphics equation that many ignore is performance. Many have said D3 normal mapped + stencil shadows look wasn't that impressive after seeing Thief 3, Riddick or the indoor parts of FarCry. What they forgot was that D3 ran faster than those games.

So if id Tech 5 turns out only on par graphically with, for example, Unreal Engine 3 but runs 10% faster it's still an improvement. It's early days, let's wait before passing judgement shall we?

Richard said:
The other part of the graphics equation that many ignore is performance.
Probably something to do with realities of the market. Generally people don't license a certain popular engine in droves, because of performance - more like, inspite of it.

Why do characters in PC type games feel so lifeless, just saw MGS4 trailer again and it felt many times better.

Back