[360, PS3] Tekken 6

It looks better than the previous pictures. Perhaps it will be close to other next gen fighters visually like VF5 but I was expecting more.

I think it already looks quite a bit better than any "next gen" fighter.
The muscles on the characters look very good, there's a ton of detail that's beyond current fighting games.

They're very 'bland' looking though. The choice to steer clear of photo-realism has taken the graphics away from the jaw-dropping make-believe Tekken trailer of E3'05, which comes as a disappointment I think. The texture fidelity looks fantastic, but we're also at mini-pic resolution so can't say for sure.

I think the "blandness" is partly due to lack of shiny-shinyness of the character models' skins.
I'm glad they don't look oiled.

I was expecting the impact TTT had on me on the PS2 in 2000. I think Namco could have done better.

Much much better. I also feel the same as Shifty. I was expecting them to take a more realistic approach especially after seeing the E3 2005 trailer.

I was rather impressed with the new screens, although as mentioned it does lose the "reality" vibe that was given from the trailer of yore. Character models look well constructed (although a bit "thick"), backgrounds are well detailed for the most part, and the lighting and effects shown in some of the shots comes off rather well.

I never was much of a Tekken fan though with the lack of a variety of fighters in this gen I most certainly am going to pick this up. If anything I wish Neo Geo would continue on with some of its high profile 2D fighters or a new Guilty Gear for this gen (that or give me a new Powerstone).

From these screens I must say that i'm.. Well.. Satisfied..

The game doesn't look breathtaking and the action seems to look like it hasn't moved very far away from the core Tekken gameplay we're all familiar with, however the graphics do their job and that's all i'd really expect from a game like this to be honest..

I'm interested to see if they implement some proper body-to-cloth simulation for the characters however judging from the size of the roster list, support for multiple costumes per character & the varied uniqueness of their attire I'd suspect this isn't going to happen anything soon.. Would have been great though..

They're very 'bland' looking though. The choice to steer clear of photo-realism has taken the graphics away from the jaw-dropping make-believe Tekken trailer of E3'05, which comes as a disappointment I think. The texture fidelity looks fantastic, but we're also at mini-pic resolution so can't say for sure.

Same here. I would have liked them to use a more realistic lighting and effects, similar to Fight Night 3 (PS3 version). But then again all screenshots before this batch showed the "plastic" look, so no surprise here.

"Plastic fighters confirmed" :p

Betanumerical's recent post about Octave Engine [ thanks to Google Cache ] ;
Betanumerical said:
I'm going to play the resurrection card, because this is the youngest Tekken 6 thread I could find.

Today / recently it got announced that Tekken 6 will use the Octave engine, which is a physics engine for simulating sand, water, etc.

Some Info and a youtube video.

At the Tokyo Game Show 2007 Prometech Software announced the Octave Engine,a physics simulation engine for games.The engine is based on a variety of simulation technologies invented in academic labs and is described by Prometech as Natural Environment Middleware.Octave Engine is the world's first simulation engine,that can dynamically simulate hydrodynamics on a game console.Tekken 6,an arcade game from Bandai Namco Games to be released this winter,employs this engine to calculate the movements of the water surface in the fighting environment.Based on the hydrodynamic theories,Octave Engine is capable of exactly and immediately simulating waves and splashes,in accordance with the positions of game characters and the impact of their movements.As well as simulating water,the Octave Engine can also simulate the natural colours of the sky and the physics of other small particle systems such as sand."Sand,water and the sky can be combined into one simulation,the sand can be raised and lowered and interact with the water and other objects in real-time."The latest version of the Octave Engine will be released by Prometech Software in December.

There are some interesting videos floating around of Tekken 6 on youtube, from the Arcade version I think. Among which this one:

Hi,

didn't want to make a new thread. Seems as if this is actually the tekken 6 thread to discuss about the game. Even if the last posts are a bit old.

Are there still no new infos about the ps3 release? From what the offical trailer said, it was scheduled for 2007. The arcade version was obviously released in 2007 and is obviously running on ps3 actually. But what about the retail version of tekken 6 for ps3? Why does it take so much longer?

Here are some pictures of the arcade version which were posted in another thread on this board:
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/tekken6/_arcscreens.php?gid=t5arc&pagenumber=10

The resolution of the pictures in this thread and from the arcade version all seem to be 720p. Is the arcade version running at 1280 x 720? What about the framerate? 60fps? Stable? Does someone know more about that?

Could it be, that they delayed the release because they are going to make the retail version running at 1920 x 1080 with 60fps?

Could it be, that they delayed the release because they are going to make the retail version running at 1920 x 1080 with 60fps?

Highly unlikely considering it'd be the first fighting game to manage that. I'd venture a guess to say we'll end up with (and up-scaleable) 1280*720 image with 2xaa as is standard fare at this point!

Having it run at 60fps might also be an issue if the original game didn't run that fast (you'll have to forgive my absence of knowledge about this - I can't find a Tekken 6 cabinet to save my soul here in the states). If the original game was locked at 30 and the console version hits 60 (lets say) frame counting and timing will be completely screwed up (for better or worse, it'd be a largely different game).

I'm fine if the game gets released in 720p native though - it's what Soul Calibur does (sort of) and it looks terrific for a fighting game!

Jack

I'm not sure why anyone would even bother talking about 30fps in the same sentence as Tekken.

As far as the resolution goes, Tekken 5 on PSN was 1080p, but it would be surprising to see much difference between SC4 and this game in that respect. Also, it's very obvious that Tekken 6 and SC4 aren't going to be released too close to each other, so that in and of itself is enough reason to not have Tekken 6 out there too soon.

There are tonnes of videos out there now showing how this game again hasn't changed much - most of the improvements seem to be in the animation. This user alone has 1500 movies or something:

http://www.youtube.com/user/feichunwong

The environments look nice but otherwise, I think there are VERY few games that have changed this little over the different console generations. :(

I'm not sure why anyone would even bother talking about 30fps in the same sentence as Tekken.

As far as the resolution goes, Tekken 5 on PSN was 1080p, but it would be surprising to see much difference between SC4 and this game in that respect. Also, it's very obvious that Tekken 6 and SC4 aren't going to be released too close to each other, so that in and of itself is enough reason to not have Tekken 6 out there too soon.

There are tonnes of videos out there now showing how this game again hasn't changed much - most of the improvements seem to be in the animation. This user alone has 1500 movies or something:

http://www.youtube.com/user/feichunwong

The environments look nice but otherwise, I think there are VERY few games that have changed this little over the different console generations. :(

Tekken 6 smacks Tekken 5 around with a dead trout in nearly everything (played about 10 games at arcade and own Tekken5).

Highly unlikely considering it'd be the first fighting game to manage that. I'd venture a guess to say we'll end up with (and up-scaleable) 1280*720 image with 2xaa as is standard fare at this point!

Having it run at 60fps might also be an issue if the original game didn't run that fast (you'll have to forgive my absence of knowledge about this - I can't find a Tekken 6 cabinet to save my soul here in the states). If the original game was locked at 30 and the console version hits 60 (lets say) frame counting and timing will be completely screwed up (for better or worse, it'd be a largely different game).

I'm fine if the game gets released in 720p native though - it's what Soul Calibur does (sort of) and it looks terrific for a fighting game!

Jack

Tekken 5 runs at 60fps. Tekken 5:DR on the PSN runs at 1080p and 60fps

I think ten times is enough to know if iteration n of a franchise is either "much better" or "pretty much the same" as iteration n-1.

Tekken 5 runs at 60fps. Tekken 5:DR on the PSN runs at 1080p and 60fps

Well ya, but wasn't Tekken 5 running on souped up PS2 hardware? I'm not trying to be difficult here - just curious.

Is it confirmed that T5: DR is actually 1080p native? For some reason I thought it one of those games rendered at a lower rez, then upscaled to 1080p - again, merely my curiousity!

Jack

I think ten times is enough to know if iteration n of a franchise is either "much better" or "pretty much the same" as iteration n-1.

Well he said 10 games instead of 10 times, times might include multiple games. In my opinion 10 games is nowhere near to make any sort of analysis, other than the obvious things like graphics. Especially in this case, where the changes between iterations are typically quite small. It would have helped if he mentioned some of the improvements.

Well he said 10 games instead of 10 times, times might include multiple games. In my opinion 10 games is nowhere near to make any sort of analysis, other than the obvious things like graphics. Especially in this case, where the changes between iterations are typically quite small. It would have helped if he mentioned some of the improvements.

1 game for me is when i get frustrated from getting owned by my friend and give up. which could be anywhere from 1 - 8 actual games. I'm mainly commenting on the graphics anyway.

Back