Manhunt 2

Lol. So its OK to shoot nazi's in realistic ww2 games, its OK to beat hookers with your baseballbat in GTA, Your average action movie with X amount of people killed is OK but manhunt is, for some reason, not OK?

Well to be totally honest, Manhunt is MUCH more morbid than any WW2 or GTA style game I've ever seen.

The censorship is bullshit though.

Manhunt 2 isn't being released on 360 and PS3. It is being released on PS2 however so your point stands if that version isn't being investigated.
Also the PSP. Hey, maybe they'll complain about the PSP version differently, as you'll be able to actually HUNT people while playing it! At least with the Wii and PS2 version, you're tethered to your console and TV. :p

I mean, if you're in the middle of a mugging and need a quick murder refresher course, you've got it right there!

it's still nice to see come M rated games running on a nintendo console...i mean..i was a nintendo fan back in the SNES days..there was pretty EVERYTHING on that (wonderful) console...i would be glad to see more different kind of games on the wii.

Everything except blood in MK1 or death and religious references in FFIV...

Here's the BBFC's explanation : http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25909

"Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing.
"There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game," he continued.
It's not the concept of killing itself that has led to a ban, but the content, subject and execution. Manhunt II is about the player being sadistic, with no 'positive' side to it, and with a closer approximation towards realism of behaviour.

Than its still nonsence. GTA isnt alot more than sadistic violance either. I mean, what is the ''positive'' side about kicking the crap out of woman and earn money that way?

Beyond that, this banning of things should stop. Governments want us not to smoke, not to drink, not to play certain games, not to watch certain movies etc. Seems there is little freedom these days, the government knows whats best for you.

Anyone should be able to buy anything, I cant see how in a true democracy it is allowed to a certain game cant be bought.

Believe it or not, this bit of news could actually help the game sell (well, not including the banned places anyway) a bit more than if they did just kept quiet. Controversy sells and they're practically giving the game free advertising. I was wondering when the game's going to gain some much needed free ads.

actually it could just be because on the wii mote you actually have to do the actual movement for the action, not just hit A

Anyone should be able to buy anything, I cant see how in a true democracy it is allowed to a certain game cant be bought.

Really? So let's make a game where you play a pedophile who needs to sneak around getting their "thrills" while avoiding the police.

I'm not one to promote censorship but there needs to be SOME responsibility on behalf of the public. People do become desensitized to things if they are exposed to it frequently and even more if they are actively engaged in whatever activity. I'm not saying it will necessarily cause more violence to depict violence, but it does heighten the possibilty I think.

The only thing that's unnacceptable to the public is that these people are in a position to be able to tell the public what they are and aren't allowed to buy. Absolutely disgraceful and even though I care little for the game itself I'll be protesting this strongly for both versions of the game.
Would you feel the same about racist and paedo material being made available to the public? Or drug agencies not banning harmful drugs. I'm sure most people don't mind that such stuff is banned from general release. And it is telling the public what they are and aren't allowed to buy.

For a Board that's approved games like the first ManHunt, Soldier of Fortune and GTA & rarely cuts movies. I'd trust their decisions. Rockstar knew the guidelines and were clearly asking for it when they made this game.

Really? So let's make a game where you play a pedophile who needs to sneak around getting their "thrills" while avoiding the police.
Those would never make it anywhere, but I don't believe it has to be laws to "protect us" from such things. It would never find a publisher, never find any retailer to sell their game, never find an ISP paying any modicum of attention to host their website, not to mention would have people literally crying for the developers' blood and probably willing to step it up to violence if they knew who and where they were. But hey, if you're not willing to compromise your vision as a game designer, then by all means! :p

Why do people always ask "would you be fine if...?" hypotheticals that would never, EVER be the case? You don't need laws to protect you from things that society abhors regardless. Such subject matters would be resigned to the deepest, darkest corners of the internet, and you know what...? If you want to go looking for them, they're there. (I don't know about all subjects, of course, but KKK/white-supremacists have their own little vomitous FPSes you could acquire, and there have been Columbine recreations, and all sorts of other farked up shite.)

In fact, you could probably find some experts to testify that such games would be beneficial, as it would allow dangerous and potentially-dangerous sorts to have an outlet to indulge their fantasies without harm, rather than "crossing over the edge." Screwy, no?

I understand what you are saying and what I'm trying to do is simply make sure that we always keep in mind that some line must be drawn somewhere on what is acceptable.

As a gaming community, we see people like Joe Leiberman as anti-gamers who are just trying to pigeonhole gaming as some sort of catalyst for the downfall of society. But we can't simply dismiss all of these concerns. Some are actually valid and we need to keep our objectivity on it.

The point about being able to fulfill such sadistic desires in a videogame as some sort of therapy might also indulge those to try it out in real life, we simply cannot say, but it could nontheless have very negative consequences.

Maybe it's a problem that people don't abhor the fact that this game seems to celebrate in such sadistic acts even if it is part of a make-believe world. The fact is that this game won't be tucked away in the back of some dark and cold alleyway but rather likely right up front in local gaming shops and store chains.

Psychological studies have shown that viewing violence predisposes humans to become more violent. This is only more prevalent in children, but it does exist nontheless in adults as well. The idea that adults cannot be shaped in any degree is a fallacy. People can be desensitized, so even marketing such violence strictly to adults can have its own reprocussions.

...and that stops the myriad of horror movie ads from hitting prime-time television, and being readily accessable?

Certainly some of THAT is complained about, too, but the standards between media sources are screwball. We're still far too much OH NOES, TEH VIDEO GAEMS! right now, and people deserve a swift kick in the groin until they realize this, and stop sensationalizing and applying hollow, contradictory standards.

You already got games like that, plenty of japanese hentai games wich involve underage looking girls. No police avoiding though but close enough. Besides if in the west you can find a dev, publisher or store to sell a game like this besides that its disturbing that you want to play something like this I dont see why it should be banned if it doesnt include any real images.

I was rather including "realistic depition" by default, since that's what Manhunt aspires to. Hentai games are their own queer beast.

To put some more oil in the fire...

Manhunt2 gets an Adults Only Rating in US

Kotaku said:
Take-Two just confirmed with Kotaku that the Entertainment Software Ratings Board gave both the PS2 and Wii versions of Manhunt 2 a preliminary rating of Adults Only, which would essentially bar it from all of the Wal-Marts and Targets of the world.

"The ESRB has issued an initial rating of AO (Adults Only) for Manhunt 2," Take-Two said in a prepared statement. "We believe the process of rating videogames is to help people make informed entertainment choices and not to limit them. Manhunt 2 was created for mature audiences and we strongly believe it should receive an M (Mature) rating, aligning it with similar content created in other forms of media. We are exploring our options with regard to Manhunt 2."

EDIT: Rockstar reaction
When asked if the game might receive a work over to tone it down, the spokesman said it was too early to tell.

"We have to explore all of the options," he said. "I think it's too early to go into all of that right now."

Than its still nonsence. GTA isnt alot more than sadistic violance either. I mean, what is the ''positive'' side about kicking the crap out of woman and earn money that way?
That is not what GTA is "about" though, it's a part of the game that you don't have to do at all.

Manhunt is about brutally/sadistically murdering people.

Would you feel the same about racist and paedo material being made available to the public? Or drug agencies not banning harmful drugs. I'm sure most people don't mind that such stuff is banned from general release. And it is telling the public what they are and aren't allowed to buy.

What an absolutely pointless comparison.. nothing more to be said really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back