Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Natoma

Veteran
Some information is finally starting to come out about this game. Nintendo issued a press release today stating that this game is due to launch August 20th.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/790/790231p1.html

Hopefully we get to see some screenshots and movies soon. We haven't received anything new since last September unfortunately.

I've never been into the whole metroid thing so im still curious weater I'll like mp3 or not, but I hope nintendo did a good job on the online part because I and alot of others been waiting for a good online shooter for Wii (im still hoping valve will release CS on wii). Also, for the love of god I hope nintendo made sure the games looks way above what GC could do. I know gfx arnt everything but nintendo needs to set somewhat of a example that devs cant keep on releasing ps2 like games.

original metroid a was my favorite game of last gen, hopefully i'll be able to actually find a wii by the time corruption hits the shelves;)

I find this pretty interesting. Metroid Prime was probably my favorite last gen game... while the second was a disappointment to me. I felt that the vibrant colors and feeling of a living world was lost in the second game. I really hope that Retro have managed to get back to the amazing world design of the first game. =/ The drab darkworld was quite boring by comparison. I also think Nintendo is making a wise move in releasing it on August 20th. If I recall correctly Metroid Prime 2 and Halo 2 were released together (confirmed Metroid Prime 2 was on 11/15/04 and Halo 2 on 11/09/04). This definitely was not to Retro's advantage. This time around Metroid will be out of the gate first, which is telling in another way. If Metroid isn't being held back to fight against Halo and hype the holiday season, Nintendo's other heavy hitters must be ready for that job. Which means I'd expect either Mario Galaxy or Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Though I'm much more excited about Metroid than either of those titles) to align closely with Halo 3's launch. This is going to be a great year for Nintendo and possibly the best year in the history of gaming across all platforms!

And we've got screens: http://www.wiids.nl/article.php?id=20621

Looks pretty disappointing to me. Still low geometry, still lots of jaggies, still not exactly sharp textures, I dont see shadows or half decent lighting etc. If you compare it to MP2 all they did was make it a bit sharper and a little bit sharper textures.

I was hoping mp3 would give a idea what Wii could do, but it seems they didnt took any more effort than your average 3rd party dev as far as gfx goes. Or Wii really cant do anything better than this.

edit: screenshot IGN took from a trailer:

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20060606064049827.jpg

Already looks alot better, though thats often the case with photo's taken from a tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
And we've got screens: http://www.wiids.nl/article.php?id=20621

Looks pretty disappointing to me. Still low geometry, still lots of jaggies, still not exactly sharp textures, I dont see shadows or half decent lighting etc. If you compare it to MP2 all they did was make it a bit sharper and a little bit sharper textures.

I was hoping mp3 would give a idea what Wii could do, but it seems they didnt took any more effort than your average 3rd party dev as far as gfx goes. Or Wii really cant do anything better than this.

edit: screenshot IGN took from a trailer:

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20060606064049827.jpg

Already looks alot better, though thats often the case with photo's taken from a tv.
Atlast a great Wii title :D

Didnt expect anything less from Nintendo. I love the visuals in these screens (although badly captured).

I don't know if those images are new, but they're certainly blown up, which makes them look washed out and jaggy. I await some play tests or at least lots of images and videos of Prime from the show.

I don't know if those images are new, but they're certainly blown up, which makes them look washed out and jaggy. I await some play tests or at least lots of images and videos of Prime from the show.

Yea when I looked at the images from t_o_c's url, they looked eerily like the ones from IGN which were shown last September. That and the fact that I seriously doubt Nintendo would put out new screenshots of Metroid Prime 3 without contacting ever major online and print gaming organization to gin up the excitement, and I'm finding myself hesitant to accept these screens as anything other than old builds.

That's not to say that MP3 won't actually look like that, but I find it odd that there's no coverage at IGN, Gamespot, or any other online websites.

I feel sorry for the guys at Retro. I'm sure they're doing their best with the hand they've been dealt. It's just kind of a sad time to be an FPS game developer on a Nintendo platform.

For the PS3 and 360, even a third rate developer with 1/10th the experience the Retro guys have could license the unreal engine and develop a vastly better looking game that what we are seeing here at this point.

I feel sorry for the guys at Retro. I'm sure they're doing their best with the hand they've been dealt. It's just kind of a sad time to be an FPS game developer on a Nintendo platform.

For the PS3 and 360, even a third rate developer with 1/10th the experience the Retro guys have could license the unreal engine and develop a vastly better looking game that what we are seeing here at this point.
What are you saying? Nintendo's not fit for Retro? They did a pretty good job with the first Metroid Prime. I'd say to give them more time to polish the game than to ppush it out as soon is alot better. (Besides, Prime is, and never was, meant to be a Halo of sorts.)

And you're just talking all visuals here. I'm interested in seeing what other motion control features Retro can bring aside from the obvious grappling hook...and if they can pull of more sequence breaking in their level design while not feeling broken.

What are you saying? Nintendo's not fit for Retro? They did a pretty good job with the first Metroid Prime. I'd say to give them more time to polish the game than to push it out as soon is a lot better. (Besides, Prime is, and never was, meant to be a Halo of sorts.)

No, they did a great job with Metroid Prime. My point is that last generation the GC could hold it's own against even Xbox1 visually in a FPS game. But This generation, the HW spec game is so stacked against Retro.

Even if they try their damnedest, they will be hard pressed to beat the visual fidelity of a game made by a freshman dev team working on the PS3 or X360. Even if they manage to figure out several clever ways to work in waggle in to the game, the waggle part is going to be like %1 of the game play.

FPS games have always been dominated by the quality of their graphics. Out of all genres, the FPS genre arguably have the biggest gains when you improve the graphics.

But I doubt everyone at Retro is crying. And the few who are will likely get to wipe away their tears with $100 bills.

While I 100% agree with you that FPS games need good gfx alot more than other games but I dont see why Retro would be crying because some nameless dev can pump out better gfx on x360/ps3 than they can do on Wii. Thats like saying Schumi does a bad not driving his fiat punto around the track as fast as Massa drives the F2007.

metroid prime series can not be classified as a fps though. it's a first person adventure game that mainly focuses on puzzle solving and exploration. retro has had taken the basic metroid formula and successfully adapted it into 3d. (very much like how nintendo adapted classical 2d zelda mechanics into 3d realm with zelda: ocarina of time)

metroid prime series can not be classified as a fps though. it's a first person adventure game that mainly focuses on puzzle solving...

I disagree. Maybe MP is a tweener of sorts, somewhere between Oblivion and __________ FPS, but it is definitely FPS. Everyone can come to a simple compromise if it is labeled a FPS adventure (d'oh). I say this because the primary weapon, door opener is a gun and the primary goal throughout the game is to collect weapons that open more doors.

I played the first one on the cheap and had a great time. The second is on my last gen games list. Metroid Prime was so immersive that I felt more faux-realism in that tightly designed world than in corridor crawling generic fps(es).

Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS is, quite surprisingly, a great First Person Adventure (FPA. happy Nero? :)). I use the following scheme to maneuver:

Control Pad for forward/backward/strafe. A/B/X/Y for Up, Down, Left, Right. I fire with the left and right shoulder buttons. Quite intuitive. And the graphics, environments, and framerate are better than N64 quality imo.

I disagree. Maybe MP is a tweener of sorts, somewhere between Oblivion and __________ FPS, but it is definitely FPS. Everyone can come to a simple compromise if it is labeled a FPS adventure (d'oh). I say this because the primary weapon, door opener is a gun and the primary goal throughout the game is to collect weapons that open more doors.

I played the first one on the cheap and had a great time. The second is on my last gen games list. Metroid Prime was so immersive that I felt more faux-realism in that tightly designed world than in corridor crawling generic fps(es).

since there is no such industry accepted standarts for videogame genre classificiation ; ) it's only natural that we are disagreeing. here is a summary of my logical progression :

1- fps' games by definition are shooters that are played in first person perspective.

2- to be classified as a shooter game, the main focus/activity of the game should be shooting.

3- if we are trying to classify a game that borrows elements from different genres, our question to define the genre that the games belongs to should be "what's most prominent game mechanic in this game?"

4-metroid prime has shooting, platforming, puzzle solving (ala zelda), exploration elements.

5-i'd not classify mp1&2 as fps games because in my experience shooting enemies was never the focal point/prominent game mechanic of the game.

When did making a FPS (not that MP is even a FPS) become an excercise in graphics effects? If the most important thing to a FPS developer is "just how shiny can we make these graphics?" then its a sad day for everybody on every platform.

As it is I'd say that because of the Wii controller this could be the best time ever to be a FPS game developer on a Nintendo system. Apparently Retro have seen that and capatilised on it, its a pitty no other developer has yet (appart from maybe COD3 which had pretty excellent controls).

When did making a FPS (not that MP is even a FPS) become an excercise in graphics effects? If the most important thing to a FPS developer is "just how shiny can we make these graphics?" then its a sad day for everybody on every platform.

I think if we go through sales data on FPS games we would notice a strong correlation with graphics and sales. Specially on PC.

Back