PS3 Linux DLNA media server/player software in the works

Titanio

Legend
Cool to see. It's still in development, the player side isn't ready for showtime apparently because they're still working on codecs for Cell. Not sure either about what codecs will be supported and at what resolutions, but I guess it's main selling point is DLNA compliance. They demonstrated the PS3 acting as a DLNA server at this show.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20070521/132856/

accessps304bh8.jpg

More info and a couple more pics at the link.

NetFront Living Connect

http://www.access-company.com/german/PDF/120406_NFLC.pdf

Media Format
==========
Image (JPEG, BMP, PNG)
Audio (MP3, WAVE, LPCM, AAC)
Video (MPEG-2, MPEG-4)
+ Planned support for others in order
+ Windows Media® Audio, Windows Media Video,
+ AVC/H.264,AAC, WAVE, etc.
+ Software codec provides NetFront Audio/Video Codec Module

DRM Option
=========
DTCP-IP (Option)
Windows Media DRM 10 (Option)

May not be free, but if everything is ported... looks promising :)

The fact that this appears to be limited to SD lowers the excitement factor a bit. Personally, I would (if I had a PS3) like the player functionality to be integrated into the XMB.

Somewhat OT, it just occured to me how well Sony is equipped to build a complete ecosystem of DLNA devices if they choose to. It's completely at odds with the everything in one box solution that is the PS3, though. For example, they may be loathe to create an more-focused gateway device (Media Renderer in DLNA parlance) since it would compete with some of the PS3 functions. I'll elaborate on what I would see as the ideal Sony-branded media setup when I have more time.

It's completely at odds with the everything in one box solution that is the PS3, though. For example, they may be loathe to create an more-focused gateway device (Media Renderer in DLNA parlance) since it would compete with some of the PS3 functions.
Really? Where is PSP in your picture?

There is no reason why a PS3 can't be a Media Renderer, Media Server *and* Media Controller. PSP can be a Media Renderer or a Media Controller, especially in Remote Play.

There can be more than one of everything in a typical home network too. It's really up to the owner and what devices they have. Now that DLNA is out of the bag, I can start to plan my layout (Muahahaha !).

EDIT:
Isn't Access the company that did the PS3 and PSP web browsers ? If so, it should be possible for Netfront to extend the web browser to support DLNA. In doing so, we would be able to browse, manage and play/control media within the Game OS. Not sure if they can do a XMB version of the Media Server (probably not).

In any case, if you're interested to do a web app for PS3, here's a brief article on the PS3 web browser: http://www.design215.com/read.php?title=playstation 3 browser specs

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. I would pay for such a product if it was significantly a better living room experience than what I have currently rigged in Linux.

The PSP browser is theirs, the PS3 browser is Sony in-house though its look is made similar to the PSP one.

Are you sure about that? I was pretty sure that the PS3 was using a version of NetFront as well, though obviously one customized for PS3.

Really? Where is PSP in your picture?

It would be a Media Renderer and a Control Point. It would enable you to playback network content using its own playback capablities or control the playback of another device. It's capabilities actually make it very suitable for this.

There is no reason why a PS3 can't be a Media Renderer, Media Server *and* Media Controller.

True, but it's a bit overkill for a Media Renderer. A more dedicated device would be preferable. Especially if you want to minimize duplicated functionality. I'm not saying the PS3 is bad in any of these roles. I'm just saying dedicated devices would be better, providing it is your intention to do a full build-out.

So my vision would be a system where the XMB-based UIs tie all the devices together. Learn one, and you can quickly learn the rest.

An example system could have:

Multiple DVRs
Multiple Media Renderer devices (which may or may not include BR drives)
A BR disc jukebox (100+ disc) that automatically downloads movie info upon disc insertion so these discs can be easily browsed from the XMB interface.
An Hard Disk-Based Media Server
A PC (pretty much still the best way to acquire, edit, and reformat content that's suitable for playback on all these different devices). This can also serve as the Hard Disk-Based Media Server.
A PSP for mobile viewing and control.

From a hardware standpoint I think this would be an ideal system (I didn't include the TVs, receivers, etc). And using a single UI model would greatly simplify system operation.

True, but it's a bit overkill for a Media Renderer.
HD contents playback will become common in the next few years especially when managed copy in a home network is implemented in Blu-ray.
Are you sure about that? I was pretty sure that the PS3 was using a version of NetFront as well, though obviously one customized for PS3.
I'm sure. From this interview with Kawanishi (the software platform head of SCEI)
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/1219/mobile360.htm
This browser is developed in-house and ported from the software technology originally for internet appliances developed within the Sony group. Though the UI and rendering results have similar atmosphere, it has no relation to the PSP browser.

True, but it's a bit overkill for a Media Renderer. A more dedicated device would be preferable. Especially if you want to minimize duplicated functionality. I'm not saying the PS3 is bad in any of these roles. I'm just saying dedicated devices would be better, providing it is your intention to do a full build-out.

They (The DLNA folks) need to have a setup that is very simple to start the ball rolling. So even if the PS3 is an overkill, an all-in-one device (Media Server + Media Renderer + Media Controller) like a PS3 or PC would be a great starting point. The users can add more DLNA devices over time to suit their needs.

Also having PS3 as a Media Renderer would avoid playing back full screen Blu-ray movies over today's home network (Mostly 100 base T).

So my vision would be a system where the XMB-based UIs tie all the devices together. Learn one, and you can quickly learn the rest.

An example system could have:

Multiple DVRs
Multiple Media Renderer devices (which may not include BR drives)
A BR disc jukebox (100+ disc) that automatically downloads movie info upon disc insertion so these discs can be easily browsed from the XMB interface.
An Hard Disk-Based Media Server
A PC (pretty much still the best way to acquire, edit, and reformat content that's suitable for playback on all these different devices). This can also serve as the Hard Disk-Based Media Server.
A PSP for mobile viewing and control.

From a hardware standpoint I think this would be an ideal system (I didn't include the TVs, receivers, etc). And using a single UI model would greatly simplify system operation.

The nice thing about DLNA is its flexibility and openness. I don't think there is one ideal setup. We should be able to mix and match based on our individual needs.

A PS3 will allow fullscreen Blu-ray playback on the TV, and also conversion to a smaller screen for PSP playback remotely (Remote Play). It can also serve as a jukebox for my laptops (I have moved most of my family photos and videos to my PS3 because my work laptops are running out of space).

If possible, Access should differentiate their DLNA solution from PS3's by going open source (partially). That way the community can customize the environment, and come up with something new.

A PS3 will allow fullscreen Blu-ray playback on the TV, and also conversion to a smaller screen for PSP playback remotely (Remote Play).

Does it support Blu-Ray over remote play? When I tried this around launch, it didn't.

No ! I played with it some more and found out that Blu-ray playback is not launchable over RemotePlay. As long as there is Hi-Def disc playback, the player (in this case, PS3) should be a Media Renderer so that we don't have to stream the elephant across LAN to enjoy the full experience.

Have been fooling around with Tversity, trying to get MP4 conversion to work via ffdshow filters. For some reason, my PC refused to use them. I have removed all media apps + codecs (including WMP 9) and reinstalled only WMP 11 and ffdshow, but still no go. Will have to trace the chain when I have more time. A cheap(er), all-in-one box is still my preference for a robust Media Server setup.

If Netfront DLNA software is ready and PS3 price has dropped, I might just pick up a copy and another PS3. The main reason is it seems to have all the important codecs (including DRM WMV support based on its spec); plus Cell should be faster at transcoding media than a similarly priced PC.

Back