Pushing the SD39P2

Tisan

Newcomer
Hey guys,

I've been looking at the XPCs for a while now, due to size and convenience, but never thought I'd be able to use one for gaming/video encoding etc.

Until I saw this:
It supports both Quad Core and even an 8800 GTX.
For future reference, its PSU is apparently a 400W/ 450 peak.

I was sceptical to say the least, until I read this review.

This guy stick a Q6600, 2GB RAM, usual Optical, TWO WD Raptors in RAID 0, as well as a 750GB Seagate, and finally an 8800GTX in there.
Apparently it works.

My proposed syetm is slightly more modest, but highly comparable:
Q6600 G0
2GB RAM
8800GTS 640
One Internal Raptor (all other storage is already external for convenience)
Optical drive

Now I know it will techically work, but does anyone know if I'm looking at a 6 month lifespan here?
I'm not wanting to overclock anything (though according to these guys one can do so).

My power consumption concerns have pretty much been laid to rest with the first review, so my main concern is the thermal envelope, and thus lifespan.

Will this be pushing the limits, or do you guys think I'm good to go?

Many thanks for any help :D

I think you should be fine if your worried about heat cut a large hole in the top and put in a wire or mesh grille maybe even a nice 120mm fan or two

I think you should wait a couple weeks, and see what the SX38P3 Deluxe looks like when they release it. You might even be forced to, since the SD39P2 is out of stock/discontinued almost everywhere (I'd know, I was going to buy one). I'm glad I waited, cause the specs on the SX38P3 are pretty damn good
Shuttle XPC Barebone SX38P3 Deluxe (Prima Series)
Intel X38 / ICH9R, supports Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Quad / Core™ 2 Duo / Core™ 2 Duo E4000 Series, Dual-Core E2000 series w/ 775 socket, max. 8 GB DDR2 800 (OC to 1066 MHz), 2x PCI-E X16, Gigabit, Firewire, SATA2 Raid, 2x eSATA, 8-ch. audio, 8x USB, Fingerprint recognition, WLAN, Bluetooth, 400 W PSU, 325(L) x 210(W) x 220(H) mm (Preliminary Specifications)

Now that's the specs for the Deluxe version, I'm guessing the regular SX38P3 will be similar, but with 1 PCIe x16/1 PCI, and none of the bluetooth, wlan, fingerprint stuff.

I'll be picking up the Deluxe the day it shows up at NewEgg, but I'll probably be sticking with a dual core for now. I'll make the jump to quad core when penryn chips are out, since even the current G0 quads can get pretty toasty in an SD39P2.

Thanks for the help guys :D

I never knew the SX38P3 even existed - I guess I'll have to wait and see how much it will cost me first, and if the non-deluxe version can handle a dual slot card and a PCI card at the same time :]
Interesting to note the OC capabilities too, it'll probably be worth that price difference. Not to mention now I know it's possible to fit another fan in the top (I was told I couldn't).

A couple of weeks is not a long time at all seeing as I was looking to upgrade at the end of September.

Thanks again!

Just an update:

Latest word I'm reading is that the SX38P3 won't be out until near the end of the year. Bastards! However, the SP35P2 Pro should be out within a week or two (EU release date is week 37). The SP35P2 has the P35 chipset, but most of the other specs are the same. It doesn't have the bluetooth or wlan, but it does have the fingerprint reader. It also has 1xPCIe-X16 and 1xPCI, instead of 2xPCIe-X16, but I doubt I'd ever use SLI or Crossfire. The press release also mentions a mini slot, which has something to do with Intel Turbo Memory. Not sure how useful it really is, though.

Since I need a new PC now, I'm going to pick this one up. I really wish it had built in bluetooth, but with 8 USB ports adding a bluetooth dongle isn't so bad. And the P35 chipset looks to be pretty good, so I doubt waiting for the X38 is going to give me much of a performance increase.

http://eu.shuttle.com/en/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-53/140_read-14334/
http://eu.shuttle.com/en/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-72/170_read-14323/

Back