Grand Theft Auto VI [GTA 6]: What can we expect?

7800xt uses 250 watts. They will need to shave almost 100 off to fit in the power envelope of a console. How are you proposing this will be done without a drop in performance?

The only way this can happen is if Sony buy's up a lot of 3nm space or if they just put a 7900xtx in the original ps5 casing and have it plug into a ps5 slim and that combined becomes voltron..... errr the ps5 pro

7800xt uses 250 watts. They will need to shave almost 100 off to fit in the power envelope of a console. How are you proposing this will be done without a drop in performance?
The PS5 CPU likely sips power at the measly 3.5Ghz it runs at, so most of the power can go to the GPU. At 5nm, it will use even less, though will likely get a clock boost to offset that.

Either way, they can probably allow the GPU to consume ~180w of power or so. Maybe even 200w if they up the power supply. I'd bet a 7800XT wouldn't lose that much performance with such a power envelope.

The PS5 CPU likely sips power at the measly 3.5Ghz it runs at, so most of the power can go to the GPU. At 5nm, it will use even less, though will likely get a clock boost to offset that.

Either way, they can probably allow the GPU to consume ~180w of power or so. Maybe even 200w if they up the power supply. I'd bet a 7800XT wouldn't lose that much performance with such a power envelope.
PS5 uses 200~ watts in its entirety. There is no way they can allocate 180 of that to just the GPU. I would need to see some numbers to believe the rest of the components can fit into a 20 watt envelope. Latest rumors point to a 50-60% general performance improvement which fits right in line with a down clocked 7800xt. As we know, RDNA 3 brought next to nothing in terms of power efficiency improvements despite being a full node smaller.

PS5 uses 200~ watts in its entirety. There is no way they can allocate 180 of that to just the GPU. I would need to see some numbers to believe the rest of the components can fit into a 20 watt envelope. Latest rumors point to a 50-60% general performance improvement which fits right in line with a down clocked 7800xt. As we know, RDNA 3 brought next to nothing in terms of power efficiency improvements despite being a full node smaller.
PS5 goes up to 210-220w.

Either way, there's no rule that a console has to limit itself to PS5's power supply limits. Such a weird reference to try and consider a hard line.

I dont think any credible leakers say anything about actual performance lift in terms of percentage, which of course they wouldn't. Genuine leaks at this would consist of specs and little more. And if it is actually 60CU, then it's not unreasonable for it to not be far off a 7800XT.

I think it's less power consumption and more cooling. Look at the size of the ps5 and now your going to put in an even more power hungry gpu ? Also the 7800xt has a massive heatsink without having a cpu attached.

I have no doubt the ps5 pro will offer better performance but they would need a shrink plus likely a new version of rdna likely 4 to offer 7800xt performance

PS5 goes up to 210-220w.

Either way, there's no rule that a console has to limit itself to PS5's power supply limits. Such a weird reference to try and consider a hard line.

I dont think any credible leakers say anything about actual performance lift in terms of percentage, which of course they wouldn't. Genuine leaks at this would consist of specs and little more. And if it is actually 60CU, then it's not unreasonable for it to not be far off a 7800XT.
I theorized some time ago that max power consumption has being upped to ~230W (when some games magically gained up to 5% performance after a system update...). I expect Pro will hit about that number as Sony seem confident they can reliably cool a 230W console. With the progress they made with 'slim' cooling they could even go a bit higher.

The GTA5 code was leaked and some PC modder recreated the GTA6 trailer in GTA5

That's some amazing work by the modder! Rockstar could have obviously done better given their resources but this is still a very close matching of scenes and animations and really highlights the massive 2 generational graphical difference between the 2 games.

Fall 2025 release.

Still a fair wait.

And twelve years between games, yeesh. Imagine, GTAVII probably wont arrive til the late 2030's! lol
Yeah they're going to milk the hell out of GTA VI and its online. We'll definitely be getting a new gen update for the PS6.

That's some amazing work by the modder! Rockstar could have obviously done better given their resources but this is still a very close matching of scenes and animations and really highlights the massive 2 generational graphical difference between the 2 games.
I think we're going to see more and possibly better. I was more blown away by the leaked developer videos so I expect it to look and play much much better. Also I think they're dedicating a lot more resources to the Online mode than in previous GTAs so that may have its effects.

Back