Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 01-Mar-2012, 19:07   #1
MfA
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MfA
Default PC Games Hall of Fame/Shame Badge

I thought a while ago that we need a hall of shame for PC gaming ... with the name of the main developer next to them calling them out for their failings ...

What is the minimum level of finesse we can all agree on which should be present even in glorified console ports?

- keyboard remapping
- invert Y axis support
- gamepad support
- fov 80+
- support for non fixed resolutions and aspect ratios with hor+ (ie. eyefinity/surround)
- SLI/Crossfire support

None of this even qualifies as a major request if taken into account from the start of development ... the only reason for developers not to support this is because they're either lazy bastards or poor planners.

Obviously I'd like stuff like decent MSAA support too, but since so many engine developers refuse to do any real work on DX10.1/11 support it's kinda hard to blame the individual game developers for that.
Old 01-Mar-2012, 19:22   #2
Silent_Buddha
Regular

Not just keyboard remapping but properly implemented keyboard remapping.

Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur would fail since neither can properly remap keys. Maybe a patch has been released for them which fixes keymapping issues, but at least in the case of Skyrim the game is such a disappointment (IMO) that I haven't bothered to follow it for months now.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Mar-2012, 22:19   #3
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfA View Post
- fov 80+
This is the single thing that makes me want to murder the developers. How difficult it it to have a FOV slider, or even an option in a config file I can change? It turns great games into piles of shit in just this one omission. It's the single worst thing we've been forced to accept with all these console ports on the PC.
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Mar-2012, 22:20   #4
sonix666

And another pet peeve of mine: ability to disable mouse smoothing and mouse acceleration. Even better, they should be off by default.
sonix666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Mar-2012, 22:49   #5
MfA
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Buddha View Post
Not just keyboard remapping but properly implemented keyboard remapping.
That should speak for itself.

Anyone have any other suggestions for the list of things a PC game developer shouldn't be allowed to fuck up with first/third person 3D titles? Mouse smoothing/acceleration disable is a good one.
Old 01-Mar-2012, 23:03   #6
AlNets
A bit netty

sub-title text size
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Mar-2012, 01:23   #7
tabs

- Quick application exit (2 actions, ideally 'menu' + 'exit to desktop') Hard to believe some games still get this wrong.

- Don't punish gamepad users or keyboard users by only displaying one set of keys during the tutorial or whenever. On the fly detection is really nice, but even just letting us set the controls old school style should make your app give us the correct info easily.

- AA support. For the love of Bob we're in the 21st century. This is the future. I can just about accept no flying cars but you can shove the jaggies.

- Shouldn't need to be online to play single player. I don't game on a laptop. I game on my always on the internet PC. However even though my PC is always on the internet your servers fucking aren't, so unless you guarantee me that they won't be crashing / updating every five minutes like they seem to then don't make me have to connect to them unless it's essential to the game (i.e. multiplayer with ranking / matchmaking).

- AND BRING BACK LAN - you can easily use lag detection to filter out the VPN noobs if that's your beef.

Excuse my vitriol, it's 02:30 and way past my bedtime.
tabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Mar-2012, 06:56   #8
Billy Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtabs View Post
- Shouldn't need to be online to play single player. I don't game on a laptop. I game on my always on the internet PC. However even though my PC is always on the internet your servers fucking aren't, so unless you guarantee me that they won't be crashing / updating every five minutes like they seem to then don't make me have to connect to them unless it's essential to the game (i.e. multiplayer with ranking / matchmaking).

Yes. This!!
Old 18-Mar-2012, 16:55   #9
Grall
Invisible Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Buddha View Post
at least in the case of Skyrim the game is such a disappointment (IMO) that I haven't bothered to follow it for months now.
Skyrim still has the same remapping issues it did at launch, almost half a year ago. You remap the keys, but the on-screen UI still displays the default key presses.

Then again, Skyrim's entire UI is utter shite, so it's not very surprising they haven't bothered to fix this. It's the aspect of the game they arguably spent the least amount of effort and polish on, bar none.
Old 19-Mar-2012, 01:32   #10
CouldntResist

Things I'd like to see fixed:

1. Game launching minigame

Sadly, it's currently norm that procedure of launching a game is more complicated than launching a notepad or web browser. One click is not enough. It must be followed by Esc-key Decathlon for skipping splash & intro videos.

Your fucking publisher/dev-studio/engine/middleware/hardware/RPG-license names and logos are unimportant to the consumer. The only time when it is appropriate to display splash & intro videos, is when player selects New Game from the game menu.

Displaying splash vids at every game launch is as stupid and rude, as would be displaying credits at every exit.

And then there is scum, that makes their splashes unskippable...

2. Quickload blindly loads quicksave.

This often results in reloading previous level. Properly implemented quickload should simply load the latest save, whether it's auto-, quick-, or manual save. Not a rocket science, but only Max Payne got it right.
CouldntResist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2012, 10:52   #11
Rodéric
a.k.a. Ingenu

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...les-for-games/ ?
Old 19-Mar-2012, 16:23   #12
MfA
Regular

I don't care so much about the common annoyances, it was more that I was annoyed about rush job porting going wrong the same way so often, with stupid mistakes and a general refusal to take into account PC specific semi-standard features.

Especially something like hard coding a couple of keys and having most keys go through remapping does not save time ... it's just bad coding. These are anti-patterns which every developer working on a port should know.
Old 19-Mar-2012, 19:30   #13
Silent_Buddha
Regular

It's especially bad in a supposedly AAA game with a large budget and long developement time. Smaller Indie titles or XBLA games I can somewhat understand. Limited budget port means maybe they just couldn't squeeze in the time to do proper keyboard support.

But multi-million dollar developement projects? And you can't get something as simple as keyboard configuration correct? WTF?

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2012, 20:20   #14
I.S.T.

That funny as hell letter that Gearbox sent out for Borderlands 2 also underscores just how fucked up the situation is. They shouldn't have to promise a fair bit of what they did, it should be in the damn game already.

Plus, some of the promises they made in that letter were also made for BL1... So, let's see how true they are.
I.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2012, 21:05   #15
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.S.T. View Post
That funny as hell letter that Gearbox sent out for Borderlands 2 also underscores just how fucked up the situation is. They shouldn't have to promise a fair bit of what they did, it should be in the damn game already.

Plus, some of the promises they made in that letter were also made for BL1... So, let's see how true they are.

Yeah, amazing they are making a selling point out of basic features we were enjoying ten years ago. Console ports actually degraded those things away to the point where they are now considered "extras" instead of "basics".
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Mar-2012, 20:10   #16
I.S.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. View Post
Yeah, amazing they are making a selling point out of basic features we were enjoying ten years ago. Console ports actually degraded those things away to the point where they are now considered "extras" instead of "basics".
Look at that list again, I can see some shit being extra(LAN support in this day and age isn't as needed anymore, for example. It was half mandatory back in the day due to shitty net connections), but otherwise, I agree.

The FoV slider is needed because standard console widescreen+monitors being closer to peoples' faces=OMG MY EYES.

The most embarrassing, IMO, is the 100% mouse usable menus. When your last game used page up and down for fucks' sakes, something is horribly wrong. At least use the arrow keys or WASD. Christ.

Last edited by I.S.T.; 22-Mar-2012 at 23:55.
I.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Mar-2012, 23:10   #17
Davros
Darlek ******

Quote:
1. Game launching minigame
How about game ending minigame - looking at you assassins creed 1

how about driving games that have no wheel support - wheelman (should be renamed joypadman)
blur is another
Old 23-Mar-2012, 13:43   #18
Grall
Invisible Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.S.T. View Post
When your last game used page up and down for fucks' sakes, something is horribly wrong. At least use the arrow keys or WASD. Christ.
Ugh! What game would that be, so I know to avoid it...?

There isn't even any pgup/dn keys on a laptop's keyboard typically, so how could they do something like that? Terrible design, just terrible.
Old 23-Mar-2012, 14:43   #19
doob

3+ mouse button support (configurable)

Several graphical settings and not just the low/high that will turn on effects that will degrade performance a bit too much, or, you don't like.
doob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2012, 08:14   #20
Billy Idol

I'll start:

Mass Effect 3...

* no gamepad
* internet for single player (connection issues to EA servers hence incorrect single player ingame stats)
* no real graphic options

...shame!
Old 24-Mar-2012, 15:58   #21
homerdog
hardly a Senior Member

I played the ME3 demo and their AA sucks IMO. Still don't know why they don't use MSAA since it's obviously been available in UE3 for years now.
Releasing a game in 2010 without AA is a completely foreign concept to me. If the technique you're using makes it impossible to use AA then you're using the wrong techniques. As simple as that. Releasing a PC game without AA options is OK only if that means you can only have it enabled[...]
homerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-2012, 12:56   #22
Sxotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grall View Post
Skyrim still has the same remapping issues it did at launch, almost half a year ago. You remap the keys, but the on-screen UI still displays the default key presses.

Then again, Skyrim's entire UI is utter shite, so it's not very surprising they haven't bothered to fix this. It's the aspect of the game they arguably spent the least amount of effort and polish on, bar none.
But it won all these awards and sold a ton of copies. Therefore it must be the best ever... sorry I am still grumpy they never bother to get their elder scrolls games working properly and are lauded for the lack of effort.
Old 25-Mar-2012, 21:23   #23
Sinistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxotty View Post
But it won all these awards and sold a ton of copies. Therefore it must be the best ever... sorry I am still grumpy they never bother to get their elder scrolls games working properly and are lauded for the lack of effort.
so what is not working properly?
Sinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-2012, 22:23   #24
Davros
Darlek ******

well just as an example heres some of the things that didnt work before the 1.4 patch (I could add what was fixed in all the previous patches to give you an idea of what didnt work on initial release, but that would possibly fill an entire page)

Fixed occasional issue with armor and clothing not displaying properly when placed on mannequin’s in player’s house. (PS3)
Improved compiler optimization settings (PC)
Long term play optimizations for memory and performance (PS3)
Memory optimizations related to scripting
Fixed crashes related to pathing and AI
Fixed crash in Haemar’s Shame if player had already completed “A Daedra’s Best Friend”
Fixed rare crash with loading saved games
Fixed issue with accented characters not displaying properly at the end of a line
Master Criminal achievement/trophy unlocks properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian
Fixed issue where dragon priest masks would not render correctly
Fixed issue where quests would incorrectly progress after reloading a save
Fixed issues with placing and removing books from bookshelves in the player’s home
Fixed issue where weapon racks and plaques would not work correctly in player’s house if player immediately visits their house before purchasing any furnishing.
Fixed issue where the player house in Windhelm would not clean up properly
Fixed crash related to giant attacks and absorb spells
Fixed issue with ash piles not cleaning up properly
Fixed occasional issue where overwriting an existing save would fail
Fixed memory crash with container menu
Fixed infinite loop with bookshelves
Fixed issue where traps in Shalidor’s Maze would not work properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian versions
Fixed issue where transforming back to human from werewolf would occasionally not fail
Bows and daggers will display properly when placed on weapon racks

QUEST FIXES
The Unusual Gem inside the Thalmor Embassy is now accessible after finishing “Diplomatic Immunity”
In “Breaching Security”, the quest token is no longer required to receive a fortune reading from Olava the Feeble
Fixed issue where Galmar would not complete Joining the Stormcloaks properly if “Season Unending” was an active quest
Fixed issue where starting “Season Unending” after finishing “Joining the Stormcloaks” would prevent “The Jagged Crown” from starting properly.
Fixed issue progressing through “Message to Whiterun” while “Season Unending” was still open would block progression for both quests.
In “Arniel’s Endeavor”, fixed issue where a quest journal would trigger multiple times
In “Forbidden Legend”, the amulet fragment can no longer disappear after player leaves a dungeon without taking it
Fixed rare issue in “Forbidden Legend” where killing Mikrul Gauldurson while sneaking would make his corpse unaccessible
In “The White Phial”, the phial can no longer disappear if player leaves dungeon without taking it
“The White Phial” will now start properly if player already has a briar heart in their inventory
Player can no longer get stuck in Misty Grove after completing “A Night to Remember”
Fixed issue where leaving Riften during “A Chance Arrangement” would prevent quest from progressing
In “Darkness Returns”, a door in Twilight Sepulcher will properly open if the player leaves the dungeon for an extended period of time before completing the quest
In “Under New Management”, if the player leaves the Oculory for an extended period of time after placing the focusing crystal and returns, the quest will proceed correctly
“Onmund’s Request” will now start properly if player has already found Enthir’s staff before receiving this quest
Fixed instance where Tonilia would stop buying stolen items and also would not give Guild Leader Armor
“Repairing the Phial” will start properly if player already has unmelting snow or mammoth tusk in their inventory
Finding Pantea’s Flute before speaking with Pantea no longer prevents her quest from updating
In “The Coming of the Dawn”, fixed rare instance where a quest object would spawn incorrectly on the Katariah during Hail Sithis
Fixed rare issue in “The Mind of Madness” where player is unable to equip the Wabbajack
Fixed issue in “Pieces of the Past” where Mehrunes Dagon’s Razor will not trigger properly if player leaves the cell for extended period of time before activating it
“Blood’s Honor” will start properly if you visited and completed Driftshade and an extended period of time passes before starting the quest.
Fixed rare issue where “Dampened Spirits” would not start properly
Fixed issue where player would be unable to become Thane of Riften if they purchased a home first
Fixed issue where killing guards in Cidhna Mine woud block progression for “No One Escapes Cidhna Mine”
Fixed numerous issues with “Blood on the Ice” not triggering properly
In “Blood on the Ice”, Calixto can now be killed if player owns a house in Windhelm
In “The Cure for Madness”, killing Cicero then resurrecting him no longer impedes quest progress
Fixed rare issue in “To Kill an Empire” where an NPC would fail to die properly
Clearing Knifepoint Ridge before starting “Boethiah’s Champion” no longer prevents quest from starting.
Old 26-Mar-2012, 00:17   #25
tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grall View Post
Ugh! What game would that be, so I know to avoid it...?

There isn't even any pgup/dn keys on a laptop's keyboard typically, so how could they do something like that? Terrible design, just terrible.
That was Borderlands IIRC.
tabs is offline   Reply With Quote