Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 13-Dec-2011, 18:33   #126
Davros
Darlek ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk Viking View Post
The only option I can enable however, while preserving my desktop resolution, is "scale image to full panel size"
well of course, scale while maintaining aspect ratio would only give you desktop resolution if the game used the same aspect otherwise you will get black bars, and centered timings turns off scaling
Old 13-Dec-2011, 22:28   #127
I.S.T.

11.12 missing the fixes from 11.11c makes sense given the nature of the current branching and eventually re-merging system... Sad though.

Of course, due to the nature of inertia in life, even if they started right now to fix the problem, it'd be months before we saw anything from it. Takes time to re-figure out the schedule, and to implement the changes needed.

Still, I hope the recent embarrassments give AMD the kick in the butt they need to get on top 100% again. I miss the days where they were the best. Period.
I.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Dec-2011, 22:34   #128
Davros
Darlek ******

point 1: we dont know when the merging takes place
point 2: leaving out the multi gpu issues for a sec we shouldnt need fixes, d3d and opengl should be working by now
Old 13-Dec-2011, 22:53   #129
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.
Regular

11.12 is out, but AMD strongly recommends using the 12.1 preview driver as it's got all the 11.11c fixes.

Quote:
The AMD Catalyst™ 12.1 Preview includes all of the features found in AMD Catalyst™ 11.12 and also includes all of the latest optimizations found in the AMD Catalyst 11.11c performance drivers (AMD Catalyst 11.12 does not include the latest 11.11c optimizations). It is highly recommended that all gamers use the AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver.
(yes, they posted it all in red).

Thank goodness for some clear info from AMD, as I was just about to come here and post if anyone had a clue as to whether we should be using the 11.11c, 11.12, or 12.1 drivers, all of which are current (!)
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Dec-2011, 00:41   #130
Grall
Invisible Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.S.T. View Post
Of course, due to the nature of inertia in life, even if they started right now to fix the problem, it'd be months before we saw anything from it. Takes time to re-figure out the schedule, and to implement the changes needed.
They should just drop one of the two branches and switch to a bi-monthly schedule. Seriously, that really is enough, if they had a development relations program worth the name anyway, so that they could catch bugs exposed by new games during the game's development instead of post-release, like with Rage, Skyrim and so on...
Old 14-Dec-2011, 01:00   #131
swaaye
Entirely Suboptimal

Whatever they do it should fix this nonsense of version numbers that don't necessarily mean anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.S.T. View Post
Still, I hope the recent embarrassments give AMD the kick in the butt they need to get on top 100% again. I miss the days where they were the best. Period.
They weren't even unequivocally the best during the FX times because their OpenGL sucked back then too so their crazy technology advantage only worked for D3D.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Dec-2011, 04:55   #132
sfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. View Post
11.12 is out, but AMD strongly recommends using the 12.1 preview driver as it's got all the 11.11c fixes.

(yes, they posted it all in red).

Thank goodness for some clear info from AMD, as I was just about to come here and post if anyone had a clue as to whether we should be using the 11.11c, 11.12, or 12.1 drivers, all of which are current (!)
Is 12.1 Preview compatible with Radeon Mobility HD 4200?
sfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Dec-2011, 13:11   #133
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfried View Post
Apparently not:

Quote:
Applicable Products:
This article applies to the following configuration(s):
Hardware:
  • AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
Operating Systems:
  • Windows® 7 32-bit Edition
  • Windows® 7 64-bit Edition
  • Windows® XP 32-bit Edition
  • Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
  • Windows Vista 64-bit edition
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Dec-2011, 13:24   #134
Davros
Darlek ******

AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver enables users to create per application profiles to individually control 3D and CrossFireX settings for Direct3D applications

Yay, this is huge ati users have been wanting this for years
Old 15-Dec-2011, 00:28   #135
Richard
Mord's imaginary friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grall View Post
They should just drop one of the two branches and switch to a bi-monthly schedule. Seriously, that really is enough, if they had a development relations program worth the name anyway, so that they could catch bugs exposed by new games during the game's development instead of post-release, like with Rage, Skyrim and so on...
I agree completely. I hope this notice (in red signals a change in direction. Like I.S.T. mentioned this isn't a change that can be implemented as fast as it ought to be, especially with the holidays, etc. but they really should be thinking of rolling only minor fixes in 12.2 ON TOP OF 12.1 and then start having a single branch from March onwards released on odd months and with out-of-band hotfixes when the need arises.

Part of the appeal of ATI's AMD's monthly release, that they banged on quite a bit, was that every release was WHQL-certified, etc. but they've started releasing non-WHQL drivers (AGP version), then they split older (but not ancient) parts into legacy drivers released every year or so, now they have hotfixes every other month. Might as well drop the aggressive monthly schedule + WHQL cert for a bi-monthly + hotfix deployment.

End of the day, users shouldn't be confused about which driver they should be using. AMD needs to figure out the best way to achieve this goal.
Old 15-Dec-2011, 00:32   #136
Richard
Mord's imaginary friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver enables users to create per application profiles to individually control 3D and CrossFireX settings for Direct3D applications

Yay, this is huge ati users have been wanting this for years
ATI Tray Tools FTW. Personally I'd prefer if they focused their energy into educating ISVs how they can enable more settings in the game menus. This is better than anything but we now have motion controlled consoles and phones that appear more intelligent than your dog, shouldn't we be letting go of this registry-setting micro-management? It's the future damnit.
Old 15-Dec-2011, 04:53   #137
I.S.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
ATI Tray Tools FTW. Personally I'd prefer if they focused their energy into educating ISVs how they can enable more settings in the game menus. This is better than anything but we now have motion controlled consoles and phones that appear more intelligent than your dog, shouldn't we be letting go of this registry-setting micro-management? It's the future damnit.
Old games. Can't rewrite ancient(Which by our standards would be stuff released in 2004) stuff. =\
I.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-2011, 06:05   #138
sfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. View Post
Apparently not:
So am I screwed with 11.12 until they release actually release 12.1?
Old 15-Dec-2011, 16:03   #139
Lightman

Quote:
So am I screwed with 11.12 until they release actually release 12.1?
Not necessarily. You can try editing .inf and adding your IGP as supported. I bet driver will work and install correctly.
Lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-2011, 19:36   #140
sfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
Not necessarily. You can try editing .inf and adding your IGP as supported. I bet driver will work and install correctly.
I'm not quite the expert at editing .inf s. I also wouldn't know since once the program extracts it automatically runs the install.

Since I'm not interested in playing RAGE, should I just go ahead with 11.12 instead?

Edit: I noticed AMD also has a Catalyst Hotfix for 11.12. Should I download this instead?

Last edited by sfried; 15-Dec-2011 at 19:59.
Old 15-Dec-2011, 22:29   #141
Davros
Darlek ******

get the hotfix
ps: those are for agp cards only (why they have seperate drivers for agp and pci-e ive no idea)
Old 16-Dec-2011, 01:03   #142
sfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
get the hotfix
ps: those are for agp cards only (why they have seperate drivers for agp and pci-e ive no idea)
Actually, I just installed the 12.1 Preview...with no problems. Why they listed as only supporting 6000 and 5000 series, I have no clue.
Old 16-Dec-2011, 18:23   #143
Arnold Beckenbauer

Quote:
Looks so.
Actually all catalyst drivers for Vista/Win7 support mobility chips. The last 11.11c Hotfix for Win XP supports my Mobility HD3470.

Find Chuck Norris.
Arnold Beckenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote