Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 27-Feb-2012, 23:20   #151
patsu
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeRocks View Post
WOW ! I am so missing my ps3 .......T_T ....sniff .......
You better come back and help me play this.

All I want to do in this game is to build and watch, like a tower defense game. I build in my base, I go to enemy's base and build there too. Need someone to cover my *ss.
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Mar-2012, 05:30   #152
RenegadeRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post
You better come back and help me play this.

All I want to do in this game is to build and watch, like a tower defense game. I build in my base, I go to enemy's base and build there too. Need someone to cover my *ss.
Will be back one day ! Too busy with work anyways.
Here's STARHAWK in co-op mode. its got 4 player co-op now !

The awesome trailer on youtube !
Renegade's Muse !
RenegadeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Mar-2012, 05:47   #153
patsu
Regular

Yeah, I am still playing the same 2 mini-maps in the closed beta. The games are still full. ^_^
Haven't downloaded the open beta yet. I don't even know if it's the same app.
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 08-Mar-2012, 20:15   #154
patsu
Regular

Time to join the big league ! [Wave goodbye to teammates in the small maps]

Starhawk Beta Update: 32 Players, Tanks, Jetbikes
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...anks-jetbikes/

Quote:
Hey Starhawkers! Finally, the day has come. We’re launching our Beta Update 1.3 today!

We have one final big step to make before release. Update 1.3 includes a bunch of new features and fixes including:

32 Player Map: Planet Dust
If you thought 8 vs 8 was fun, things just got EPIC!

Sidewinder Jetbike
This vehicle is all about speed, speed, and more speed. As it’s a very hard target to hit, use the Sidewinder for quick hit and run attacks, fast road kills, or team up with others to SWARM the enemy base. Did we mention it jumps, too?

Ox Heavy Tank
Say hello to our little friend. What the Ox lacks in speed, it makes up for in pure brawn and firepower. You can destroy enemy walls and structures via long range bombardments, assault mechs with explosive shells, and survive barrages while comfortable nestled in its heavily armored shell.
Again, video in the link. I can't seem to find many YouTube videos for the latest media anymore. 8^(
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 08-Mar-2012, 21:12   #155
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

1 GB patch
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-Mar-2012, 22:13   #156
patsu
Regular

[Confused]

What's the difference and relationship between this 1Gb 1.05 patch and the 1.3 update ?

EDIT:
Weird. It's the same thing. After patch, screen now says "Public beta 1.3".
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 10-Mar-2012, 02:54   #157
patsu
Regular

I finally found 15 minutes to play the open beta. It's like a completely different game compared to the mini-maps in the closed beta. The speed bike is an essential addition because the map is huge ! Starhawks seem more powerful now. One took out half our defense. @_@

Can't wait to play this thing for real.

They should definitely give my little Vita a role in the Starhawk world.
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 10-Mar-2012, 04:44   #158
RenegadeRocks

That trailer on the blog looks absolutely fantastically rad !
Unfortunately , I have no idea when I will be back on a ps3 !

EDIT: Just saw some of Gamespot Now playing Starhawk 1.3 32 player match and man, the game looks to be awesome !
The awesome trailer on youtube !
Renegade's Muse !

Last edited by RenegadeRocks; 10-Mar-2012 at 06:59.
RenegadeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2012, 09:59   #159
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Played a little last night. They've changed it quite a bit. Resources are much cheaper, I guess to speed up the rate of things happening. A jeep costs one Bluejuice to spawn instead of two. A Hawk cost I think 2 instead of 3. Bikes are a penny a piece. There also weren't any buildings from start in the small map. That might be down to server settings.

The tank is seriously powerful. I imagine it'll be nerfed a little. As well as direct fire you have artillery with an up-and-over arc. Good for a spotter camped on a hill to call target instructions. But also every vehicle is a bit fragile. I doesn't take much to blow one up (except when I'm trying to destroy a vehicle ). In a tank, I think two rockets took me out. Although there's no health bar to see how much damage you are taking.

There's a convenient exploration mode to just check out the maps without getting attacked. I found a massive torpedo pickup for the Hawks out in the desert. It's blue and low down and hard to spot, with a BIG bang when it hits. Want to try one of those in a match.

Also added a friend to my clan, but it wasn't clear if we were also partied up or not, as the one game we played on the same side could ahve just been a coincidence. There is no party setting as far as I can see; only the clan, which would be a bit borken. You want to party with someone not in the same clan. Voice chat also stopped halfway through the match which was a bit awkward when I was trying to capture the flag and my friend had build walls all around our flag and I had no way in and no way to tell him to fit a DAMNED DOOR!!

It really is feeling like an excellent game. The tweaks so far have been very considered, refining the beta into a very enjoyable game. It has plenty of variety, and the build mechanic is something new and exciting in a shooter.
Old 10-Mar-2012, 12:08   #160
Antan

Well, im about to head into this for the first time! I've had my Vita fill for now (currently hunting Arwins times down in MS!). Big patch but i'm coming into for the first time of course!
Antan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2012, 21:57   #161
messyman

The beta is so much fun.
16 VS 16 on Dust is a sight to behold.
messyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2012, 23:04   #162
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

I've had a couple of less interesting games since the update. Dust is huge and it's easy to get lost. I also find the building consumption is impossible to manage. I just played a game of TDM where our team had pushed them right back and had an outpost on their doorstep, but no buildings left to do anything constructive there. So I hung back and removed 4 cycle launchers and a couple of sniper towers and three beam towers - essential work, but for which I get absolutely nothing.

16 vs 16 means two buildings each. Good luck executing a combat strategy with that!
Old 12-Mar-2012, 18:38   #163
patsu
Regular

You need to double-back to the home base on a Warhawk or speed bike, remove some extra buildings, and go back to build your forward base.
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 12-Mar-2012, 20:45   #164
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Quote:
You need to double-back to the home base on a Warhawk or speed bike, remove some extra buildings, and go back to build your forward base.
Except as you remove buildings, other people place them. And while you're sat back at ghome base trying to get rid of redundant buildings, you're not getting XP. There are no rewards for the essential job of housekeeping.
Old 12-Mar-2012, 21:08   #165
patsu
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
Except as you remove buildings, other people place them. And while you're sat back at ghome base trying to get rid of redundant buildings, you're not getting XP. There are no rewards for the essential job of housekeeping.
That's true. But when you are back at the forward base, you can dismantle extra buildings and build your own too. Some players tend to focus on attacking. They will build redundant building at the exact spot where they respawn to launch a vehicle right away.

They are counting on comrades to clean up redundant buildings. I do so coz an unplanned building may obscure my turrets' line of sight. The moment you dismantle their buildings, they can reuse the points for other purposes in the frontline.
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 12-Mar-2012, 21:19   #166
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

How does that help with you having and executing a strategy though? In a 32 player game, the rate at which buildings get consumed is extremely fast. You can't clean up and build reliably. You can't nip back, get rid of someone else's building, and then get forwards to build your own turret or vehicle spawn because someone has nicked the building. As you say, building for a vehicle is very common practice, essentially a dispoable building that someone needs to dispose of.

There needs to be a punishment for building litter-louts.
Old 12-Mar-2012, 21:28   #167
patsu
Regular

It depends on your team composition. Hard to say. There are rounds where my defense was not up yet but we won already. I look at the Starhawk map quite often. It helps me see what the enemies are up to. If I saw that my folks were trying to set up a forward base, I might change my plan to work with them.

I am not sure if penalizing people for littering will amount to any positive outcome. They may get frustrated, and the assessment may be subjective. Those who misuse the tools will likely lose the battle anyway. But nimble use of resources is not exactly bad.

I need to play more to understand the dynamics better.
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 12-Mar-2012, 22:16   #168
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Quote:
It depends on your team composition. Hard to say. There are rounds where my defense was not up yet but we won already. I look at the Starhawk map quite often. It helps me see what the enemies are up to. If I saw that my folks were trying to set up a forward base, I might change my plan to work with them.
Me too, but it doesn't really matter with 16 teammates. I see there's a forward base, say, and decide to contribute. Never mind - five people have respawned and made bike dispensers and sped off. All my plans come to nothing. I have to hang back and remove their buildings before I can engage the enemy (at which point someone else builds some other crap).

I found I had far more buildings at my disposal in the 8 v 8 maps, and I could set up useful bases and the like. It was always satisfying to set down a good spawnpoint and have the team use it to win. 16 v 16 is just too tight on resources. I dare say Starhawk might be best with 5 v 5 matches.

Quote:
I am not sure if penalizing people for littering will amount to any positive outcome. They may get frustrated, and the assessment may be subjective.
Was kidding.
Quote:
Those who misuse the tools will likely lose the battle anyway.
Which is something over which you as a team member ahve no say or sway. But then that's multiplayer!
Old 19-Mar-2012, 18:39   #169
patsu
Regular

Putting the Finishing Touches on Starhawk
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...s-on-starhawk/

-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 21-Mar-2012, 20:46   #170
patsu
Regular

Starhawk Brings Back Splitscreen Head-to-Head and Co-op Multiplayer
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...p-multiplayer/

Game will support Two-Player Split Screen and dual logins.
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 21-Mar-2012, 21:00   #171
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Is there any word on creating parties? I asked on the forum and got no reply. I couldn't find a way to group up and ensure your team were all on the same side, which is necessary for good coop online gaming. Even if clan players are all grouped together, you don't want everyone you'd play alongside having to join the same clan.
Old 21-Mar-2012, 21:09   #172
patsu
Regular

I haven't heard anything regarding party system in Starhawk. I remember seeing a clan management system though.
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 21-Mar-2012, 21:37   #173
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

It was promised earlier on, and seems pretty essential. Otherwise it'll be like Warhawk - see your friends online, try to join their game, and if you're lucky you'll join only to be on the opposition. That plain stinks.
Old 21-Mar-2012, 21:47   #174
patsu
Regular

Didn't know they promised it. Will dig for more info later. ^_^
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 21-Mar-2012, 21:58   #175
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Quote:
+ Dylan Jobe on May 19th, 2011 at 10:08 am said:
Starhawk’s party system allows you and your friends to hop from game to game together. You can even add people to your party as you go if you meet someone you want to roll with along the way. We didn’t have that in Warhawk and that was a bummer. But we have it now!!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...sses-starhawk/

He's right it was a bummer. Where is it now then? They really need to be testing that before release, because party systems are prone to being buggy in my experience.