Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reply
Old 16-Jun-2010, 03:41   #1
Scott_Arm
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,429
Default Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKh26mfZQZA

I would describe this as Gears/God of War. Looks like it might be pretty good. Relic has been making quality games, but can they do an action game?
Scott_Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jun-2010, 03:53   #2
NRP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,267
Default

Looks kind of cool. I say bring it on.
NRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2010, 12:34   #3
Grall
Invisible Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: La-la land
Posts: 6,866
Default

The world of WH40k is awesome, and space marines are also awesome. This has the potential to be a great action game, which at the same time could span an epic storyline. WH40k is all about the struggle of a few brave against hordes of heretics/infidels/deviants/savages/mutants/aliens/demons/etc, with the threat of corruption from within looming like a constant shadow over everything. It's got great potential, let's hope they don't eff it up...
__________________
"Du bist Metall!"
-L.V.
Grall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2010, 13:12   #4
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In a Mirror Darkly
Posts: 15,252
Default

Oh snap. And I just ordered 12 of the Horus Heresy novels.... and of course I've gone through all the omnibus collections so far (Blood Angels, Grey Knights, Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Ultramarines, Space Wolves 1&2, Inquisition War, Soul Drinkers.............). Argh..... so much material to catch up. And then there's the Chaos book (liber chaotica).

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ Do want co-op.

edit: Truth be told, I enjoyed the inquisition-focused stories the most. Grey Knights after. Soul drinkers third. Currently waiting for the next couple omnibi to be put together I know... 2-3 more novels in the Soul Drinkers, Blood Angels, and Ultramarines novels....

Definitely appreciate the Chaos novels with the Night Lords or Iron Warriors (Hansou!). Still gotta pick up the three novels on the Word Bearers.

--------------------------------------------

I had a Chaos Space Marine army awhile back. Shitty painter, but it was fun. I played maybe two matches I think I was just more interested in the Codex stories, and I've only recently (last 2 years) been trying to get ahold of the story/novel books.
__________________
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Never scale-up, never sub-render!
(╯□)╯︵ □ Flipquad
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2010, 13:37   #5
dragonelite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: netherlands
Posts: 1,556
Default

Not so much into the models stuff, but after playing Warhammer40k Dawn of war i started reading the lore wiki and the universe is big as hell and interesting!!
dragonelite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jun-2010, 02:33   #6
Silent_Buddha
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,497
Default

Been tracking this for well over a year now. It appears to use a modified DOW II engine optimized for single player (1 person instead of a squad) and a closer 3rd person view.

So in theory, there should at the least be. Very nice particle effects. Destructable cover. Destructable buildings. Fair amount of units on screen.

They'll probably have to do something about the particle effects as there is a TON of overdraw on the PC from massive explosions. Enough to cripple the PS3 and possibly even the 360.

Still sad it's not going to PC.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2011, 17:21   #7
Prophecy2k
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,771
Default

Hve we heard anything about this game at all recently as i'm so excited for a current-gen Warhammer 40K game and quite frankly i think it's crimnal that we haven't had many at any at all yet recently on any platform outside of PC.

I loved DOW1 and enjoyed DOWII (although i prefered the building and micromanagment to the focus on roleplaying a squad in DOWII).

I'm a huge WH40K fan(/geek)... i grew up collecting and painting a Blood Angels army (my models were pretty darn good too) and i just started following the expanded universe lore in the past couple of years.

I've read every Horus Heresy novel released to date (sooooooo awesome!!!), have the announced ones on pre-order and i just finished the Blood Angels Omnibus this morning.

The universe is incredible and i love the way that the story places humanity in the grand scheme of things. The space marines are f@*k awesome and even though this game has been announced to be about an Ultramarine/Orc campaign i'm still pretty pumped (not keen on the Orcs).

Frankly i'm just a bit tired of video games developers getting rich off ripping off Warhammer and Warhammer 40k (not mentioning any names... *cough* Bilzzard *cough*)... So i just want to start seeing some more videogames with current gen graphics and production values bring a WH40k story to life
Prophecy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2011, 18:09   #8
RenegadeRocks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Arm View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKh26mfZQZA

I would describe this as Gears/God of War. Looks like it might be pretty good. Relic has been making quality games, but can they do an action game?
To me the guy looks like Darksiders met a shooter ! Trailer is really cool.

The game is called : Space Marine - Ouch ! They just proclaimed the obvious ! Everything will depend on the gameplay. The look is fun, the universe seems interesting, meshing marines with Orcs, the name is brash, if the gameplay turns out fun, this could be a great mix ! Will keep an eye out for this !!!!
__________________
We are the Renegades, we are the people with our own philosophy,
We change the course of history, everyday, people like you and me !
My first game :Christmas Magic + on App Store now :) !
The awesome trailer on youtube !
Renegade's Muse !
RenegadeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2011, 19:57   #9
Scott_Arm
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeRocks View Post
To me the guy looks like Darksiders met a shooter ! Trailer is really cool.

The game is called : Space Marine - Ouch ! They just proclaimed the obvious ! Everything will depend on the gameplay. The look is fun, the universe seems interesting, meshing marines with Orcs, the name is brash, if the gameplay turns out fun, this could be a great mix ! Will keep an eye out for this !!!!
Warhammer 40K has been around since the late 80s. The Warhammer Space Marine is the inspiration for all of the video game knockoffs we've seen over the years. It might seem somewhat generic, because it's been copied a billion times, but this is the orginal Space Marine franchise. I never really got into the miniature games, but when I was younger I loved the artwork and designs in the 40K rulebooks. Warhammer FRP had some great artwork as well.
Scott_Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 06:47   #10
Silent_Buddha
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy2k View Post
Hve we heard anything about this game at all recently as i'm so excited for a current-gen Warhammer 40K game and quite frankly i think it's crimnal that we haven't had many at any at all yet recently on any platform outside of PC.

I loved DOW1 and enjoyed DOWII (although i prefered the building and micromanagment to the focus on roleplaying a squad in DOWII).

I'm a huge WH40K fan(/geek)... i grew up collecting and painting a Blood Angels army (my models were pretty darn good too) and i just started following the expanded universe lore in the past couple of years.

I've read every Horus Heresy novel released to date (sooooooo awesome!!!), have the announced ones on pre-order and i just finished the Blood Angels Omnibus this morning.

The universe is incredible and i love the way that the story places humanity in the grand scheme of things. The space marines are f@*k awesome and even though this game has been announced to be about an Ultramarine/Orc campaign i'm still pretty pumped (not keen on the Orcs).

Frankly i'm just a bit tired of video games developers getting rich off ripping off Warhammer and Warhammer 40k (not mentioning any names... *cough* Bilzzard *cough*)... So i just want to start seeing some more videogames with current gen graphics and production values bring a WH40k story to life
From what's been shown so far, gameplay appears to be based off The Last Stand multiplayer mode in DOW II. It'll probably have a closer 3rd person or over the shoulder camera. Probably feature RPG-lite level up elements. Probably have loot drops similar to DOW II.

But all that is pure guesswork. Whatever it is, I'll probably pre-order as soon as it's available to pre-order. Hell, I even bought W40k - Fire Warrior.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 16:51   #11
Prophecy2k
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Buddha View Post
From what's been shown so far, gameplay appears to be based off The Last Stand multiplayer mode in DOW II. It'll probably have a closer 3rd person or over the shoulder camera. Probably feature RPG-lite level up elements. Probably have loot drops similar to DOW II.

But all that is pure guesswork. Whatever it is, I'll probably pre-order as soon as it's available to pre-order. Hell, I even bought W40k - Fire Warrior.

Regards,
SB
Hi FIVE!!!!!

We must be the only two people in the world
Prophecy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 17:15   #12
Scott_Arm
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,429
Default

If this is Gears of War + hack'n slash + rpg stats + loot drops + replayable levels/dungeons, then this potentially may be the greatest game ever made.
Scott_Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 17:31   #13
Mobius1aic
Quo vadis?
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Arm View Post
Warhammer 40K has been around since the late 80s. The Warhammer Space Marine is the inspiration for all of the video game knockoffs we've seen over the years. It might seem somewhat generic, because it's been copied a billion times, but this is the orginal Space Marine franchise. I never really got into the miniature games, but when I was younger I loved the artwork and designs in the 40K rulebooks. Warhammer FRP had some great artwork as well.
The Mobile Infantry in Heinlein's Starship Troopers are the original Space Marines and had the first really conceived exoskeletal/power/whatever suits.
Mobius1aic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 17:44   #14
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In a Mirror Darkly
Posts: 15,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Arm View Post
If this is Gears of War + hack'n slash + rpg stats + loot drops + replayable levels/dungeons, then this potentially may be the greatest game ever made.
No campaign co-op Wonder what multiplayer options will be there though. If there's a horde-ish mode with RPG-like upgrading then... swell!
__________________
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Never scale-up, never sub-render!
(╯□)╯︵ □ Flipquad
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 20:45   #15
Scott_Arm
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
No campaign co-op Wonder what multiplayer options will be there though. If there's a horde-ish mode with RPG-like upgrading then... swell!
Lack of campaign co-op kind of sucks, but if there is some kind of cool cooperative multiplayer, then that makes things better.
Scott_Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 20:45   #16
Scott_Arm
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius1aic View Post
The Mobile Infantry in Heinlein's Starship Troopers are the original Space Marines and had the first really conceived exoskeletal/power/whatever suits.
This is true, but the look and art style of the space marine as its seen in videogames seems to come from Warhammer 40K, as far as I can tell.
Scott_Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 23:54   #17
Silent_Buddha
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius1aic View Post
The Mobile Infantry in Heinlein's Starship Troopers are the original Space Marines and had the first really conceived exoskeletal/power/whatever suits.
While there is a superficial similarity, they couldn't be any more different. The suits in Starship Troopers are designed specifically to allow the soldier to do things impossible for a normal human.

The suits for Space Marines are designed almost solely with regards to protecting the Space Marines which were human only in origin and superficial looks. They were radically genetically altered, with different internal organs, different skeletal structure, altered enhanced and modified musculature, etc...

In other words, Starship Troopers armor = powered mobile suits which enhanced the user.

Armor for Space Marines was closer to medieval plate mail in that it basically just protects the user, granting no superhuman abilities above and beyond those already possessed. Thus Platemail would be a more apt description of the origin of Space Marine armor. Now Terminator armor on the other hand. That could potentially trace it's roots back to Starship Troopers armor. But again only superficially, as it still mostly was about even more protection for the wearer, but in so doing became so heavy that even genetically altered Space Marines required some help in making it move. Being so heavy however, also meant they were slow and cumbersome (compared to standard armor), and if it's going to be slow and cumbersome why not mount extra heavy weapons?

And Wolverine of X-men fame would be more of an original Space Marine than the humans in Starship Troopers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
No campaign co-op Wonder what multiplayer options will be there though. If there's a horde-ish mode with RPG-like upgrading then... swell!
That would be a shame and a surprise, considering Relic introduced co-op missions for DoW with DoW II. Is that something confirmed or just rumored?

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2011, 00:46   #18
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In a Mirror Darkly
Posts: 15,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Buddha View Post
That would be a shame and a surprise, considering Relic introduced co-op missions for DoW with DoW II. Is that something confirmed or just rumored?
I can't recall which vid/interview specifically, but it was something stated awhile back for the campaign.
__________________
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Never scale-up, never sub-render!
(╯□)╯︵ □ Flipquad
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2011, 00:51   #19
Silent_Buddha
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,497
Default

Bugger. And a real surprise considering it was originally a console exclusive and co-op is pretty popular on consoles.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2011, 01:01   #20
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In a Mirror Darkly
Posts: 15,252
Default

They haven't said a word about multiplayer support though, so I'm guessing that's where we'll see something along the lines of a horde co-op. Also when they added the Skirmish mode to DoWII/Chaos Rising, I'm guessing that was a testing ground of sorts.
__________________
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Never scale-up, never sub-render!
(╯□)╯︵ □ Flipquad
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2011, 14:12   #21
Prophecy2k
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Buddha View Post
Armor for Space Marines was closer to medieval plate mail in that it basically just protects the user, granting no superhuman abilities above and beyond those already possessed. Thus Platemail would be a more apt description of the origin of Space Marine armor. Now Terminator armor on the other hand. That could potentially trace it's roots back to Starship Troopers armor. But again only superficially, as it still mostly was about even more protection for the wearer, but in so doing became so heavy that even genetically altered Space Marines required some help in making it move. Being so heavy however, also meant they were slow and cumbersome (compared to standard armor), and if it's going to be slow and cumbersome why not mount extra heavy weapons?
I believe that the bolded are not entirely accurate to a degree. Mk II (i.e. armour worn during the Horus Heresy) and upwards Space Marine Power Armour does indeed augment the Adeptus Astartes already super-human abilities to even more superhuman levels, not by much but they definitely do. It's the very reason that despite the bulk and weight of the Power Armour itself, an Astartes can move and react as quickly, if not quicker, than if he is completely without his armour. The Power Armour isn't just plate armour but is an effective mechanised battlesuit, similar in kind to the mechanised exsoskeletons being made today, only full body with vox commuicator, air filtration and re-circulation systems, temperature regulators and battle/field drug administration systems integrated.

Also, Terminator Armour also isn't anything remotley close to being "slow and cumbersome". An Adeptus Astartes could outrun a car at 40mph wearing terminator armour. The suits augment an astartes abilities even further. They are "slower" than standard power armour, but they certainly aren't "slow" in absolute terms... if they were then a Terminator Assault squad would be useless... without or without their personal teleportation devices
Prophecy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2011, 16:12   #22
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In a Mirror Darkly
Posts: 15,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy2k View Post
I believe that the bolded are not entirely accurate to a degree. Mk II (i.e. armour worn during the Horus Heresy)
Actually, Mk IV was the most common at the time. Mk V's were just starting to be mass produced when the Adeptus Mechanicus had their split on Mars (Mechanicum novel). Though of course, that didn't stop various legions/chapters from using older Mark armours out of preference for the look.
__________________
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Never scale-up, never sub-render!
(╯□)╯︵ □ Flipquad
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2011, 16:59   #23
Prophecy2k
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
Actually, Mk IV was the most common at the time. Mk V's were just starting to be mass produced when the Adeptus Mechanicus had their split on Mars (Mechanicum novel). Though of course, that didn't stop various legions/chapters from using older Mark armours out of preference for the look.
Indeed you are correct... that was my typo

Edit: Also, the Mechanicum novel.... Sooooo AWESOME!!!!
Prophecy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2011, 23:46   #24
Silent_Buddha
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy2k View Post
Also, Terminator Armour also isn't anything remotley close to being "slow and cumbersome". An Adeptus Astartes could outrun a car at 40mph wearing terminator armour. The suits augment an astartes abilities even further. They are "slower" than standard power armour, but they certainly aren't "slow" in absolute terms... if they were then a Terminator Assault squad would be useless... without or without their personal teleportation devices
You'll note I did have..."(compared to standard armor)". Everything is relative.

As well I don't disagree with your armor comments, but when compared to the augmentation afforded to normal humans by Starship Troopers mobile suits, it's far closer to platmail than to those, IMO.

It's also to be noted that later versions of standard space marine armor weren't as effective as armor made prior to the Horus Heresy. Much knowledge and technology was lost, including those used in the making of space marine armor. While some of that has been re-discovered, pre-heresy armor is still superior I think. Then again I haven't really been as up on W40k the past couple years, so things may have progressed even farther since then.

But regardless of all this. The game can't launch soon enough for me.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2011, 00:03   #25
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In a Mirror Darkly
Posts: 15,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy2k View Post
Edit: Also, the Mechanicum novel.... Sooooo AWESOME!!!!
hehe. I've just finished A Thousand Sons. Bloody great novel. It's so sad reading how they fell from grace, and the same goes for Fulgrim (both Primarch and the novel). The Dark Angels schism isn't done yet, but again, pretty sad.

I'll probably pick up the next few Horus Heresy novels when I'm done with the Word Bearers trilogy of novels (Dark Apostle/Disciple/Creed). Figured I should take a break for the HH. Besides, a little current events on Word Bearers might make The First Heretic mean that much more.

So I'm really looking forward to The First Heretic, Prospero Burns, and Age of Darkness (2nd collection of short stories).

I might pick up a couple of the audio book exclusives, like Garro. His story was pretty interesting in the Flight of the Eisenstein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Buddha View Post
It's also to be noted that later versions of standard space marine armor weren't as effective as armor made prior to the Horus Heresy. Much knowledge and technology was lost, including those used in the making of space marine armor. While some of that has been re-discovered, pre-heresy armor is still superior I think. Then again I haven't really been as up on W40k the past couple years, so things may have progressed even farther since then.
Well it's odd. I've read the Lexicanum on up-to-date iterations of the armours, but they haven't really mentioned anything beyond Mark V in the novels. There was a passing mention of a Word Bearer using pieces of a Mark VII in Dark Apostle, but nothing detailed about being special. So all I know is that they've tried to make the armour less prone to being penetrated at weak joint spots using larger plates for cover or adding a neck shield of sorts.
__________________
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Never scale-up, never sub-render!
(╯□)╯︵ □ Flipquad
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.