Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 29-Jun-2010, 11:00   #26
Rys
Tiled

No jailbreak needed, Kishonti can run GLBenchmark on the device as they see fit.
Old 29-Jun-2010, 11:35   #27
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys View Post
No jailbreak needed, Kishonti can run GLBenchmark on the device as they see fit.
In which case they musn't have got their hands on an iphone4 yet, as previously they were quite quick with the ipad testing.

After I posted yesterday, Nokia N8 got tested and now lies in 2nd place.

At one time IMG-ed devices occupied pretty much the top 20 in there, now 9 of the top 20 are AMD-ed graphics, and one(N8) with graphics via an ST chip (is it broadcom graphics? )

Can we conclude that the competition has caught up in terms of usable 3D graphics (for es1.1)
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jun-2010, 12:21   #28
Rys
Tiled

I'm not speaking for ImgTec here whatsoever, but just the fact the results don't take into account screen resolution means it's hard to interpret the results, thus making it hard to position devices and come to that kind of conclusion.
Old 29-Jun-2010, 14:19   #29
Kaotik
Drunk Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kaotik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys View Post
I'm not speaking for ImgTec here whatsoever, but just the fact the results don't take into account screen resolution means it's hard to interpret the results, thus making it hard to position devices and come to that kind of conclusion.
Well, the 3GS is getting beaten by one with AMD Z430 using same resolution, and by one with Broadcom (Nokia N8) using higher resolution
I was betrayed by my own beliefs...
Kaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jun-2010, 17:32   #30
Rys
Tiled

The 3GS is vsync locked. Yet more variables to throw into the mix
Old 29-Jun-2010, 18:35   #31
Lazy8s

I had noticed z430 leadership in some of the triangle tests at GLBenchmark a couple days ago, demonstrating some of the core's promise, but today's additions to the list are a real shake up. Broadcom's VideoCore III actually makes a very strong debut, and a phone I just bought myself a couple weeks ago, the myTouch Slide, places quite highly.

I'm not too surprised to see the Slide make the list; it impressed me with its smooth web browser despite being based on a last generation Qualcomm apps processor, a testament to the influence of drivers/software over hardware. The lack of FP support, however, ironically prevents this Android device from getting a port of Google Earth, to my annoyance, and it's still not as smooth overall as my first generation iPhone. As soon as T-Mobile US gets the iPhone 4, either officially or through jailbreak unlock, I'll be switching back to iOS and away from the mishmash of user interfaces and features that is Android.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Jul-2010, 10:20   #32
Lazy8s

Considering Samsung's boast of GPU performance, I actually expect that they were fairly aggressive with the clock rate for the GPU in the Galaxy S app processor.

This particular implementation of Galaxy S isn't having great compatibility with GLBenchmark, but Qualcomm's Neocore allowed the 540 to flex a bit more.

Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Jul-2010, 12:37   #33
Xmas
Rebel

55.7 fps actually means it's vsync/refresh rate limited (Galaxy S screen refresh is ~56 Hz).
Xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Jul-2010, 15:08   #34
Wishmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
Gizmodo just posted up a side-by-side video of a Galaxy S (1Ghz hummingbird +SGX540) against a HTC desire (snapdragon + adreno) running Quake2. The difference is astounding, the Galaxy appears to be running at least 3-4 times quicker.

There is also a video on that same page of Quake III running smoothly on the galaxy.

http://gizmodo.com/5580123/quake-2-t...msung-galaxy-s
Considering that SGX540 was always faster and better(on paper and now IRL) than adreno 200(z430) on qualcomm it's not surprising, wonder how adreno 220 will fair against SGX540
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jul-2010, 11:58   #35
Ike Turner

Maybe we should say on topic (AMD Z430) and not turn this into another PowerVR SGX thread?
Ike Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jul-2010, 13:08   #36
Simon F
Tea maker

Just tried to split the thread but there's no direct tool to do it. Might have to copy and then prune. Sigh
Simon F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jul-2010, 13:11   #37
Simon F
Tea maker

OK. SGX-specific comments should now be put here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=58011
Simon F is offline   Reply With Quote