Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 12-Nov-2009, 16:35   #51
patsu
Regular

Yeah, the protected game saves are "activated" by the game developers, probably to prevent cheating. In this case, I guess the Demon's Souls developer wants to maintain a consistent experience throughout the network (Don't want to cheapen/trivialize the experience).

Even if they want to prevent cheating, I think Sony should allow me to copy any game saves. But at the receiving end, prevent them from working if the use is not authorized. Preventing me from copying at the beginning will prevent me from backing up protected save data game-by-game. Regular save data is ok. I can copy them out individually.
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Nov-2009, 16:58   #52
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Arm View Post
Precision laser welding?
It may have been IR or something. I don't recall the specifics. Only that the Sony system used expensive, more accurate and effective high-end gear and cost little more than the independents, yet Sony were being framed as rip-off merchants.

Found the Sony rebuttal at GI.biz. It's IR. Couple of choice excerpts...

Quote:
[Report author] does not indicate the basis on which he considered that voiding at the levels seen – which, by his own admission, in no case exceeded 25 per cent sphere mass – were higher than he expected. In fact, assuming [Report author] is applying IPC standard A-610D (Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies, February 2005), that standard makes clear that “25% or less voiding in a ball x-ray image area” means that the product in question meets the relevant criterion for compliance. Although we have not been given the opportunity to confirm these results, [Report author's] findings appear to show the voiding levels in the consoles he examined to be below industry-accepted levels.
Quote:

10. Once the warranty period has elapsed, the customer will be charged 128 (inclusive of VAT). This figure reflects the cost of repairing a PS3 to the high standard required and includes a door-to-door courier exchange service and other general administrative costs. SCEUK does not profit from this service; in fact, it operates it at a loss in order to offer customers with OOW PS3s the best price possible.
Quote:
11. Sony has invested substantially in creating state-of-the-art diagnostic and servicing facilities to support both in-warranty and OOW repairs. As regards the purported solution to the supposed “yellow light” issue adopted by commercial repairers, effecting a reflow correctly, to the required engineering standards and in a properly controlled static-safe environment requires the use of an infra-red BGA soldering station, which must be set up and programmed to run at very specific temperature profiles. Each such station costs tens of thousands of pounds. The diagnostic equipment required to test that the solder has been performed correctly costs a similar amount.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Nov-2009, 17:02   #53
Nesh
Regular

So here is what happened so far. Instead of sending it to Sony (who I was told would send me a refurbished back 2-3 weeks later), I found an independent repair shop that many small retailers send their customers' faulty PS3;s for repair. Thank God my friend knew the guy and told me about him

He said that tomorrow will be ready but if I want to, I can leave the console to him for 2 days to ensure everything runs ok. I ll get it Saturday morning.

He was going to charge me 120 Euros but since he knew my friend he will charge me 100 Euros,

I just saved 70 euros and he will give me my own console back with a 90 day warranty and hopefully it wont die on me again

P.s I purchased a slim as well to be safe
Nesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Nov-2009, 17:08   #54
novcze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grall View Post
That's not realistic. Various types of BGAs are the vastly most common type of IC package today, they're used pretty much everywhere in computers today, and replacing every soldered BGA with a socket would vastly complicate things...
I didn`t speak about BGA package in general, just about CPU/GPU in PS3, these two parts are reaching high running temperature really quick and as result of the thermal dilatation we see YLOD. And with lead free reflow soldering are things worse than ever.
First thing that come to mind when you try avoid these problems is socket, something that can add (minimal) flexibility between PCB and package (you have to change package of the CPU/GPU though). And yes, that`s probably unrealistic solution.
novcze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Nov-2009, 17:29   #55
assurdum

2 60 gb ps3 broken; the 60 gb really suck. Fortunately the ps3 slim is out just in time for the second broken, but this generations is a shame.
assurdum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Nov-2009, 22:58   #56
upnorthsox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
No idea, I just know that it is and there are more than a few games unfortunately that do lock. I don't think copying WipEout HD save-files to other systems work either. I tried that and the data is gone - although I didn't spend as much time as getting that one to work as I did with Soul Calibur 4.

The decision to do these things may be down to the developer, but ultimately, it should be Sony to set up rules about how certain things are done and guarantee a consistent experience throughout.

I see why some devs do it, although in most cases, I just think it's short sighted and ignores some of the issues. For instance: How can a legimate consumer copy his save file to new PS3? Even if this now works in some cases, what if he also decides to change his online PSN-id?

This is actually the reason why I haven't yet bought a slim for myself yet. Besides the missing B/C feature, I just don't want to go through the hassle of losing some of my game-saves.
Wipeout HD copies over. One that I know that doesn't is Eye of Judgment.

Btw, one thing with Wipeout HD is that all your collected vehicles are individual files in the game data folder, it's a PIA when you've got 40 or so and have to copy them all.
upnorthsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Nov-2009, 13:05   #57
Grall
Invisible Member

We want (1)reliable and (2)powerful consoles, and they should be (3)inexpensive.

Well, two out of three we can have. Just pick which ones you'd like... (2) and (3) and you get Xbox 360, and all the RROD returns showed us how well that worked out... (1) and (3), and you end up with a Wii.
Grall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Nov-2009, 13:22   #58
Gubbi

Quote:
We want (1)reliable and (2)powerful consoles, and they should be (3)inexpensive.

Well, two out of three we can have. Just pick which ones you'd like... (2) and (3) and you get Xbox 360, and all the RROD returns showed us how well that worked out... (1) and (3), and you end up with a Wii.
1 & 2. The cost of the hardware drowns in the noise after 6 years of game purchases.

Cheers
Old 13-Nov-2009, 20:09   #59
russo121

My PS3 broke about end of August - send it to sony - received 6 weeks later a refurbished one - the refurbished has broken yesterday - send it to sony again.
I've talked with the guy of SEUR (transportation in Europe) and he told me that he has a lot of service with broken ps3.

I don't believe the beloved 10% failure rate somebody come up to. It's much higher - from my own experience.
russo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Nov-2009, 20:22   #60
Nesh
Regular

I think the failure rate was very low initially. But after a couple of years the old models started to wear off and brake. Around 2 years they start to show the signs of failure.
Old 14-Nov-2009, 20:46   #61
Grall
Invisible Member

Bahhh... Thsi has NOT been a good day today. First I wreck my PC flatpanel display (can't even claim it was by accident, truth is it was nothing but sheer stupidity on my part), then my PS3's bluetooth module apparantly conks out.

It won't talk to either my remote control or the PS3 controller (cord unplugged). Not sure what I can try, just in case my PS3 perhaps simply FORGOT all the pairing information regarding these two devices.

The controller works fine in wired mode of course but won't connect in wireless mode when I press the PS button, and the PS3 doesn't recognize the remote at all when I try to pair it (hold START and Enter buttons). I sat there pressing the damn buttons for at least half a minute and nothing happened... Tried several sets of batteries as well.

So all in all... Not a good day.
Old 15-Nov-2009, 00:22   #62
upnorthsox

Quote:
Bahhh... Thsi has NOT been a good day today. First I wreck my PC flatpanel display (can't even claim it was by accident, truth is it was nothing but sheer stupidity on my part), then my PS3's bluetooth module apparantly conks out.

It won't talk to either my remote control or the PS3 controller (cord unplugged). Not sure what I can try, just in case my PS3 perhaps simply FORGOT all the pairing information regarding these two devices.

The controller works fine in wired mode of course but won't connect in wireless mode when I press the PS button, and the PS3 doesn't recognize the remote at all when I try to pair it (hold START and Enter buttons). I sat there pressing the damn buttons for at least half a minute and nothing happened... Tried several sets of batteries as well.

I had this happen and ended up reset the system back to default settings and it came back up. Needless to say, backup everything before doing this.
upnorthsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-2009, 01:34   #63
Nesh
Regular

Quote:

I have had the same problem a few times but fixed it at the end by playing with the controller's automatic switch off in the power saving settings. It seems that the timer settings that switches the controller off messes a bit with the bluetooth controllers.
Old 15-Nov-2009, 03:35   #64
Grall
Invisible Member

Hmm! Whaddya know... I turned the PS3 off, turned the power switch off for good measure, turned switch on and pushed a button on the remote and the system lit right up.

Problem solved! Thanks for the tips, people.

Now, if only I could fix my flatscreen as easily, but the LCD panel's all caved in near the top of the screen unfortunately and there are cracks running throughout the screen... Guess a repair is out of the question, cost-wise; it's a 2.5 year old unit.

Stupid me.
Old 15-Nov-2009, 08:40   #65
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Quote:
Hmm! Whaddya know... I turned the PS3 off, turned the power switch off for good measure, turned switch on and pushed a button on the remote and the system lit right up.
First rule of IT support - Switch it off and on again to fix 99% of all problems!
Old 15-Nov-2009, 08:45   #66
eastmen

My ps3 40 gig still works except for the face buttons the eject and power down. I have to use the controller or the on/off switch on the back
eastmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-2009, 12:04   #67
Mize
That's my stapler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesh View Post
I think the failure rate was very low initially. But after a couple of years the old models started to wear off and brake. Around 2 years they start to show the signs of failure.
Uh, traditionally "failure rate" refers to warranty failure rate. A PS3 failing after 2 years doesn't affect that.
Old 20-Nov-2009, 23:03   #68
AntShaw

My 40gb unit recently stopped reading BR discs, it would load but crash out within the first 3 minutes of any DVD, BRD or game. I've been using the box strictly as a media player. I decided to move it into the bedroom, and it works again. I must of tried over 50 discs over the course of the past few weeks, just HOPING it would work one of the times, no dice.

The only difference is that it's not horizontal. Prior to this move, I've kept all my 360 & PS3's vertical and in a place where they get proper ventilation. Oh well, pleasantly surprised, and I won't look this gift horse in the mouth.
AntShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Nov-2009, 10:23   #69
ultragpu

Oh dear, looks like I'm not alone to have a ps3 broken this month. Yep, my 2.5yr old 60gig just died couple of days ago with my Batman AA stuck inside. Exactly the same problem as Nesh. The repair fee costs $250 AU so I abandoned that choice and got a Slim instead for $469 AU. I'm gonna get the 60giger fixed at some point and retrieve my game disc but yeah, console quality this gen is really disappointing indeed.
ultragpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Nov-2009, 13:12   #70
Nesh
Regular

Try to find an independent repair shop like I did.
Old 21-Nov-2009, 13:46   #71
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

But independent's are only 20 or so cheaper than Sony, at least here. Is the small saving really worth the reduced diagnostic, repair, and insider info abilities of the repairer?
Old 22-Nov-2009, 01:58   #72
ultragpu

I think I'll try the independent shop, once fixed and retrieved my game disc it'll be on sale for a cheap price.
ultragpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Nov-2009, 03:50   #73
Silent_Buddha
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
But independent's are only 20 or so cheaper than Sony, at least here. Is the small saving really worth the reduced diagnostic, repair, and insider info abilities of the repairer?
Well Nesh saved 70 Euros (50 Euros if he hadn't known a friend of the guy), not sure how that compares to British pounds, but still seems like a fairly significant amount.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Nov-2009, 04:03   #74
Nesh
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Buddha View Post
Well Nesh saved 70 Euros (50 Euros if he hadn't known a friend of the guy), not sure how that compares to British pounds, but still seems like a fairly significant amount.

Regards,
SB
Not just that but he had it fixed in one day. I got [b] my[b] console instead of a refurbished one so all my saves and data were back, together with my game that got stuck in it. I would have waited 2-3 weeks for a refurbished console and more than a month to retrieve my game if they couldnt get it out of my broken console.

I think though that they take refurbished consoles from the UK and send the broken ones there. Since I dont live in the UK probably thats the reason for the delay.
Old 22-Nov-2009, 09:36   #75
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Okay. Makes sense in that case. Do people get refurbished replacements for out-of-warranty PS3s? If so, I don't see why there'd be a delay. When my PS3 was replaced in warranty, they made the exchange on the doorstep, so it was only a couple of days wait. The only reason for a longer wait is if they are fixing and returning your PS3.