Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reply
Old 05-Nov-2009, 17:55   #26
infinity4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,235
Default

I am pretty sure performance played a BIG part in their departure.

Hopefully Renault leave as well so that I can hope Kubica in better McLaren car.
infinity4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Nov-2009, 18:17   #27
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity4 View Post
I am pretty sure performance played a BIG part in their departure.

Hopefully Renault leave as well so that I can hope Kubica in better McLaren car.
If Renault leaves, someone will buy the team because the team is good. Kubica won't drive in a McLaren until 2011 at the earliest, but he wants to go to Ferrari and not McLaren.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Nov-2009, 20:09   #28
DJ12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,595
Default

Maybe if Ferrari have another 10 year slump like they did in the mid 80s early 90s.
DJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Nov-2009, 20:39   #29
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ12 View Post
Maybe if Ferrari have another 10 year slump like they did in the mid 80s early 90s.
I don't see it happening.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Nov-2009, 20:44   #30
infinity4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
If Renault leaves, someone will buy the team because the team is good. Kubica won't drive in a McLaren until 2011 at the earliest, but he wants to go to Ferrari and not McLaren.
Source? I heard something like Kubica not wanting to pair up with Hamilton though...
infinity4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Nov-2009, 22:44   #31
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity4 View Post
Source? I heard something like Kubica not wanting to pair up with Hamilton though...
I can't remember where I read it and I can't find it.

Nevertheless, he is fluent in Italian, drove in the International Italian Junior Karting championship and he was the first non-Italian to win that.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Nov-2009, 01:45   #32
infinity4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,235
Default

It would be awesome if he can pair up with Alonso in the future.

Having said that, I think we need to actually give Kubica a competitive car. I hear people say he is overrated, well to me BMW was nothing good and he still managed to bring the title fight to last 2 races in 2008. Vettel has been given a chance and he has been making mistakes last season, let's see how Vettel can do in 2010.

My prediction will be that McLaren will struggle a bit because wheelbase is longer, this will favour Ferrari actually. Brawn GP and Red Bull will be strong as well.
infinity4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Nov-2009, 01:55   #33
Dave Baumann
Gamerscore Wh...
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity4 View Post
My prediction will be that McLaren will struggle a bit because wheelbase is longer, this will favour Ferrari actually. Brawn GP and Red Bull will be strong as well.
Not sure that that will be that much of an issue. Last year McLaren had a car that favoured the faster corner tracks because they had a long wheelbase. They shortened the wheelbase late into this year so that they could alter the weight balance of the car because they were more restricted than other teams because of the KERS placement.
__________________
Radeon is Gaming
Tweet Tweet!
Dave Baumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Nov-2009, 02:03   #34
Mendel
Mr. Upgrade
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,337
Default

This can't be good for Heikki Kovalainen. Where can he go now?
Mendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Nov-2009, 13:05   #35
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel View Post
This can't be good for Heikki Kovalainen. Where can he go now?
World Series by Renault? Joking aside, he's either lucked into a drive with a new team, or he's got a test driver position or he's out and has to go back to Finland and eat yellow snow.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Nov-2009, 22:15   #36
RobertR1
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,213
Default

It'd be disappointing to see Kimi sit out 2010. He's a top driver that can make for some good exciting racing in a top car.
__________________
Hall of fame thread: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=50668
RobertR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Nov-2009, 22:38   #37
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
It'd be disappointing to see Kimi sit out 2010. He's a top driver that can make for some good exciting racing in a top car.
If he sits out 2010, it'd be his and his management own damn fault. If they cannot get real and stop pretending that the Santander money doesn't exist when negotiating with other teams, they can just fuck off.

Joe Saward's latest blog posts: What is Renault up to? Why Ferrari is tough on the small teams

The team at Enstone is sound, and if Renault decides to walk away now or at the end of 2010, the team will be bought. It is a proven winner, they have great drivers for next year and if they design a good car for next year, Kubica may decide to lengthen his contract. Renault have proven that they are willing to develop a car to the end of the season (unlike BMW last year) and they have proven they can win races and championships (unlike BMW last year, at least the last part).

Regarding the politics, it is interesting what he's suggesting. Bernie (and thus CVC) can boss around a small new team more easily than a big, manufacturer backed team. 50% of the money the sport is generating is going to the wrong people.

Last edited by Bludd; 07-Nov-2009 at 00:17.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-2009, 00:16   #38
Tahir2
Itchy
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United Queendom
Posts: 2,873
Default

For the future of F1 lets hope the FIA and FOTA are able to get on better.

Hopefully there will be less scandals and soap opera moments for the 2010 season but I think it does increase ratings and thus advertising revenue.

I am very sad to see Toyota go, as I think with the right driver they were just about there in terms of performance. Sad to see them go, they certainly did not leave F1 with no achievements - shame that maiden win eluded them but even with it they would have left IMHO.

If the economy and car sales really pick up in 2010 (and indications are that the car industry is on the mend already) who thinks Honda, BMW and Toyota will be back by 2011?
Tahir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-2009, 00:22   #39
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahir2 View Post
If the economy and car sales really pick up in 2010 (and indications are that the car industry is on the mend already) who thinks Honda, BMW and Toyota will be back by 2011?
I don't see Honda buying Brawn back unless they have a water-tight clause. It looks like Mercedes is going to buy that team in the long term and make it a Mercedes works team. Honda could start a new team but this is very expensive and takes a long time, they could come back with the old Super Aguri outfit rebranded as Honda, though.

BMW? I don't care if they will be back, they have shown themselves not to be racers.

Toyota? Well, they never got a properly good driver even though they spent millions. They may be back, but they won't be successful without a stellar driver and without management which is willing to eschew kaizen and just get on with the business of racing which is not exactly the same as building Priuses.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-2009, 00:53   #40
Dave Baumann
Gamerscore Wh...
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahir2 View Post
If the economy and car sales really pick up in 2010 (and indications are that the car industry is on the mend already) who thinks Honda, BMW and Toyota will be back by 2011?
IMO - no. It'll take a much longer cycle than that before we see the manufacturers coming back in a big way.

Autosport also put an article up that hit the nail on the head - there is not enough room for innovation in F1's rules at the moment to allow manufacturers to see this as a viable development route an have that rub off on the technologies on their consumer cars.
__________________
Radeon is Gaming
Tweet Tweet!
Dave Baumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-2009, 00:56   #41
Dr Evil
Anas platyrhynchos
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
If he sits out 2010, it'd be his and his management own damn fault. If they cannot get real and stop pretending that the Santander money doesn't exist when negotiating with other teams, they can just fuck off.
Apparently Kimi get's more money from Ferrari/Santander if he doesn't drive anywhere next year. The amount of money he get's on top of his Ferrari salary is 17 Million $ if he doesn't drive and 10 Million $ if he drives somewhere else. Maclaren is apparently offering Kimi only 3.5 Million euros for next season, so he would be making more money by not driving. Of course Kimi already has so much money that this would hardly be the end of the world for him, but still it seems like Maclaren is trying to go quite cheap on him. Source for this is a finnish TV channel.
Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-2009, 01:10   #42
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
Apparently Kimi get's more money from Ferrari/Santander if he doesn't drive anywhere next year. The amount of money he get's on top of his Ferrari salary is 17 Million $ if he doesn't drive and 10 Million $ if he drives somewhere else. Maclaren is apparently offering Kimi only 3.5 Million euros for next season, so he would be making more money by not driving. Of course Kimi already has so much money that this would hardly be the end of the world for him, but still it seems like Maclaren is trying to go quite cheap on him. Source for this is a finnish TV channel.
Either he is passionate about driving and winning and fighting for championships or he just wants to eat ice cream and drink Coke.

Of course, he shouldn't go there for free, but he should not pretend that $10 million is not serious money.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-2009, 01:21   #43
Dr Evil
Anas platyrhynchos
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
Either he is passionate about driving and winning and fighting for championships or he just wants to eat ice cream and drink Coke.

Of course, he shouldn't go there for free, but he should not pretend that $10 million is not serious money.
I'd bet money that he is going drive Maclaren next year. So more ice cream and Pepsi Max for ME!
Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-2009, 01:39   #44
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
I'd bet money that he is going drive Maclaren next year. So more ice cream and Pepsi Max for ME!
I hope you are right, because it would be awesome to see him and Lewis battle it out against Fernando and Felipe.

And Jens and Nico, and Seb and Mhhhk.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-2009, 04:11   #45
Kaotik
Drunk Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,462
Send a message via ICQ to Kaotik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
I hope you are right, because it would be awesome to see him and Lewis battle it out against Fernando and Felipe.

And Jens and Nico, and Seb and Mhhhk.
And what's best, is that apparently lewis favours oversteering car too, so the car should be more or less fitting to both of their styles
__________________
I'm nothing but a shattered soul...
Been ravaged by the chaotic beauty...
Ruined by the unreal temptations...
I was betrayed by my own beliefs...
Kaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-Nov-2009, 13:17   #46
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/...endar-rumours/
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2009, 12:58   #47
Gerry
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 659
Default

Mercedes buying Brawn

Likely to be a Rosberg/Heidfeld line-up as well, which isn't exactly a surprise.

Will this be the first time that the reigning constructor and driver champions lose both drivers during the off-season?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2009, 13:54   #48
Dave Baumann
Gamerscore Wh...
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,597
Default

Apparently McLarne will still run the same silver (with Vodaphone red) colour scheme. I wonder if Brawn will run the same type of high visibility silver that McLaren does - I remember McLaren being quite proud when they developed that.
__________________
Radeon is Gaming
Tweet Tweet!
Dave Baumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2009, 14:45   #49
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/...d-the-drivers/
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Nov-2009, 02:07   #50
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Now we will have 3 works teams in F1: Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault. This is down from 6 in 2008 and down from 5 in 2009.

McLaren will still get engines for Mercedes until they themselves can build up their engine department and become a car manufacturer in their own right, and thus a works team.

There's still a cloud over Renault's F1 plans, but I am with Joe Saward on this: I hope they won't pull out and I think Carlos Ghosn, aka Le Cost Cutter, is too intelligent to just drop it now. If he was going to drop it, he would have dropped it earlier.

And breaking news: Button appears to be heading for McLaren. Maybe.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/...ng-to-mclaren/
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.