Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 04-Jan-2011, 08:26   #951
nightshade
Interwebz Hijacker !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeRocks View Post
Thats Dharavi, the biggest slum of Mumbai, and I think the world too, not sure about that. Not really a replica though. Once you go inside those byelanes, only an insider can get you out. Have had that experience :P ! Its pretty dark in those lanes even during day. Lotsa mini factories inside and a den of software piracy. Not so bright and sunny as shown in this video, though.
Indeed...I went there once and it was nightmarish.
Old 04-Jan-2011, 13:01   #952
RenegadeRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveOrino View Post
I haven't seen this posted yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=galgKO4tCog

Other than the nasty screen tear its pretty much what I expected it to look like on consoles.
Lighting looks nice in that gameplay, but the textures on ground and walls look tiled and boring. They had this composite shader which can break monotny by mxing two textures. They would obviously use that , it seems unfinished work rather than ugly gfx.
The awesome trailer on youtube !
Renegade's Muse !
RenegadeRocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Jan-2011, 13:16   #953
pjbliverpool
B3D Scallywag

Send a message via MSN to pjbliverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardBonobo View Post
That probably explains why the games they produce are so mediocre. It's all about simulation not stimulation!
I couldn't disagree more. I recently started playing Warhead for the first time and its some of the most fun I've ever had with an action game. The other games that I was playing before I started it have been completely dropped in comparison. (Farcry 2, Assassins Creed 2 and Lost Planet -second time through).

If its pure action you're looking for, nothing in my experience really comes close for a perfect balance between tactics and pure action.

8086 8Mhz -> Pentium 90 -> K6-2 233Mhz -> Athlon 'Thunderbird' 1Ghz -> AthlonXP 2400+ 2Ghz -> Core2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz -> Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
pjbliverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Jan-2011, 13:24   #954
nightshade
Interwebz Hijacker !

Quote:
Lighting looks nice in that gameplay, but the textures on ground and walls look tiled and boring. They had this composite shader which can break monotny by mxing two textures. They would obviously use that , it seems unfinished work rather than ugly gfx.
The stress test was quite unimpressive as well as messy looking and also ran at a terrible framerate with lots of tearing, surely not what I expected...especially on a scale so small.
Old 05-Jan-2011, 21:38   #955
L. Scofield

Technology Demonstration:

-Full Time of Day transition (with a hint of GI)
-Dynamic Night Vision (with lens flares)
-Dynamic Terrain Surface Types
-Dynamic Weather Environment (OMG at the mirages!)
-Advanced Integrated Physics
-Water Current System
-Real-time Cave Creation
-Sketchup Model Import

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V396uuiAsU&hd=1
L. Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Jan-2011, 22:10   #956
Neb
Iron "BEAST" Man

At 1:46 it looks like the Crysis SP map "Island" with some modifications. I've done the same putting the tornado at same location!

Quote:
RealTime Immersive, Inc. (RTI) is a simulation and serious games studio established to support CryENGINEŽ licensees in the serious game and simulation market space.
Old 06-Jan-2011, 11:04   #957
Cyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_B View Post

The white rectangle things really show it between the green ceiling and white walls.
Thanks for the pic, it explains it all. I see it clearly, just being a bit observant. I have a slight idea about what AO and SSAO are but when looking at pics I don't tend to notice it or look for it.

I was surprised that he noticed it so clearly at that particular moment because the video is quite lengthy.

Geek. It's great coming to a place where you can learn about new things and share opinions with well-educated, expert people and talking about these subjects naturally. It's definitely a good motivation.

Trolling can hit any forum at any given time, anyhow. Hell, it's the internet. I am more interested in seeing such comments made on here or in any other topic of this forum than on an article somewhere.

Which is funny because I'd rather consider myself an average user than a tech expert.
Quote:
Thats Dharavi, the biggest slum of Mumbai, and I think the world too, not sure about that. Not really a replica though. Once you go inside those byelanes, only an insider can get you out. Have had that experience :P ! Its pretty dark in those lanes even during day. Lotsa mini factories inside and a den of software piracy. Not so bright and sunny as shown in this video, though.
That's very interesting, I didn't think it was based on a real life place. Now that I look closely at the video the place seems quite huge. I don't know if the populace ranges from hoods and bloods, low key pirates, to writers and teachers, or just regular everyday people -most likely judging by your description- and so on, but it certainly seems to a peculiar place.
Cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Jan-2011, 14:15   #958
KKRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Scofield View Post
Technology Demonstration:

-Full Time of Day transition (with a hint of GI)
-Dynamic Night Vision (with lens flares)
-Dynamic Terrain Surface Types
-Dynamic Weather Environment (OMG at the mirages!)
-Advanced Integrated Physics
-Water Current System
-Real-time Cave Creation
-Sketchup Model Import

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V396uuiAsU&hd=1
Awesome presentation.
KKRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Jan-2011, 14:27   #959
Sxotty

Quote:
The bicycle at 1:30 is messed up Sorry I had to point that out.
Old 08-Jan-2011, 02:32   #960
MJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
On a side note, their SSAO is based off of this: http://www.cs.utah.edu/~loos/publications/vo/
Yeah I used the same paper as a starting point when implementing SSAO for our engine at work. It definitely lets you get away with lower sample counts, which is nice.
Old 22-Jan-2011, 23:08   #962
Silent_Buddha
Regular

Absolutely fantastic, except for the visual aliasing.

Things like that really make me excited to see a Cityscape (ala Crysis 2) in ways a Junglescape (Crysis 1) couldn't.

The diffuse shadows look quite good. Perhaps this'll be the first time on PC I leave shadows on full when given a choice. IMO, currently noone in the industry can touch Crytek with regards to tech and graphics IQ.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 00:52   #963
Ruskie

Holy...
Ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 10:45   #964
Neb
Iron "BEAST" Man

Fantastic lighting and shadows making it look realistic/realistic CGI. Really shows CE3 superior tech just like what CE2 did before. To spice it up higher res textures and POM would be suitable. Looks about on par with lightmass from UE3.5 but this stuff is realtime, REALTIME rendered, not baked.
Old 23-Jan-2011, 10:52   #965
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Remarkble stuff. You can see this has a place in professional visualisation or graphics prototyping. How it scales on consoles is a big question mark.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 15:05   #966
L. Scofield

A little bit of exaggeration Nebula, while it looks great and it's 100% realtime, it still lacks penumbra, area and indirect shadows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
How it scales on consoles is a big question mark.
Not really. Their papers on GI give us numbers.

http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/presentations

Besides, GI was already present in the XB360 build they used for the "beta" they had a few months back.
L. Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 16:50   #967
Silent_Buddha
Regular

Dang, and GTX 285 is already 2 generations (or 1.5 depending on how much better you consider GTX 580 over 480 and Radeon 6970 over 5870) old on PC.

It's interesting that LPV look-up is so much faster on consoles. I'm assuming LPV lookup is still only half resolution on PS3 while it's roughly the same between X360 and PC?

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 18:04   #968
pjbliverpool
B3D Scallywag

Send a message via MSN to pjbliverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Buddha View Post
Dang, and GTX 285 is already 2 generations (or 1.5 depending on how much better you consider GTX 580 over 480 and Radeon 6970 over 5870) old on PC.

It's interesting that LPV look-up is so much faster on consoles. I'm assuming LPV lookup is still only half resolution on PS3 while it's roughly the same between X360 and PC?

Regards,
SB
What's LPV lookup? Do we know why it would be faster on a console?

8086 8Mhz -> Pentium 90 -> K6-2 233Mhz -> Athlon 'Thunderbird' 1Ghz -> AthlonXP 2400+ 2Ghz -> Core2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz -> Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
pjbliverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 18:25   #969
Neb
Iron "BEAST" Man

Quote:

Regards,
SB
The GTX285 is working on 4x resolution vs 360/PS3.
Old 23-Jan-2011, 18:26   #970
AlNets
A bit netty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbliverpool View Post
What's LPV lookup?
3D texture lookup to render/illuminate the scene amongst a couple other things.

Quote:
Do we know why it would be faster on a console?
Possibly API overhead on PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
The GTX285 is working on 4x resolution vs 360/PS3.
That's just for the RSM. The final lit scene is 1280x720.

Quote:
I'm assuming LPV lookup is still only half resolution on PS3
Yeah, they make use of that 2xMSAA remapping trick.
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 18:34   #971
Neb
Iron "BEAST" Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
Possibly API overhead on PC.
I wonder though why they did this bench in DX9 API mode. AFAIK all their benches and numbers with GTX285 has been under DX9 API.

Quote:
That's just for the RSM.
Perhaps it can affect other things due to bigger surface/higher res to sample?

Anyway here is another chart with different perfomance numbers for Sponza testmap (2010-I3D ppt document).

Last edited by Neb; 23-Jan-2011 at 18:59.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 23:52   #972
Neb
Iron "BEAST" Man

Quote:
A little bit of exaggeration Nebula, while it looks great and it's 100% realtime, it still lacks penumbra, area and indirect shadows.
True, true though SSAO if stronger would do a satisfactory job especially if it also can handle mapping. Also was it explained at what API mode this was taken in becouse it sure is lame having everything or near everything showcased on PC CE3 being DX9 so far.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 09:37   #973
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Quote:
Not really. Their papers on GI give us numbers.
http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/presentations
The first presentations showed realtime GI on consoles, but it was significantly reduced quality. These latest screenshots are running at higher quality than what was shown in their September presentations. That chart you posted shows quarter resolution RSM rendering. If the above cathedral scene was rendered on consoles to the same quality, how long would it take? If scaled back to run realtime, how will the image be affected?
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2011, 22:11   #974
Rangers
Regular

Cevat is saying "Unreal Engine couldn't handle Crysis"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ysis-2-crytek/

Quote:
Crytek has told CVG that its CryEngine 3 could have fuelled the development of "pretty much any other game" - but claimed that its rivals, including Epic Games' Unreal Engine, would struggle to power Crysis 2.
I think thats fairly true. UE3 is 5 years old after all. I think UE3 still looks great on the newest build (Bulletstorm, Gears 3) but Cryengine 3 does look better.

Boy nobody must want a longer console gen than Cevat. Yeah he's got the best engine (at least in looks) but is there any more time for games to use it this gen?
Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2011, 22:31   #975
MarkoIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
Cevat is saying "Unreal Engine couldn't handle Crysis"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ysis-2-crytek/

I think thats fairly true. UE3 is 5 years old after all. I think UE3 still looks great on the newest build (Bulletstorm, Gears 3) but Cryengine 3 does look better.

Boy nobody must want a longer console gen than Cevat. Yeah he's got the best engine (at least in looks) but is there any more time for games to use it this gen?
I would be happy with a maxed out CE3@1080p on Xbox720/PS4
MarkoIt is offline   Reply With Quote