Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 24-Jul-2008, 13:34   #1
trinibwoy
Meh

Default Nvidia Big Bang II

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/....php?p=3162512

SLI connectivity features
Display connectivity
Quality improvements
Performance improvements
OpenGL 3.0

Given Big Bang I was SLI any ideas what Big Bang II could be? Something like PhysX support would seem pretty weak compared to the impact SLI had....
Old 24-Jul-2008, 14:09   #2
Albuquerque
Red-headed step child

Could we start a "shared framebuffer" rumor for NV's SLI like we did for ATI's CF?

That's all I've got.
Get some supplies <...> Within the next couple of months, you'll need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ 6/9 View Post
And riots are about to begin too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_8/5 View Post
food shortages and huge price jumps I predicted recently are becoming very real now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ View Post
If it turns out I was wrong, I'll admit being stupid
Albuquerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 02:24   #3
Dooby

A GPU thats big enough and draws enough power to actually implode in on itself, creating a warp in time and space?

This time, it may not just a clever name....
Old 25-Jul-2008, 12:55   #4
neliz
MSI Man

Send a message via ICQ to neliz Send a message via MSN to neliz Send a message via Skype™ to neliz

Hmm .. Big Bang? I hope it's not NV's Boom Shaka Laka.

actually, looking at the timeframe, i'st just a WHQL'd Detonator with PhysX support.
Old 25-Jul-2008, 13:27   #5
suryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooby View Post
A GPU thats big enough and draws enough power to actually implode in on itself, creating a warp in time and space?

This time, it may not just a clever name....
thanks for that.
suryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 13:42   #6
DegustatoR

Big Bang II - [???]
New HW features
Display connectivity
Quality improvements
Performance improvements
OpenGL 3.0
DegustatoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 17:29   #7
nicolasb

Unsurprisingly Charlie Demerjian has chimed in on this: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ang-ii-nothing

Charlie's main source seems to be Chile Hardware: http://www.chw.net/foro/nvidia-lanza...ml#post2166398

Mr D says:

Quote:
WHAT DO YOU do when you suddenly find yourself in second place, trailing badly with no hope for the rest of the year? You stop artificially crippling your drivers and spin it to the users as magnanimous, welcome to Nvidia's Big Bang II.

The good folk at Chile Hardware were the first to notice it on a blurry slide. The obvious inference is to 'Big Bang', aka the SLI introduction, which was a big deal. Big Bang II is simply not. It is the code name for Release 180 drivers, and they are coming from September 08 to February 09.

R180 has five bullet points, 10-bit displayport support, OpenGL 3.0, SLI on multi-monitors, transcoding on the GPU, and some performance 'optimisations' over R177. Come autumn, they will be catching up to ATI on several key checkboxes, this is a big bang?

The only one in there worth getting excited over is SLI on multi-monitors, and that is kind of a sham. Nvidia will obviously tout it as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they are just unbreaking the driver. They could have turned it on any time they wanted to, it works just fine in the Quadro line. Nvidia hurts their most loyal customer base by artificially turning it off in the normal card line. Why anyone thinks they deserve kudos for stopping breaking drivers is beyond me.

In any case, Big Bang II is a small step forward and it brings a few nice features and one very needed one. It is a real pity that their hand had to be forced to stop hurting users for margins though, but that is the way they operate.
Old 25-Jul-2008, 17:58   #8
suryad

Wow I just dont see the point of deliberately hiding your featuresets over competitors...thats kinda not intuitive. That said I am interested about those driver sets because who does not love performance/feature upgrades? I just find it hard to believe Nvidia would cripple itself on purpose...he does have a point with the SLI multimonitor support thing though.
suryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 18:35   #9
INKster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasb View Post
Unsurprisingly Charlie Demerjian has chimed in on this: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ang-ii-nothing

Charlie's main source seems to be Chile Hardware: http://www.chw.net/foro/nvidia-lanza...ml#post2166398

Mr D says:
"Mr. D" said something so despicable (ignored the tragic loss of innocent lives and focused on the "the world got rid of another email spammer/we're all a little happier now" angle of the story) this morning that even i stopped having fun reading his Nvidia rant of the day a few minutes afterwards.
In fact, even The Inq's editor himself felt the need to apologize for Charlie and pulled his story from the site.
Next to that story (which i can't find anymore, unfortunately) Nvidia-hate is meaningless and it truly shows a man's character.
INKster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 18:48   #10
TimothyFarrar

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKster View Post
Next to that story (which i can't find anymore, unfortunately) Nvidia-hate is meaningless and it truly shows a man's character.
No kidding!

A GL3 driver is awesome news for some of us!
Old 25-Jul-2008, 18:50   #11
DegustatoR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
this is a big bang?
Depends on what "performance 'optimisations' over R177" will look like.
DegustatoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 19:24   #12
WaltC

Location: BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privileges: Internet access

Does anyone else remember nVidia's infamous "Detonator" drivers from several years ago?...

If "Big Bang II" turns out like the Detonators (presumably "Big Bang 1") then it's sure to be a dud...
WaltC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 20:17   #13
ChrisRay
R.I.P. 1983-2010

Charlie couldnt be more wrong. I've already hinted at some of these upcoming changes in previous threads here.

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 20:21   #14
BRiT

So what part of the following is wrong?

R180 has five bullet points:
  • 10-bit displayport support
  • OpenGL 3.0
  • SLI on multi-monitors
  • transcoding on the GPU
  • some performance 'optimisations' over R177.
Old 25-Jul-2008, 21:08   #15
Skrying
S K R Y I N G

What else could they introduce with the drivers that would be a big deal? Performance optimizations would clearly be the biggest things Nvidia could do at this point and by a rather massive margin.
Skrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 21:12   #16
Silent_Buddha
Regular

That blurry picture of a slide also mentions "Quality improvements".

Interesting to see what comes of that.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 21:15   #17
ChrisRay
R.I.P. 1983-2010

There are tons of flexibility improvements that can be made to Nvidia drivers as of now. Many including PhysX, SLI, AA driver controls.

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 25-Jul-2008, 21:23   #18
Florin
Merrily dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
There are tons of flexibility improvements that can be made to Nvidia drivers as of now. Many including PhysX, SLI, AA driver controls.
And maybe they could go back to the classic control panel while we're at it!

Ah well, a man can dream.
Florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 21:35   #19
Dooby

Quote:
Too Little. Too Late. Much too late. One of the reasons I hated SLI was having to change configuration to use SLI, then it wouldn't remember my previous settings when I went back to dual monitor. Had to reset everything every time I came out of a game. It just wasn't on.

Oh well, not only did I dump my GTXs, I bought two 4870s. Other than the heat, so impressed was I that I've ordered two 4870X2s. NV just lost out to the tune of 6 GPUs from me alone.

The Big Bang they are referring to must be the rush of air into the gap in their accounts where a health profit used to be. They got kicked around this generation, and I'm disgusted it took this to get what should be standard features. I paid nearly £700 for my two 8800s. I didn't pay a heck of a lot more for all four 4870(X2) cards.
Old 25-Jul-2008, 22:08   #20
fbomber

Icon Rolleyes

Quote:
And they“re calling it "Big Bang II"? Indirectly comparing it to the reintroduction of SLI?

Man, when I think I had seen everything from Nvidia PR, they come and surprise me!
fbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 23:08   #21
ChrisRay
R.I.P. 1983-2010

Drawing onclusions based off a slide with limited information and alot of heresay always comes as a surprise to me too. But hey thats why we have Charlie,. To keep us entertained.

Old 25-Jul-2008, 23:10   #22
Florin
Merrily dodgy

The lynchmob is just getting drunk so far, wait till the pack hits the streets

Last edited by Florin; 25-Jul-2008 at 23:18.
Florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 23:13   #23
ChrisRay
R.I.P. 1983-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post
The lynchmob is just getting drunk so far, wait till the pack hits the streets
Thanks for the warning. I'll look for the nearest bomb shelter to hide in

Old 25-Jul-2008, 23:20   #24
trinibwoy
Meh

Quote:
Sadly, if that's all it is, not many people will care. It has to be something that actually has a tangible impact on the experience - AMD has very rigid driver controls and no PhysX and those things aren't dampening the popularity of RV770 at all. So far there doesn't seem to be much of a bang, far less a big one......
Old 26-Jul-2008, 02:24   #25
ShaidarHaran
hardware monkey

Transcoding on the GPU would be a "big-bang" for me. I get ~5.4x realtime speedup in Procoder 3.0 on my 4GHz E8400. Would be nice to see a 100x speedup from my o/c'd 8800 GT

Think of it as the "killer app" for GPGPU (at least until someone figures out how to turn people's 2d digital camera photos/movies into 3d images).
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote