Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 01-Jul-2008, 17:12   #1
patsu
Regular

Default Cell Processor Helps Repsol Find Deep Oil (Update 1)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...=latin_america

Quote:
Repsol YPF SA, Spain's largest oil company, is using chips that International Business Machines Corp. designed for video-game consoles to find oil in deep water as much as six times faster.

``Seventy-five percent of reserves are underwater and there are significant barriers because it is very hard to predict rock structures,'' said Srini Chari, an analyst with New York-based Cabot Partners, a research firm. The IBM technology lets companies survey regions that weren't accessible before, he said.

Working with the Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Repsol is using so-called reverse time migration, a technique for mapping subsurface rock structures, to study the Gulf of Mexico.

EDIT: Argh... copied the title and then realized that it should read "Cell Processor Help Repsol Find Deep Oil (Update 1)" (Mods, help !)
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Jul-2008, 19:47   #2
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct

Cool.

"PowerXCell 8i " - Is that some fancy name for the regular 8SPE+1PPE configuration?
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Jul-2008, 21:26   #3
patsu
Regular

This one: http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/640
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Jul-2008, 21:26   #4
Panajev2001a

Send a message via MSN to Panajev2001a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
Cool.

"PowerXCell 8i " - Is that some fancy name for the regular 8SPE+1PPE configuration?
No, it indicates the DP enhanced variant... each SPE can now execute DP FP operations at a much higher throughput than before (now only only 0.5 so you get 25 .6 SP GFLOPS per SPE and 12.8 DP GFLOPS per SPE).

http://www-03.ibm.com/technology/cel...ay2008_pub.pdf
Old 02-Jul-2008, 04:16   #5
Carl B
Friends call me xbd

@Alstrong - What's the PowerXCell 8i?

Great to see a big name putting the architecture to work in oil exploration. This gives us now some decent wins in several of the industries IBM is targeting with the architecture. Que bueno!
Old 02-Jul-2008, 18:38   #6
scificube

Cell has struck oil! Okay...not so much but it's nice to see another serious application of the Cell processor.