Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 02-Dec-2007, 11:26   #1
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Default Anyone used a USB hub + card reader on PS3?

Had a friend asking about the SKU differences. He can't find a 60GB SKU anywhere in the UK so we were trying to pin down if the differences are worth worrying about. Has anyone tried using a USB hub to access devices on a PS3? Or a standard card reader and if the XMB can access media through that directly? As he has both already, if these things work automagically then apart from the lack of games bundled, the 40GB would be a suitable purchase.

Tolerance for internet moronism is exhausted. Anyone talking about people's attitudes in the Console fora, rather than games and technology, will feel my wrath. Read the FAQ to remind yourself how to behave and avoid unsightly incidents.
Shifty Geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Dec-2007, 11:38   #2
manux

I have tried sandisk imagemate 6-in-1 usb card reader in ps3 and it did work.
manux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Dec-2007, 12:48   #3
Arwin
Now Officially a Top 10 Poster

I also tried an el-cheapo 11-in-1 reader (my wife has an xD type memory card which is rarely supported directly), and that did work fine too. Most of these cards just seem to offer the contents of the Memory stick as a standard type storage medium USB connection, which should basically always work.

I haven't tried a HUB yet, but I have some lying around so I could give it a try. I'd put money on that working without any issues though. I think for instance the Rockband peripherals work that way, and Buzz may well internally too (on the PS2).
Arwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Dec-2007, 13:57   #4
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

If you can demonstrate a hub and a card reader and other USB devices in that all working fine, I'd be mightily pleased!

Tolerance for internet moronism is exhausted. Anyone talking about people's attitudes in the Console fora, rather than games and technology, will feel my wrath. Read the FAQ to remind yourself how to behave and avoid unsightly incidents.
Old 02-Dec-2007, 14:50   #5
infinity4

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.
I never heard of a device not working.
infinity4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Dec-2007, 18:15   #6
cthellis42
Hoopy Frood

Send a message via ICQ to cthellis42 Send a message via AIM to cthellis42 Send a message via Skype™ to cthellis42

A friend of mine has a random D-Link USB hub plugged in, and everything works through it fine. He has a 60GB, so doesn't need to plug in a card reader, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work unless it was produced by Joe's Grill, Garage, and Card Reader Manufacturing. (Heck, maybe not even then. )

It's read off digital cameras and iPods (if you have "disk usage") and external HDD's just fine, so...
Old 03-Dec-2007, 03:53   #7
Gradthrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
Had a friend asking about the SKU differences. He can't find a 60GB SKU anywhere in the UK so we were trying to pin down if the differences are worth worrying about. Has anyone tried using a USB hub to access devices on a PS3? Or a standard card reader and if the XMB can access media through that directly? As he has both already, if these things work automagically then apart from the lack of games bundled, the 40GB would be a suitable purchase.
I have to tell you, those built-in card readers come in handy, and help keep the front looking clean w/o devices dangling.

Conversely, a cooler, 65nm Cell, and reportedly better WiFi/BT adapter are pretty tempting.

I'm surprised he can't find a 60GB unit.
Gradthrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Dec-2007, 08:46   #8
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

There just aren't any in the UK at the moment it seems. Well in this part if it! None of the online retailers, including online arms of highstreet stores, have it in stock either. I guess the bundle offer was too tempting and those wanting PS3's for Christmas lapped the 60GB's quick.

Old 03-Dec-2007, 11:49   #9
Arwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
If you can demonstrate a hub and a card reader and other USB devices in that all working fine, I'd be mightily pleased!
I could, but currently only on a 60Gb console obviously.
Old 04-Dec-2007, 14:04   #10
oramay

I'd also like to know if an unpowered USB hub connected to PS3 can support 3 things at once: keyboard, mouse (both may be wireless) and card reader. If not, how about only keyboard and mouse?

I want to buy a PS3 with 65nm Cell but the 80GB version feels like taking forever.
oramay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Dec-2007, 15:51   #11
Fu3lFr3nzy

Speaking of which, has anyone heard of any info about 80GB PS3's going 65nm anytime soon?

Im quite on a PS3 crossroad as the 40GB sounds nice with 65nm Cell making the console much more cooler and less power hungry, but at the same time the lack of two extra USB ports and Card Readers might be something i'll regret later on.

Sure, I can use an external hub, but thats not very good to look at now is it
Old 22-Jul-2008, 11:39   #12
force94
Registered

Sony Playstation 3

ive used 3 different types of card reader with my ps3 (40gb) and they've worked fine
but im not sure about usb hubs
force94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2008, 13:01   #13
Arwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu3lFr3nzy View Post
Speaking of which, has anyone heard of any info about 80GB PS3's going 65nm anytime soon?

Im quite on a PS3 crossroad as the 40GB sounds nice with 65nm Cell making the console much more cooler and less power hungry, but at the same time the lack of two extra USB ports and Card Readers might be something i'll regret later on.
I must say I do like that I have the extra USB ports and the card readers. They aren't really essential but I do use them (meaning I don't have to swap out my EyeToy for instance when I'm using one to recharge and the other with the DFPro wheel plugged in), and they are good - i.e. the card readers seems to work better than most PC card readers (we have two) in reading 4GB discs for instance (which I can't get to work on my wife's Vista machine for instance).

However, I don't see that version become available anytime soon in Europe. Don't know about the U.S., but the European 40GB version is going to become an 80GB edition with otherwise the same feature set, so just the HDD replaced. If it turns out that 80GB version isn't also more energy efficient (though I think it may well be) then maybe I'll use that point in time to pick up a cheap 40GB and upgrade it's HDD. I definitely want a second PS3 for in my office room.
Old 22-Jul-2008, 13:45   #14
inefficient

I use a card reader. It works exactly as expected, as in perfectly.
inefficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jul-2008, 20:43   #15
Iron Tiger

Send a message via ICQ to Iron Tiger Send a message via AIM to Iron Tiger Send a message via MSN to Iron Tiger

I have a 7-port DLink hub and not everything works when connected to it. I can't remember exactly which things are incompatible, but I think my PS Eye was among them.
Old 30-Jul-2008, 21:13   #16
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Have you tried them in all the ports? Or do some peripherals just not work at all through that USB hub?

Old 30-Jul-2008, 21:27   #17
Gradthrawn

And is the hub powered or unpowered?
Gradthrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jan-2010, 20:24   #18
dumle29
Registered

i have tried a könig 4 port hub and stuff like flash drives and external hdd worked fine, but my GH guitar and logitech GH drums wont work when plugged into the hub. they will however work if they are plugged into a build in hub in a ps3 stand i have
dumle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jan-2010, 20:30   #19
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Thread necromancy! In the end he bought a specific 3 port hub+card reader shaped to fit and it works very well.

Old 31-Jan-2010, 20:41   #20
patsu
Regular

What is the make and model of that hub ?
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jan-2010, 22:03   #21
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/n...s-multicard-r/

Old 01-Feb-2010, 02:08   #22
patsu
Regular

Ok cool, I was looking for one for my Home PS3. The cheap, unbranded hub I bought didn't seem to work well with all the peripherals.
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Feb-2010, 04:12   #23
DrJay24

I have two unpowered hubs on my PS3, one has a card reader which I keep a 4GB SD card in for backps.
DrJay24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2010, 12:09   #24
JPREBEL3
Registered

Default Ps3 usb 7.1 soundcard/ps3 tech.

Mod: Question deleted because you're rude and obnoxious. If you want to try again with a little civility, please feel welcome.

Last edited by Shifty Geezer; 18-Feb-2010 at 12:12. Reason: No need for shouting!
JPREBEL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2010, 12:14   #25
JPREBEL3
Registered

Default Ps3 usb 7.1 soundcard/ps3 tech.

Mod edit: There's no need to shout, and show a little patience.
JPREBEL3 is offline   Reply With Quote