Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 10-Sep-2007, 06:54   #1
B3D News
Beyond3D News

Default John Carmack not as interested in Linux (and OpenGL?)

A german publication has posted an interview with Todd Hollenshead, id Software's CEO, that reveals id Software and John Carmack are no longer as committed to Linux as they have been. Todd's words also imply that the Windows version of id Software's next game, Rage, will use Direct3D rather than OpenGL.

Read the full news item
B3D News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-2007, 07:26   #2
fellix

Send a message via Skype™ to fellix

Now that would froze the hell, but does this means that DX platform is enough mature for the Carmack's realm?
Linux: EU -- Diverse and broke.
fellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-2007, 09:14   #3
Zark

Or it is more like:
Now days he is more money focused and not the same enthusiast as he used to be.
Zark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-2007, 13:35   #4
iwod

May be he will use OpenGL again once 3.0 and 3.1 are out?
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-2007, 18:14   #5
Sxotty

Or maybe that is the sort of thing that happens when you listen to hearsay as evidence.
Old 10-Sep-2007, 19:54   #6
Gabrobot

Carmack said at QuakeCon that the PC version of id Tech 5 is using OpenGL (but he also said that DirectX is just as good/perhaps better). He said there was a possibility it might go to DirectX if necessary. It sounds like it's a pretty trivial thing for them to use one API or the other.

As for Linux, I believe what Todd Hollenshead meant is they aren't planning to officially support Linux in id Tech 5 like they are the other platforms...as in licensing and such (remember the engines are integrated across the platforms, they're not just ports). That doesn't mean Rage/future Quake Arena won't have a Linux version, that's probably up to Timothée Besset (as it has been for their last few games).

Edit: Just to clarify, I think Hollenshead mentioning DX9 vs. DX10 is more along the lines of the hardware generation, not the actual API...so him saying it's still DX9 is like saying Doom 3 is DX9...it's the DX9 generation, but not necessarily the API.
Gabrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-2007, 22:03   #7
Richard
Mord's imaginary friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrobot View Post
Edit: Just to clarify, I think Hollenshead mentioning DX9 vs. DX10 is more along the lines of the hardware generation, not the actual API...so him saying it's still DX9 is like saying Doom 3 is DX9...it's the DX9 generation, but not necessarily the API.
That might as well be (that's why I put a question mark in the headline) but he was specifically talking about the Mac version using OGL, XBOX version using its custom DX9 version and PS3 using the libgcm API in the same context as saying Windows version will use DX9.
Old 10-Sep-2007, 23:08   #8
Gabrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
That might as well be (that's why I put a question mark in the headline) but he was specifically talking about the Mac version using OGL, XBOX version using its custom DX9 version and PS3 using the libgcm API in the same context as saying Windows version will use DX9.
Well it's interesting because I'd heard earlier (year or two ago) that Carmack had switched to DirectX on the PC so I was bit thrown when he talked about it still using OpenGL. It may be they have both renderers in the engine ala UnrealEngine...?
Gabrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Sep-2007, 12:54   #9
_xxx_
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zark View Post
Or it is more like:
Now days he is more money focused and not the same enthusiast as he used to be.
Nowadays D3D became much better, thus he has no need to rely on OGL and tries to make his work easier. Just a very normal thing.

Besides, it was a mis-translation. All they said is "We're using DX9 on the PC so the game will run on XP as well, not Vista only". This sounds just like the regular sound etc. part like Doom3 employed and no single word specifically about graphics. But they said the XBox version uses the DX-eqivalent and Macs OGL.

EDIT: towards the end they said that OGL is still being suported, but Carmack likes DX more now since it incredibly matured in the meantime while OGL (the API) development gets slowed down by the comitee etc.

Last edited by _xxx_; 11-Sep-2007 at 13:03.
_xxx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Sep-2007, 14:10   #10
Rodéric
a.k.a. Ingenu

Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ View Post
Nowadays D3D became much better, thus he has no need to rely on OGL and tries to make his work easier. Just a very normal thing.
Direct3D9 is still a joke with its prohibitive draw call cost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ View Post
EDIT: towards the end they said that OGL is still being suported, but Carmack likes DX more now since it incredibly matured in the meantime while OGL (the API) development gets slowed down by the comitee etc.
Hopefuly OpenGL 3.0 is (alsmot) here !
(around D3D10 API quality/simplicity for NV3x+/R3xx+)

But I'm getting off topic.

BTW from http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_id_So...007_07482.html
"But it’s a OpenGL title on the PC and Mac right now” said Carmack during an interview with Gameinformer.