Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 02-Sep-2007, 09:56   #1
one
Unruly Member

Default Toshiba to put Cell in TV by 2009

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/ne...-DVD-at-IFA/p1

Quote:
Toshiba and HD DVD at IFA
Author Riyad Emeran
Published 31st August 2007

Toshiba's big press conference at IFA was shared with the HD DVD Promotion Group. Of course this was no big surprise, considering that Toshiba has been championing the HD DVD format for the past year, producing some excellent hardware along the way.

Toshiba and the HD DVD PRG weren't scared to evangelise about their high definition format and why it is a better bet to Blu-ray, but Toshiba was also keen to give us an insight into future generations of products.

The slide below shows four areas of development for consumer entertainment. The first box highlights the interactive features that are already offered by HD DVD, something that Toshiba was keen to point out isn't available on Blu-ray. Far more intriguing however, was the talk of Toshiba leveraging its CELL chip technology. Of course the CELL chip is best known for powering the PlayStation 3, but it was actually developed by Sony, Toshiba and IBM. Toshiba was very clear that the CELL chip will feature in future TVs, giving them significant processing power. In fact Toshiba stated that there will be TVs incorporating the CELL chip by 2009.
one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Sep-2007, 12:32   #2
Vitaly Vidmirov

Svezho pridanie, or in english: they said it already

Toshiba has announced that the mysterious CELL processor, set to be used in the Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) console, will be in all their TVs in 2006 as well.
...05 jan 2005

http://homeentertainment.engadget.co...-2006-and-more
Vitaly Vidmirov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Sep-2007, 13:46   #3
one
Unruly Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaly Vidmirov View Post
...05 jan 2005
The difference is they had SED (instead of OLED) in their roadmap at that time!
Old 02-Sep-2007, 18:33   #4
Darkon

Well shifty got his wish.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Sep-2007, 22:14   #5
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Not really. Promises often don't amount to much! I was supposed to have been able to buy a £300 720p SED TV by now, and Cell was supposed to out a while (two years!) ago. We're looking at what? Perhaps 6-8 months, maybe more, before they show Cell actually doing something in a CE device, and another year after that to buy them. Two years after that to buy them in Europe! And they're the leaders pushing Cell tech, which means other devices will be a long way coming. I guess TV tech is going to crawl along for a bit longer.

Have Toshiba contributed anything to the Cell development community software-wise? We've had a couple of demos, and the digital make-over one was excellent. Is anyone getting to see the code for that?
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2007, 01:47   #6
patsu
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
Have Toshiba contributed anything to the Cell development community software-wise? We've had a couple of demos, and the digital make-over one was excellent. Is anyone getting to see the code for that?
Yes. Toshiba contributed to the Cell Linux development (even until today). They call their Cell reference platform "Celleb".
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2008, 20:11   #8
Vitaly Vidmirov

Upscaler looks very good. I wonder however, how it will deal with noise / image compression artifacts.
Anyway I will definitely consider this one as my next TV.
My current TV is 1990 year 21" tube =))
Vitaly Vidmirov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2008, 22:30   #9
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

There's a video here. Doesn't show the quality of upscaling very well, but the little I could guess from the zoomed in pics, it's an effective algorithm of the sort the FBI have been using in movies for years to see faces reflected in someone's eye and to identify what 3 letters a blob or four grey pixels on the bottom corner of a briefcase is!
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jan-2008, 13:34   #10
one
Unruly Member

FWIW the article says it's particularly effective for letters. Image Super Resolution is applicable not only to SD->HD, but also to HD->HD. It uses 4-5 SPEs. For 48 SD MPEG streams / 8 HD MPEG streams playback, memory bandwidth and I/O are the actual bottleneck rather than Cell.

Since the timeframe matches with that of 45nm Cell BE, I guess power usage will be acceptable for TV by then. Maybe it's when PS3 Cells can be put onto CE goods.
Old 18-Jan-2008, 03:24   #11
patsu
Regular

... so they will use CBE instead of SpurEngine in their high end TV ?
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 30-Jan-2008, 01:21   #12
SPM

Hmmm I wonder how long it will take Sony to put a PS3 in a TV to give all these effects plus a bluray player, plus PVR, plus home computer/Internet PC, plus games.
SPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2008, 08:58   #13
Per B

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post
... so they will use CBE instead of SpurEngine in their high end TV ?
I also wonder this. If they use the full BE from PS3 for TV's and other consumer electronics, what will they use the SpureEngine for?
Per B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2008, 10:51   #14
patsu
Regular

At least one hi-end Toshiba Laptop model will use SpursEngine.

I am guessing they will also use SpursEngine for Toshiba HD TV. The CBE is only used for/by R&D.
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF