Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 03-Sep-2007, 04:32   #51
"Nerve-Damage"

Icon Idea IIRC

...Dreamcast Resident Evil Code: Veronica main characters were 5k-7k polygons each, there faces alone contained over 2k polygons.
"Nerve-Damage" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2007, 04:47   #52
Neb
Iron "BEAST" Man

This thread got me inspired to look more into some games.

Oblivion, male - 7004 vertices for the body alone and with full armor (no shield or sword, Elven set) - 15597 vertices

Goblin body - 7540 vertices
Bear - 4902
Dog - 4883

Last edited by Neb; 03-Sep-2007 at 04:56.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2007, 04:54   #53
"Nerve-Damage"

Default Star Wars Rogue Leader: Gamecube

Rogue Leader Chat

Quote:
Question: To satisfy all the forum spec and number adorers, how many millions of polygons does RL tend to push in a standard situation per second, and how long does it tend to vary? and has their been any performance increases since previous showings?

LucasArts/Factor 5: If we would start counting the polygons now the game wouldn't be done, but we estimate most scenes at 12-15 million polygons per second. The version being shown in Europe is quite a performance increase in the Hoth level compared to previous showings.
Old 03-Sep-2007, 05:10   #54
Lazy8s

Virtua Fighter polygon numbers were previously discussed on this forum.

Virtua Fighter 5
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=860210
Quote:
1 character = 40K polys, background = 100K - 300K (VF4: 12K and 50K)
Virtua Fighter 4
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=4451
Quote:
According to the latest issue of CG World (Japanese 3D graphics trade mag), the PS2 character models of VF4 are about half of the Naomi 2 version. For example, Jacky is made of 14,000 polygons in the Naomi 2 version, but in the PS2 version Jacky's model has about 7,000 polygons.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2007, 05:14   #55
"Nerve-Damage"

Default Mass Effect (Xbox 360)

Mass Effect Faqs

Quote:
Question: How many polygons are used per character?

Answer: Well, we can't give an exact number as some characters will have more polys than others based on things like their size, complexity, whether they have weapons or armor, and that sort of thing.

But to give a rough idea, I'll use Sheppard as an example. A model of Sheppard wearing armor and carrying weapons will be somewhere in the range of 20,000 to 25,000 polygons. This would change a bit based on his armor, whether he is carry a weapon, which weapon, etc, but it's a good rough idea. Hope this helps.
Old 03-Sep-2007, 08:34   #56
Laa-Yosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Nerve-Damage" View Post
To help achieve that goal, the game's graphics feature high polygon counts. The dragon and its rider alone have 150,000 polygons, while a single 16 by 16 kilometer scene is packed with 134 million polygons.
It certainly doesn't look like it's that many polygons in the game; maybe it's the number for the source models that'll undergo the LOD calculations...
Old 03-Sep-2007, 08:46   #57
Acert93
Artist formerly known as Acert93

A quote from EDGE on B3D about the PGR3 bridges:

Quote:
There is an article on PGR3 in this months EDGE.

The cars are composed of 40k polygons for the interior and 40k for the exterior. Brooklyn Bridge is 600k polygons and Manhattan Bridge 1 million polygons.

Bizzare are aiming for 60fps. They also mention the draw distance for one of the unnamed cities is 3km.

For reference one of the Tokyo tracks in MSR took up just 90k polygons in its entirety.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/archive/in...p/t-22107.html
"In games I don't like, there is no such thing as "tradeoffs," only "downgrades" or "lazy devs" or "bugs" or "design failures." Neither do tradeoffs exist in games I'm a rabid fan of, and just shut up if you're going to point them out." -- fearsomepirate
Acert93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2007, 08:54   #58
Fafalada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa Yosh
It certainly doesn't look like it's that many polygons in the game; maybe it's the number for the source models that'll undergo the LOD calculations...
You probably meant the characters, but as far as terrain goes:
130M for 16x16km gives you roughly 1.4Meters per polygon. Which is pretty great resolution for 256KM^2, but it won't exactly give in to scrutiny when on foot at human scale. Then again the game is mostly not played from that perspective.

I mentioned this in regards to techniques like megatexturing too, when you scale unique data to large worlds, sizes for any kind of real detail quickly become obscenely high.
Old 03-Sep-2007, 09:54   #59
Panajev2001a

Send a message via MSN to Panajev2001a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafalada View Post
You probably meant the characters, but as far as terrain goes:
130M for 16x16km gives you roughly 1.4Meters per polygon. Which is pretty great resolution for 256KM^2, but it won't exactly give in to scrutiny when on foot at human scale. Then again the game is mostly not played from that perspective.

I mentioned this in regards to techniques like megatexturing too, when you scale unique data to large worlds, sizes for any kind of real detail quickly become obscenely high.
The solution is to make MegaTextures' resolution even more obscene :P.
Old 03-Sep-2007, 11:14   #60
Laa-Yosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafalada View Post
You probably meant the characters
Yeah, that certainly doesn't look like a 150K polygon dragon...

Quote:
Texturing terrain (and enviroments) in CGI is one of the hardest tasks too, mostly because there's no room for compromises in quality. We usually resort to screen-projected matte paintings, sometimes on a per shot basis, because there really is no good solution....
Old 03-Sep-2007, 11:18   #61
Laa-Yosh

For 1 texel per centimeter, a 128K*128K texture gives you 1.3 * 1.3 km, so id probably has about 1 texel per inch or so which is 3.2 * 3.2 km. Still not that big for wondering around in a wasteland using a car... though if they can make the levels non-square, they can get more out of the megatexture.
Old 03-Sep-2007, 13:08   #62
Panajev2001a

Send a message via MSN to Panajev2001a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh View Post
For 1 texel per centimeter, a 128K*128K texture gives you 1.3 * 1.3 km, so id probably has about 1 texel per inch or so which is 3.2 * 3.2 km. Still not that big for wondering around in a wasteland using a car... though if they can make the levels non-square, they can get more out of the megatexture.
The interesting thing is that, at least according to what I got out of Carmack's presentation and Q&A session, 128K*128K is not the upper bound of what they CAN use, the limit (unless they still have some to-be-removed-one-day hard limits in the editor or in the creation tool) is only the size of the Mega Texture itself in the sense of having a suitably large storage medium.

256K * 256K ? Larger ? Sure at that point there are other questions you ask yourself... is it worth the time wasted to create it, author it, and the space used to store it ? It depends on what you are tying to achieve.

I'd be interesting to hear from id how much time would it take them to go from scratch and build a 256K * 256K Mega Texture (including all the time spent in the various tools until it reaches its final compressed form) though and how big it would be.
Old 03-Sep-2007, 15:41   #63
Brimstone
B3D Shockwave Rider

The Codemasters Neon engine powered Operation Flashpoint 2 might have hand grenades modeled at over 5,000 polygons.

Quote:
Finally, Wafer announced that Operation Flashpoint is going to have more than 50 highly-detailed weapons. In fact, he quickly showed us a grenade that was made up of more than 5,000 polygons. Of course, all this remains to be seen because we've yet to see the game running but considering the great level of polish Codemasters managed to pull off in DiRT using the Neon engine, we're interested to see how Dragon Rising turns out on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 late next year.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/815/815055p1.html

The visual fidelity is incredibly stunning for Operation Flashpoint 2.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/4...d9c1e7a9_o.jpg

www.shadowrunshow.com
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2007, 16:33   #64
"Nerve-Damage"

Default Some Mortal Kombat Faqs

Mortal Kombat 4 (Zeus Arcade Hardware)
Quote:
MK4 can output "1.2 million four-sided polygons per second"
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance (PS2 & Xbox)

Quote:
Gamespot recently had a MK Deadly Alliance Q&A session with the Midway team. Not many new details were released in the session, but a few of the more interesting ones are that there will be all new fatalities for the characters, not revisited fatalities from the past games. They also said that the polygon count will be between 7k and 10k per character. There was also mention of expanded gameplay modes, especially in single player mode.
Old 03-Sep-2007, 17:25   #65
DeadlyNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
HL2 - Cinematic Mod ~50k polys for Alyx ( ).
How many Polygons did they use to render her nipples? Or is just simple bump mapping?

I find it amazing that Leon has more polygons than most of the characters in Half Life 2! I mean, I thought the characters in HL2 looks better than RE4!

Does anyone have the stats for SSBM?

Also, any numbers for the more technically advanced Wii games (meaning non-PS2 ports)? I'm very curious about the characters in Red Steel, Mario Galaxy, and Brawl.

I recall reading from Epic's site that their characters in Unreal 3 are only made of 5000 polygons with specular and normal maps to give them the incredible amount of detail.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html...ogy/ue30.shtml
DeadlyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2007, 17:36   #66
Neb
Iron "BEAST" Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyNinja View Post
How many Polygons did they use to render her nipples? Or is just simple bump mapping?

I find it amazing that Leon has more polygons than most of the characters in Half Life 2! I mean, I thought the characters in HL2 looks better than RE4!
Ya it is all polygons, clothes, body, nipples ('giggles'... ) including teeths and tongue, and the hair is made of several sprites (as in so many other games)!

I could check it out in XSI or perhaps not.

About RE4, I wonder what the non key characters polygon count are since in most games they are lower than main character and key characters.
Old 03-Sep-2007, 17:56   #67
DeadlyNinja

I heard the regular enemies are made of around 5000 polygons. It was straight from Capcom's mouth. It was around the time when they were talking about porting the game to the PS2.

I wonder how many were used on the El Gigante creature as well. That sucker was huge.
DeadlyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2007, 20:53   #68
Cuthbert
Registered

Deathrow (SouthEnd Interactive / UbiSoft, Xbox)

Quote:
Highly detailed characters, modeled using more than 55 bones each for life-like movement, and up to 7,000 polygons each for a realistic character shape.
http://www.southend.se/games/deathrow/index.php

Quote:
Like the 64 Megs of unified memory that we can decide exactly where we want to use those Megs and allowing us to have 1024x1024 textures on the bodies of the characters and 512x512 on the faces. The hard drive allows us to stream the characters from it.
http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/...nteractive/p3/

Kingdom Under Fire : The Crusaders (Phantagram / Microsoft Game Studios, Xbox)

heroes (main characters): 10000 polygons
other characters: 3000 - 4000 polygons

http://www.kuftc.com/eng/Game/feature.asp

The canned Boss Game Studios game (Xbox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP View Post
This info is from the Xbox version.

Cars were 25000 polys (highest LOD), 4 textures/poly.
Base texture
Reflection map
a texture used to compute a fresnel term
Shadow map
Specular highlight (This was encoded in the alpha channel of the reflection map)

Most of the backgrounds were 2 or in some cases 3 textures/poly
I've measured peak in game polygon counts as high as 30M/sec.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=847
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Sep-2007, 23:37   #69
Iron Tiger

Send a message via ICQ to Iron Tiger Send a message via AIM to Iron Tiger Send a message via MSN to Iron Tiger

I think I'm most amazed that Mario in Super Mario Sunshine is only 1500 polys. That was the figure given for the highest LOD model in Super Mario 64! It's astounding how much better modeling got with skinning.
Old 06-Sep-2007, 01:32   #70
Quaz51

Gant bridge in GTASA - 16000 polygons LODs mesh included

Locust in UE3 demo - 5287 polygons (source model for normal map - 2M polygons)

http://upsilandre.free.fr/images/cha..._creation2.jpg
http://upsilandre.free.fr/images/cha..._creation3.jpg

Daxter evolution

Last edited by Quaz51; 06-Sep-2007 at 11:49.
Quaz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Sep-2007, 03:42   #71
Fafalada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh
For 1 texel per centimeter, a 128K*128K texture gives you 1.3 * 1.3 km, so id probably has about 1 texel per inch or so which is 3.2 * 3.2 km.
Thing is though, texel/inch resolution is not exactly perceived as high-res these days. And the PR was all about how we shouldn't use additional layers to create micro details.

But yea, the world likely isn't square, but on the other hand, it also isn't flat(or heightmapped terrain), so total surface area could be considerably larger then the bounding rectangle would suggest.

Anyway, back on topic, I guess I can add this to the mix:
DTRacer (PS2, 2005)
Cars :
Base mesh ~12k poly (max LOD)
Volume Shadow mesh 4-5k Vert (dynamic shadows are not stored as actual polygons, hence vertex count)
Stages:
~200k polys

IIRC Deano knows SH2 polycounts, maybe he can contribute that? I remember some high poly boss he mentioned once...
Old 06-Sep-2007, 04:30   #72
Megadrive1988

I dunno if anyone can find some data for this, but I always wanted to know how many polys were used in this offline rendered Samus model from Spaceworld 2000:

has to be more than the Samus models used in Metroid Prime 1 & 2 on Gamecube and even the just-released Prime 3 on Wii.
Megadrive1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Sep-2007, 10:04   #73
Capeta
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaz51 View Post
Locust in UE3 demo - 5287 polygones (source model for normal map - 2M polygones)
You are aware that the Locusts are characters in Gears of War right? BTW posting huge pictures are not allowed.

Last edited by Capeta; 06-Sep-2007 at 13:05.
Capeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Sep-2007, 10:27   #74
Laa-Yosh

Yeah, but the actual models used in the game look quite different from the version they've used for the first UE3 demonstration. Makes sense to differentiate between the two.
Old 06-Sep-2007, 12:19   #75
Capeta
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh View Post
Yeah, but the actual models used in the game look quite different from the version they've used for the first UE3 demonstration. Makes sense to differentiate between the two.
I don't think it makes any differnce since the human characters in GOW uses twice as many polys as that UE3 Locust. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual GOW Locust models are comprised of 5K polys same as the UE3 Locust demo. Whether they "look" the same isn't of concern.

Wretch - 10,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Boomer - 11,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Marcus - 15,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps

Last edited by Capeta; 06-Sep-2007 at 12:25.
Capeta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 million polygons