Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 15-Feb-2010, 21:18   #26
Tap In
Regular

also... exclusive new screens

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...l-a-noire.aspx
Tap In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2010, 23:02   #27
patsu
Regular

Need to see close ups !

On cursory look, Heavy Rain actually looks more interesting despite its everyday/routine scenes.
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2010, 00:12   #28
Tap In
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post
Ah, I think it could work in LA Noire's context. For other action-oriented games (e.g. U2 has platforming and a lot of weapon animations -- like dropping/lobing grenade in different postures and angles) to use the similar tech, they may need to do a lot more work.

yea, we'll see where they take this as the gameplay is also described as GTA IV-ish in the article so there is plenty of action mixed in with the investigating.
Old 16-Feb-2010, 00:21   #29
patsu
Regular

Would be cool if they experiment with motion sensing control schemes, especially if the gameplay has a lot of control and story options. It'd be a shame if it's just limited shooting, run/walk and death animations.

Is this really an open world game like GTA ?
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 16-Feb-2010, 01:18   #30
obonicus

It's the general problem of coverage of Rockstar games. They're very very good at self-promotion. I mean, they've got people pumped for Read Dead Redemption, meanwhile the Rockstar Wives story has insiders saying it's a huge mess.
obonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2010, 01:21   #31
Laa-Yosh

Yeah, but that game does look very good and has the western mood nailed down almost perfectly, hence people's interest in it. IMHO.
Old 16-Feb-2010, 01:25   #32
obonicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh View Post
Yeah, but that game does look very good and has the western mood nailed down almost perfectly, hence people's interest in it. IMHO.
Oh, sure. I was really surprised when people on Gamasutra started talking about what a wreck the project was, I in fact guessed a completely wrong project in the QoL thread. But all I know about is by handfuls of media released by R* and journalist impressions.
obonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2010, 01:39   #33
Tap In
Regular

Quote:

Is this really an open world game like GTA ?
that's what they said... GTA -ish open world but with a much more rigid main story where you follow the leads as a cop
Old 16-Feb-2010, 01:51   #34
patsu
Regular

... then for me, it's more interesting to see how much they have improved since GTA4.
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 16-Feb-2010, 03:09   #35
Tap In
Regular

Quote:
... then for me, it's more interesting to see how much they have improved since GTA4.
i think the real improvement will be seen in Red Dead Redemption.
Old 16-Feb-2010, 14:23   #36
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

Animation technology talk moved here.

Tolerance for internet moronism is exhausted. Anyone talking about people's attitudes in the Console fora, rather than games and technology, will feel my wrath. Read the FAQ to remind yourself how to behave and avoid unsightly incidents.
Shifty Geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2010, 14:39   #37
NathansFortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonicus View Post
Oh, sure. I was really surprised when people on Gamasutra started talking about what a wreck the project was, I in fact guessed a completely wrong project in the QoL thread. But all I know about is by handfuls of media released by R* and journalist impressions.
Well since it started in 2003 as a launch title for PS3 I think Gamasutra have a point. Also the amount of money that has been pumped into this project is incredible, especially considering it is a new IP...
NathansFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2010, 04:35   #38
Tap In
Regular

trailer #1 (PS3/360)

Old 19-Feb-2010, 07:59   #39
Laa-Yosh

Isn't that several years old by now, and CG anyway?
Old 20-Feb-2010, 23:39   #40
Tap In
Regular

Quote:
Isn't that several years old by now, and CG anyway?
woops
Old 04-Jun-2010, 00:36   #41
Laa-Yosh

New screens at Gamersyde...
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_l_a_no...s-9389_en.html
Old 11-Nov-2010, 17:03   #42
Ruskie

New trailer just arrived!Great facial animations,best i have seen to date

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9IH8fWOwS4
Ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Nov-2010, 17:24   #43
Laa-Yosh

Yes, the facial animation is simply unprecedented, very very good job there!

It looks like they've done a complete capture for color and normal maps for a lot of facial expressions, maybe even for all the spoken lines. Kinda like they project a video and a normal map of someone talking onto the geometry.

Unfortunately the skin shading is nonexistent (color map, normal map and a simple Phong highlight, seems like not even a specular intensity or specular color map)
And the lighting is simply terrible, looks like 80% constant ambient and 20% for a single directional light. There doesn't seem to be any shadows at all, not even when someone's inside a room or a car or stands under a street light.

Edit: I think it's the hardware that's not enough for the entire tech and a good quality renderer, so maybe we'll see something truly awesome on the next gen consoles from this facial capture system.
Old 11-Nov-2010, 17:40   #44
PhilB

Looks like they're going for LA confidential the game. Oh and god some of that voice acting was terrible... And yeah I agree the lighting looks kind of flat even with ssao.
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Nov-2010, 18:11   #46
nightshade
Interwebz Hijacker !

The cloth texture look as if they're from a game released in 2006.
Old 11-Nov-2010, 18:21   #47
patsu
Regular

Quote:
Yes, the facial animation is simply unprecedented, very very good job there!
I concur !
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 11-Nov-2010, 18:42   #48
Laa-Yosh

And what about the rest of my opinion?

Seriously, I can't understand this imbalance in their features, all the extra effort spent on the facial system is almost completely negated by the lack of attention for other visual elements...
Old 11-Nov-2010, 18:44   #49
patsu
Regular

Can't see them in the video. I can only tell the facial expression is superbly done.
-- 3rdamention@GAF
Old 11-Nov-2010, 18:52   #50
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

The lip syncing is superb! Best real-time virtual acting I've ever seen by a long chalk. Do we know if this is hard-baked from the English capture, or can they use alternative soundtracks and match up to those? Would be truly awesome if they could. Or if it is more dynamic and can be influence by the player, such as the player affecting an optional change of mood in an NPC.

As for the rest, my first impression was that they were going for a stylised look. Admittedly if they are, it's a very muted style! In the opening sections of the vid I felt the flat lighting was deliberate, although I was less comfortable with this opinion in later clips.

Tolerance for internet moronism is exhausted. Anyone talking about people's attitudes in the Console fora, rather than games and technology, will feel my wrath. Read the FAQ to remind yourself how to behave and avoid unsightly incidents.
Shifty Geezer is online now   Reply With Quote