Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Closed Thread
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:10   #17901
Proelite

The AMD China guy is completely a fraud. The TDP of a console GPU isn't going to correspond to a part that's on the market.
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:15   #17902
nunomoreira

he was probably referring to cus...
why canīt he say more, itīs not like he's gonna break is Nda again

Gnc is a very scalable architecture and being durango so customized i doubt you could say the gpu is based on anything as much as comparable to.
donīt really think he is that a reliable source.
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:18   #17903
N2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proelite View Post
The AMD China guy is completely a fraud. The TDP of a console GPU isn't going to correspond to a part that's on the market.
What?0.1W GPU for Durango?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunomoreira View Post
he was probably referring to cus...
why canīt he say more, itīs not like he's gonna break is Nda again

Gnc is a very scalable architecture and being durango so customized i doubt you could say the gpu is based on anything as much as comparable to.
donīt really think he is that a reliable source.
That maybe my bad translate,maybe you can try to use google translate or something
http://club.tgfcer.com/thread-6593085-13-1.html
(哪个层次的显卡 maybe means "which series GPU")
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:24   #17904
Exophase

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2O View Post
What?0.1W GPU for Durango?
If you don't want something bigger and louder than the first PS3 and XBox 360 then consider 200W an upper limit for the entire system, which likely leaves less than 150W for the GPU even if it's given a very favorable chunk of that balance.
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:29   #17905
Helmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anexanhume View Post
Die size and TDP could both hinder that plan. A 7870 binned for 7970M is lower power than a normal 7870. They shave off 30W by reducing clocks and binning.
Isn't the 7970M 75 Watts?

EDIT: Probably not. Guess Wikipedia is wrong, who'd imagined that? >.< :P
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:31   #17906
N2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
If you don't want something bigger and louder than the first PS3 and XBox 360 then consider 200W an upper limit for the entire system, which likely leaves less than 150W for the GPU even if it's given a very favorable chunk of that balance.
Wait when i said 150W+ GPU?
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:39   #17907
Bagel seed

I think that whole tgfcer board is full of joke characters having fun with us. It's sort of like linking gamespot forum posts as sources now.

Not a confirmed dev = no believe.
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:43   #17908
N2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagel seed View Post
I think that whole tgfcer board is full of joke characters having fun with us. It's sort of like linking gamespot forum posts as sources now.

Not a confirmed dev = no believe.
That will be a some crazy plan you know
A chinese tech forum members make full of joke to lure neogaf insiders leak something new

But i think #1 AMD China guy really working for AMD(not sure #2),since some other members already said that(well,but like what you said,maybe everyone in TGFC are trolls)
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:49   #17909
bitsandbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
70-80 watts is the upper limit IMO for the GPU. My best guess for how the launch PS3 broke down:

GPU= ~70W
CPU= ~50W
Everything else ~40-50W (inc PS2 BC)
Assume 80% PSU efficiency

Total ~200-210 power draw.

I think PS4 will draw around 150W or lower. Though it depends how much Sony customise and/or dedicate to non-gaming stuff.
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:54   #17910
N2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
Isn't the 7970M 75 Watts?

EDIT: Probably not. Guess Wikipedia is wrong, who'd imagined that? >.< :P
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...M.77110.0.html
Old 09-Jan-2013, 23:58   #17911
Bagel seed

Quote:
That will be a some crazy plan you know
A chinese tech forum members make full of joke to lure neogaf insiders leak something new
Exactly!

Quote:
But i think #1 AMD China guy really working for AMD(not sure #2),since some other members already said that(well,but like what you said,maybe everyone in TGFC are trolls)
I think that guy is just a huge MS fan, judging from his Bill Gates avatar
Old 10-Jan-2013, 00:15   #17912
Exophase

Quote:
Wait when i said 150W+ GPU?
I never said you did. You seemed to be asking what maximum power consumption makes sense..
Old 10-Jan-2013, 00:21   #17913
Sonic

Wait. That SEGA and Sony rumor regarding same hardware......I believe that is entirely plausible. SEGA has used console hardware in the past and I don't see a reason not to use Sony's machine for the arcade. It will be cheap enough (in terms of arcade pricing) and have powerful enough hardware to make awesome visuals. It allows SEGA to have direct access to Sony's new console hardware and make for effortless porting. And with having the knowledge that comes with both arcade and home console markets will allow the company to learn the hardware faster. Then again the same advantages would be had if they used MS's console. But I would think Sony''s machine would be the basis for the new arcade hardware given this being the 3rd time I've heard this rumor.

Last edited by Sonic; 10-Jan-2013 at 00:46.
Old 10-Jan-2013, 00:28   #17914
Rangers
Regular

OK, about the three blocks of custom external hardware to assist in gaming tasks, I've realized/found out these are in Durango at large, not necessarily the GPU. They could be CPU related or anything I guess.

Only it's known that one of the blocks is in the GPU.

So I dont know, maybe an audio DSP for one? A section of vector units to assist the CPU's? The GPU block could just be the ESRAM/related goodies?
Old 10-Jan-2013, 00:34   #17915
N2O

It's AI
Old 10-Jan-2013, 00:47   #17916
anexanhume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
OK, about the three blocks of custom external hardware to assist in gaming tasks, I've realized/found out these are in Durango at large, not necessarily the GPU. They could be CPU related or anything I guess.

So I dont know, maybe an audio DSP for one? A section of vector units to assist the CPU's? The GPU block could just be the ESRAM/related goodies?
DSP dedicated to Kinect and Kinect 2.0 features?
Old 10-Jan-2013, 00:52   #17917
(((interference)))

Quote:
Okay, a reliable rumor is that Durango GPU has at least 3 sections of custom external hardware to help in gaming tasks. One said to be inside the GPU, and that "you can guess some of them easily" or something like that. Well, I cant, lol.

Fascinating! Special sauce seems to be very real.

Edit: One of the "sections of external hardware" could be the ESRAM I suppose.

Edit2: Could another be a tesselation add on or something?
I'm guessing an audio DSP, a video encoder (for the DVR functionality) and maybe the ESRAM is the custom block in the GPU.
But who knows what else could be in there, maybe a tesellation unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
What I find odd is that some rumors peg the neXtBox as the more powerful kit while other say the PS4 will be more powerful. BTW, aren't the game devs that are in the know indicating that the neXtBox will be more powerful than the PS4?
Most of the rumours indicate Durango could be more powerful overall, but it has a weaker GPU than Orbis and so people like bgassassin use this to contest that Durango is more powerful (against lherre).

Basically the rumours tie in well with the 720 having more memory and cores than PS4 but a possibly weaker on paper GPU.

Last edited by (((interference))); 10-Jan-2013 at 00:58.
Old 10-Jan-2013, 00:58   #17918
onQ

Quote:
Okay, a reliable rumor is that Durango GPU has at least 3 sections of custom external hardware to help in gaming tasks. One said to be inside the GPU, and that "you can guess some of them easily" or something like that. Well, I cant, lol.

Fascinating! Special sauce seems to be very real.

Edit: One of the "sections of external hardware" could be the ESRAM I suppose.

Edit2: Could another be a tesselation add on or something?
Reminds me of when I was talking about using things like FPGA & DSP to help the CPU & GPU with certain tasks.
Old 10-Jan-2013, 00:59   #17919
bkilian

Last edited by bkilian; 20-Jan-2013 at 00:04.
Old 10-Jan-2013, 01:00   #17920
XpiderMX

Quote:

A PPU xD

Quote:
a video encoder (for the DVR functionality)
It is not gaming related.
Old 10-Jan-2013, 01:02   #17921
(((interference)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuhanyou View Post
From Aegis in response:

Everything I've heard from reliable sources makes your series of guesses, particularly about total teraflops, impossible. Save for the DDR3 guess, which I'm worried might be true. Which would be incredibly stupid.
I think aegies doesn't really know that much when it comes to tech, some of his posts on the GAF thread seemed to showt he can't ascertain whether the AMD China rumours tie in with his own specs.
Eg:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=556

Though he is talking about total teraflops, which is CPU+GPU flops, which might well put Durango above 2TF.

Any estimates on the FLOPS of the 8 1.6GHz Jaguar cores?
Old 10-Jan-2013, 01:08   #17922
(((interference)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoIt View Post
Someone on neogaf is claiming that the "final" flop number is 1.3 TF (10 CUs@1Ghz).
That's interesting, who's claiming that and what's his post history?

Is 1Ghz is clocked a bit high for a console? I would think a few more CUs at a lower clock
Old 10-Jan-2013, 01:11   #17923
N2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((interference))) View Post
That's interesting, who's claiming that and what's his post history?
specialguy aka Rangers,so don't need to take seriously about that
Old 10-Jan-2013, 01:14   #17924
Bagel seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post
I can imagine what three blocks they're talking about, and at least two of them will help with graphics, although one is more general purpose. I have a special fondness for the third, since I spent many hours coming to terms with it's idiosyncracies.
I bet it's an AWE64. (8x8!)
Old 10-Jan-2013, 01:15   #17925
Quaz51

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((interference))) View Post
Any estimates on the FLOPS of the 8 1.6GHz Jaguar cores?
8 Jaguar cores 1.6Ghz = 1 CU 800mhz = 102.8Gflops

Closed Thread

Tags
$599, 1 million troops, 1.21 gigawatts, blast processing v2.0, deal with it, don't cry for me acertina, duct tape, finfets everywhere, flops capacitor, george foreman, giant enemy crabs, i want to believe, impossibru, iphone disappear acert, it belongs in a museum, liquid cooling, little big grumpy mod, ludicrous speed, microsoft-sony.com, noooooooooooooooooooooooo, nothing but bits, over 9000, subscriptions everywhere, unlimited power