Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Closed Thread
Old 06-May-2012, 17:01   #26
Deadmeat
Naughty Boy!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
BRD drive is just an optical drive technology, like a DVD drive in a platform that can't play DVDs (Wii).
What's in Wii is not a DVD drive. Sure it burrows DVD drive's OPU mechanism, but encoding/decoding is different, spins in a different direction, etc and Nintendo doesn't pay DVD royalty.

Quote:
The reasons for choosing BRD in XB3, even without film playback, are cheap, mass produced, mass storage.
Blu-Ray drive hardware cost maybe reasonable, but the royalty is not. Thus just change the firmware of a "Blu-Ray" drive and blah, you have a proprietary "non-Blu-Ray" drive like Nintendo Wii U's drive and can skip on the royalty payment.

Quote:
By buying an application that has the necessary licenses and/or protocols and/or software layers. Do you honestly believe that if MS include a BRD drive in XB3 without movie playback as standard, that they are legally prevented from offering a purchasable application or kit that enables BRD playback exactly like they did on XB?
Microsoft is banned from offering one(Look at the Media Center Edition), only a 3rd party solution is possible.

But it doesn't matter, Microsoft has no intention of enabling Blu-Ray movie playback on any of its platforms and Microsoft's objective is to migrate everyone to streaming.

Quote:
1) If not allowed to add BRD playback as standard, it should be possible to add BRD playback (and value) via as a download or upgrade kit
This requires two things.

1. Microsoft adding the Blu-Ray drive in Xbox 3 and paying the Blu-Ray drive royalty, big no no.
2. A 3rd party vendor selling a Blu-Ray player app for like $50.

Quote:
that doesn't preclude the use of a BRD drive, exactly the same as Wii not playing DVD movies still uses a DVD drive
Wii does not have a DVD drive. Wii's drive is modified enough to avoid DVD royalty payment(Ditto for the Wii U's drive), and Microsoft will go down the same path if it decides to stick an optical drive.
__________________
"I can't imagine how you will actually program it" - Tim Sweeney, Epic.

"I just don't see that Cell is revolutionary, except in its marketing impact," - Peter Glaskowsky - Chief Editor, Microprocessor Report
Deadmeat is offline  
Old 06-May-2012, 17:19   #27
BRiT
...
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 5,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat View Post
Microsoft is banned from offering one(Look at the Media Center Edition), only a 3rd party solution is possible.
Citation needed. Until then you're FUDing.

MS strictly does that because of license costs and their own self-serving political outlook. Have a look at how they plan on doing Media Center with Windows 8 for that.
__________________
I just voted for 'Media Extender' - what do you think? https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...media-extender
IBSL: 2835, 6541, 8531, 9299, 86985, 87130 | FBSL: 7221, 9255, 15892, 20484, 89453
BRiT is offline  
Old 06-May-2012, 17:25   #28
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Under my bridge
Posts: 30,280
Default

Hmmm. With your definitions, you'd sort of have a point. However, I regard Wii's drive as a DVD drive on account of it being software modifiable to read DVDs. There isn't anything different in the way the thing is built that makes it not a DVD player. Likewise, taking a BRD drive and tweaking it to have a different read structure for game discs still makes it a BRD drive by my reckoning. Thus if the optical drive in XB3 is BRD based, I'd call that a BRD drive. If you wouldn't, then there's your argument there that Ms won't use a BRD drive, but then a 3rd party being able to sell an app that plays movies would render your argument moot.
__________________
Shifty Geezer
...
Flashing Samsung mobile firmwares. Know anything about this? Then please advise me at -
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is offline  
Old 06-May-2012, 17:28   #29
-tkf-
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat View Post
What's in Wii is not a DVD drive. Sure it burrows DVD drive's OPU mechanism, but encoding/decoding is different, spins in a different direction, etc and Nintendo doesn't pay DVD royalty.


Blu-Ray drive hardware cost maybe reasonable, but the royalty is not. Thus just change the firmware of a "Blu-Ray" drive and blah, you have a proprietary "non-Blu-Ray" drive like Nintendo Wii U's drive and can skip on the royalty payment.


Microsoft is banned from offering one(Look at the Media Center Edition), only a 3rd party solution is possible.

But it doesn't matter, Microsoft has no intention of enabling Blu-Ray movie playback on any of its platforms and Microsoft's objective is to migrate everyone to streaming.


This requires two things.

1. Microsoft adding the Blu-Ray drive in Xbox 3 and paying the Blu-Ray drive royalty, big no no.
2. A 3rd party vendor selling a Blu-Ray player app for like $50.


Wii does not have a DVD drive. Wii's drive is modified enough to avoid DVD royalty payment(Ditto for the Wii U's drive), and Microsoft will go down the same path if it decides to stick an optical drive.
So you are stepping back from the fire you set and agree that the java case has absolutely nothing to do with supporting Blu-Ray Movies on a Microsoft platform?

If those that license Blu-Ray (for movie playback, weird how that got important to point out) would have to license every little tidbit that makes up the Blu-Ray standard, Blu-Ray would be dead in the water. The Java part is just one small fragment of it all. Amazing your argument got so far. I hope you bring some hefty evidence to this thread or i would call it an elaborate troll.
__________________
Batteries NOT included with the XBOX One Controllers: http://techland.time.com/2013/07/29/...ore-expensive/
2nd hand market talk here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59311

Last edited by -tkf-; 06-May-2012 at 18:37.
-tkf- is offline  
Old 07-May-2012, 05:20   #30
sunscar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 343
Default

All due respect, but his are always elaborate trolls. That's why several forums have banned him, his IP, and permutations of his screen name. He's been at it around a decade, ranging from neogaf to opaages to psinext/e-empire and here. He's always had a hardline anti-sony bent that's the cornerstone of his arguments and he typically can't see beyond it. It's strange to see him still pull an audience though.
sunscar is offline  
Old 07-May-2012, 18:00   #31
DeadmeatGA
Naughty Boy!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
Hmmm. However, I regard Wii's drive as a DVD drive on account of it being software modifiable to read DVDs.
But it's not a DVD drive. Does it read a DVD? No. Can a DVD drive read Wii disc? No.

Quote:
Likewise, taking a BRD drive and tweaking it to have a different read structure for game discs still makes it a BRD drive by my reckoning.
Yet the sad drive cannot read Blu-Ray discs, and vise versa.

Quote:
Thus if the optical drive in XB3 is BRD based, I'd call that a BRD drive.
Test you hypothesis by sticking a Blu-Ray disc into such a drive.

Quote:
but then a 3rd party being able to sell an app that plays movies would render your argument moot.
And why would Microsoft pay $20 or so in royalty so that some 3rd parties can sell $50 apps? How does that make Xbox 3 competitive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -tkf- View Post
So you are stepping back from the fire you set and agree that the java case has absolutely nothing to do with supporting Blu-Ray Movies on a Microsoft platform?
I stand by argument that Microsoft is legally banned from developing Java run-times per the terms of 2001 settlement.

Paying $20 in Blu-Ray royalty to have the ability for some 3rd party to sell $50 playback software doesn't make financial sense, thus Microsoft like Nintendo will go with a proprietary drive format if they decided to stick with an optical drive solution.
__________________
"I can't imagine how you will actually program it" - Tim Sweeney, Epic.

"I just don't see that Cell is revolutionary, except in its marketing impact," - Peter Glaskowsky - Chief Editor, Microprocessor Report
DeadmeatGA is offline  
Old 07-May-2012, 18:04   #32
DeadmeatGA
Naughty Boy!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscar View Post
He's always had a hardline anti-sony bent that's the cornerstone of his arguments and he typically can't see beyond it. It's strange to see him still pull an audience though.
I am not against the PSX4. In fact, Hirai made a right decision regarding its position as a developer-friendly off the shelf architecture designed to a specific cost target, the first "sane" manager of Sony's console business. My criticism on the PSX2 and PSX3 stem from their "insane" architectures that tortured developers.

Although I am afraid Hirai came in too late to salvage SCEI's business now, I do wish the best for him. Having a Microsoft monopoly does not make the console business better, we always need a two-horse race.
__________________
"I can't imagine how you will actually program it" - Tim Sweeney, Epic.

"I just don't see that Cell is revolutionary, except in its marketing impact," - Peter Glaskowsky - Chief Editor, Microprocessor Report
DeadmeatGA is offline  
Old 07-May-2012, 18:35   #33
-tkf-
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmeatGA View Post
But it's not a DVD drive. Does it read a DVD? No. Can a DVD drive read Wii disc? No.

Yet the sad drive cannot read Blu-Ray discs, and vise versa.

Test you hypothesis by sticking a Blu-Ray disc into such a drive.

And why would Microsoft pay $20 or so in royalty so that some 3rd parties can sell $50 apps? How does that make Xbox 3 competitive?
You are good at making up your own rules and standards. How about getting back to earth and align with the rest of us. Makes the discussion a hell of a lot better.

If a DVD or a Blu-Ray production line can stamp the discs it's ok to call it a DVD or a Blu-Ray disc. Just because the copy protected CD's really isn't living up to the Redbook format, we still call them CD's.
And just because the disc structure is different the under lining technology is the same as on DVD or Blu-Ray. Same capacity, same production lines, same laser tech, same drives, same same..

And afaik the Wii was hacked and was able to play DVD Movies, so what gives?

Quote:
I stand by argument that Microsoft is legally banned from developing Java run-times per the terms of 2001 settlement.
Show us the proof, there clearly must be something that you are able to show us, something that makes it clear that even though the technology is already licensed by the Blu-Ray Association Microsoft wont be able to use it.
Quote:
Paying $20 in Blu-Ray royalty to have the ability for some 3rd party to sell $50 playback software doesn't make financial sense, thus Microsoft like Nintendo will go with a proprietary drive format if they decided to stick with an optical drive solution.
Completely different argument, which have been covered endlessly before, just make it an option, and show me a $50 dollar player that will be able to compete on speed with a next gen console.
__________________
Batteries NOT included with the XBOX One Controllers: http://techland.time.com/2013/07/29/...ore-expensive/
2nd hand market talk here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59311
-tkf- is offline  
Old 07-May-2012, 19:19   #34
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Under my bridge
Posts: 30,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmeatGA View Post
But it's not a DVD drive. Does it read a DVD? No. Can a DVD drive read Wii disc? No.
You're banned and have no voice here and I won't reply to futher dummy account posts, but Wii can read a DVD with a software download (homebrew running MPlayer Wii). Ergo its a DVD drive.
__________________
Shifty Geezer
...
Flashing Samsung mobile firmwares. Know anything about this? Then please advise me at -
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is offline  
Old 07-May-2012, 19:20   #35
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Under my bridge
Posts: 30,280
Default

Thread locked on account of the troll being removed from the discussion so that we don't need waste our virtual breaths trying to reason against FUD.
__________________
Shifty Geezer
...
Flashing Samsung mobile firmwares. Know anything about this? Then please advise me at -
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is offline  

Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.