Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 05-May-2012, 13:27   #2876
Daozang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
Speaking of Skyrim, last night I tweaked the ugrids, changing the default variable of 5 to 11. The draw distance is awesome, now. You can see pretty far. I also installed a nice ENB shader mod. I need to post screens of this.
Wow!
I went from 5 to 9, and then back to 7 ... What's your specs???
My game is starting to crawl in places...
I have a defunct raid 1 for my windows drive... I think that is the problem. Since one of my disks went offline I'm having all sorts of problems.

I also came across this mod, and thought of Silent_Buddha and his quest for fantasy simulation, so I'll post it here
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10843
Hope you like it!

Last edited by Daozang; 05-May-2012 at 13:45.
Daozang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-May-2012, 19:27   #2877
trinibwoy
Meh

Just finished off the ME2 DLC. Getting into chapter 3 of the Witcher now. Next up is Uncharted 3 (PS3) then LA Noire (PC).
Old 05-May-2012, 20:38   #2878
John Reynolds
Ecce homo

Send a message via MSN to John Reynolds

The Company of Heroes 2 announcement by Relic has me considering reinstalling the original and playing through its single-player campaign next week. Should hold me over until the 15th.
Voodoo 1 Voodoo 2 SLI Voodoo 3 3000 Voodoo 5 GeForce 3 Ti200 GeForce 4 Ti4400 Radeon 9700 Pro Radeon 9800 Pro GeForce 6800 GT Radeon X1800 XT Radeon X1900 XT Radeon X1950 XTX GeForce 8800 GTX Radeon HD 4870 GeForce GTX 285 Radeon 5870 Geforce GTX 470 Geforce GTX 570 Geforce GTX 670 GeForce GTX 770
John Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-May-2012, 21:22   #2879
Lightman

Last Remnant and BF3.
I'm not that much excited by Last Remnant so far but game is interesting enough for me to keep playing it. I'm more Witcher / Mass Effect / Elder Scroll/Dungeon Master RPG than jRPG fan it seems.
Lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-May-2012, 22:06   #2880
Billy Idol

Finished bf3 sp campaign for the second time...i like!
Old 06-May-2012, 08:29   #2881
poopypoo

cool, CoH was the only of those recent relic games that realy felt spevial to me. looking forward to it
poopypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-May-2012, 09:49   #2882
I.S.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodéric View Post
Yes that was disturbing to me too, and the Castanic dressing code & animations aren't pleasing me either...
*looks them up*

OH CHRIST
I.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-May-2012, 19:54   #2883
joker454

Bought Velvet Assasin on a whim, it's just $5 on steam. I'm liking it a lot so far inspite of what reviews say, pretty cool game. It reminds me of Thief in some ways, but a nazi germany version. You definitely have to proceed with caution, going all gang busters usually results in your death. Looks pretty decent as well.
joker454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-May-2012, 14:45   #2884
Dresden
Celebrating Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daozang View Post
Wow!
I went from 5 to 9, and then back to 7 ... What's your specs???
My game is starting to crawl in places...
I have a defunct raid 1 for my windows drive... I think that is the problem. Since one of my disks went offline I'm having all sorts of problems.

I also came across this mod, and thought of Silent_Buddha and his quest for fantasy simulation, so I'll post it here
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10843
Hope you like it!
i7 2600K @ 3.4 ghz (factory speed)
2x GTX 580's SLI
16 GB RAM

I actually had to return the value to the default variable. Initially, it ran perfect, with almost no FPS loss whatsoever, until one day I began encountering an unstable frame rate. Tweaking the ugrids makes the game become completely unstable, I read a lot of people encountered lockups and CTD's at 11. So, I'm back to 5. It kinda sucks, after seeing the immense draw distance then returning to 5, but I'm fine with it

Someone mentioned Limbo earlier. I bought it last night on Steam and it's phenomenal. It has this really cool, bleak art direction, but it's really creative. I'm really digging it. So is my girlfriend who was drawn to watching me play it. I'm trying to find new ways to kill time until Diablo 3 comes out. I have my CE pre-ordered from GameStop and I'm gonna swing by after work and pick it up. At which point, when I actually leave my room is in question.
Old 10-May-2012, 21:27   #2885
I.S.T.

I'm about to start playing FO1... And I figure everybody here but me has, so I have some questions.

1. Is it worth it to raise science and Repair?

2. Does Outdoorsman just control/deal with the random encounters?
I.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-May-2012, 21:55   #2886
jaredpace

Borderlands 1 Co-op

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5o1TcIrFg

Borderlands 2 trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvIh7cwmuDc
jaredpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2012, 19:47   #2887
AlNets
A bit netty

Picked up Portal 2. I quite like the SP story so far.
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2012, 02:00   #2888
Rodéric
a.k.a. Ingenu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
Have the predictable loading driven you mad yet ?
Old 12-May-2012, 02:15   #2889
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
I very much enjoyed that When you get to the later levels, be sure to destroy Wheatley's screens.
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2012, 19:27   #2890
Davros
Darlek ******

Searching the local charity shop the Gaming Gods directed me towards 6 holy silver discs, what goodness could they contain ? Bartering with the shop keeper secured these discs for a mere 2 coins of the realm.
Researching in the archives unveiled that they were Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare (which wouldn't install with zone alarm running)
and Diablo 2. After installing and patching further research uncovered a resolution mod, but it only works with version 1.2 so I have to uninstall then patch only to 1.2
I did manage to restore hardware sound and eax thanks to creative alchemy

The path to enlightenment is never easy....
Old 13-May-2012, 01:10   #2891
pjbliverpool
B3D Scallywag

Send a message via MSN to pjbliverpool

Playing Alan Wake atm but just bought Command & Conquer 4 and Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition for £16 total. God damn I love PC gaming. C&C4 will give me hours upon hours of solo fun while SF4 will be a great social game to play on the TV. And all for the price of a curry!

8086 8Mhz -> Pentium 90 -> K6-2 233Mhz -> Athlon 'Thunderbird' 1Ghz -> AthlonXP 2400+ 2Ghz -> Core2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz -> Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
pjbliverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 09:51   #2892
Rootax

I heard C&C4 sucks big time ?

I'm still playing Eve Online, C&C: Zero Hour (yes...), a little bit of BF3... I finished ME3 some weeks ago. I've RE5 to play but I can't find the motivation yet.
Old 13-May-2012, 10:06   #2893
pjbliverpool
B3D Scallywag

Send a message via MSN to pjbliverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootax View Post
I heard C&C4 sucks big time ?
Yeah Ive read the same thing. It was only a fiver though so I figured I may as well give it a shot since ive been in an rts mood lately and c&c was always one of my favourites.

8086 8Mhz -> Pentium 90 -> K6-2 233Mhz -> Athlon 'Thunderbird' 1Ghz -> AthlonXP 2400+ 2Ghz -> Core2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz -> Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
pjbliverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-May-2012, 06:38   #2894
Mobius1aic
Quo vadis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Searching the local charity shop the Gaming Gods directed me towards 6 holy silver discs, what goodness could they contain ? Bartering with the shop keeper secured these discs for a mere 2 coins of the realm.
Researching in the archives unveiled that they were Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare (which wouldn't install with zone alarm running)
and Diablo 2. After installing and patching further research uncovered a resolution mod, but it only works with version 1.2 so I have to uninstall then patch only to 1.2
I did manage to restore hardware sound and eax thanks to creative alchemy

The path to enlightenment is never easy....
Your words are always inspiring. It's too bad I'm in one of those "don't really care about playing games" moods as of late.
Mobius1aic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-May-2012, 01:11   #2895
Daozang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
i7 2600K @ 3.4 ghz (factory speed)
2x GTX 580's SLI
16 GB RAM

I actually had to return the value to the default variable. Initially, it ran perfect, with almost no FPS loss whatsoever, until one day I began encountering an unstable frame rate. Tweaking the ugrids makes the game become completely unstable, I read a lot of people encountered lockups and CTD's at 11. So, I'm back to 5. It kinda sucks, after seeing the immense draw distance then returning to 5, but I'm fine with it
I'm about half spec wise as you are
i7 @ 3.2
1 GTX580
6 GB ram

I'm having constant CTDs... But it must be one of my mods acting up. Problem is I don't have time to play, let alone troubleshoot these days...
Back in the days of Morrowind, I had all the time in the world to troubleshoot my mods, (and occasionally play a bit).
Old 05-Jun-2012, 00:03   #2896
homerdog
hardly a Senior Member

I tried the DiRT Showdown demo on Steam. Whoa they really went a different direction with that franchise... DiRT 1 is one of my favorite games... Showdown, not so much. I was disappointed with the dearth of Rally events in DiRT 2 so I skipped dirt 3. Showdown actually has no Rally at all as far as I can tell. It's mostly fancy config and loading screens with loud dubstep playing and the announcer dude telling you how cool you are.
Releasing a game in 2010 without AA is a completely foreign concept to me. If the technique you're using makes it impossible to use AA then you're using the wrong techniques. As simple as that. Releasing a PC game without AA options is OK only if that means you can only have it enabled
-Humus
homerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Jun-2012, 01:39   #2897
Albuquerque
Red-headed step child

Been moving between apartments, so the "Big Rig" has been packaged up along with my nice U2711 monitor So the laptop (i5-520 and AMD 5650m) has been used as a gaming rig during the gaps between lugging crap up and down the stairs and packing followed by unpacking of boxes.

Portal 2 is what I've been playing, and I really like it. The first handful of levels seemed a bit less "crazy" than some of the original Portal maps -- less acrobatic is probably my most apt description. I was starting to wonder where the story was going, but now I'm getting it. I might be less enamored with the levels when compared to Portal 1, but I'm loving the story (at least, so far...)
Get some supplies <...> Within the next couple of months, you'll need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ 6/9 View Post
And riots are about to begin too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_8/5 View Post
food shortages and huge price jumps I predicted recently are becoming very real now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ View Post
If it turns out I was wrong, I'll admit being stupid
Albuquerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Jun-2012, 10:47   #2898
Rodéric
a.k.a. Ingenu

I'm playing nothing, everything tastes meh since I played Guild Wars 2 !
I want to play Guild Wars 2 every day !
Old 05-Jun-2012, 20:59   #2899
Richard
Mord's imaginary friend

I've been playing lots of games lately: beat Deus Ex: HR to 100% completion, same with the Missing Link expansion (GotY for me, by far). Trying to get 100% completion on Alan Wake which was surprisingly enjoyable and also longer than I expected. Still toiling away at Skyrim. Will probably jump into Assassin's Creed 2 or LA Noire next.

Beat Rage yesterday. On Ultra-Violence with a gamepad and barely experienced any challenge throughout the game. Wtf is wrong with today's designers? Also, that ending, holy crap a firing squad is not punishing enough. Btw, I enjoyed Rage a lot more than I thought I would. It's a solid 8/10 game, probably an 8.5 game however lack of challenge and INVISIBLE WALLS EVERYWHERE!

Also, now I can speak intelligently about id Tech 5's MegaTexture: NOT. FRICKING. WORTH. IT.

The ocasional beatiful vista or set piece at a distance is not worth the mountains of low-rez textures that move across your screen without needing to put your face to a wall. In fact, last year I thought the texture pop-in would be a far bigger problem but it's not AT ALL (at least on my machine it isn't - it's there, it's noticeable but playing with a gamepad it's not too annoying). However, you see low-rez textures everywhere, you see lighting shadow artefacts everywhere. When the lighting/shadowing are dynamic you kind of forgive some corner case problems but not when it's offline baked!

You have phantom shadows, phantom lights, lights going through occluders, shadows being broken, you got shadow precision issues (the same ones you get with real-time shadow buffers). You have texture compression issues, you see large blocky patches of textures whenever the surface brightness goes below 0.3 or similar. The texture detail option they added is a toss-up. It masks the lack of resolution, yes but it also makes you feel like you're playing a game through an old tv set with an horror flick filter.

And you absolutely, positively notice the difference between static and dynamic geometry. I'm never surprised by a fictional door because I know a door is part of the scenery simply the way it is lit compared to a real door.

I really thought all those screenshots we saw of low rez phones and pipes and whatever being posted when the game launched were simply the result of trolls trying to find the few rough spots but no, nearly every static surface has a texel density far below the standard today. On the floor, the walls, far away building landscapes, it's everywhere.

What is worse is that the characters/dynamic objects have excellent texel density so they stand out even more!

Act 2 is slightly better in this regard btw, with Jackal Valley being a particularly great example of how MT can improve the IQ. However, like I said, it's not worth all the tradeoffs. Also, INVISIBLE WALLS MOTHATRUCKER!
Old 05-Jun-2012, 21:50   #2900
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.
Regular

Alan Wake's American Nightmare: This is a standalone DLC that finishes off the story in the main game, and as such should have been part of the original game. They've managed to separate it out as it's really just three levels that you play three times (changing things as you go each time) so is structured differently from the original game. It's quite clever and a bit arcady (more shooting, less travelling), but isn't as scary as the original PC game.

Max Payne 3: Very good. Stylistic presentation, well written, looks great. You're not always a "fat bald guy with a temper, in a bad shirt". Despite some of the levels being in South America, it definitely fits in with the spirit of Max Payne gameplay, whilst giving everything a new twist and a new coat of paint.

The cover-shooter aspect works, as you use this while you are recharging your bullet time by shooting people without the slo-mo to help you.

My only criticism is some of the difficulty is a bit uneven, and usually when things get difficult and you're hugely outnumbered, there's some trick to figure things out, eg where to run to in order to find the necessary bit of cover to get you through a difficult sequence.
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pc games, post count +1