Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 25-Apr-2012, 09:31   #26
poopypoo

That makes more sense, certainly, but I am still dubious. Just to take an example, my wife pre-ordered me3 on origin because she is a total bioware junkie. We streamed it in just fine. Our internet connection usually tops out at 100 kBps down, because we're in an old, shitty building. A lot of better broadband plans in HK are still poor when it comes to accessing overseas sites at peak hours, though. Regardless, I presume they have some servers in Asia because we download games from Steam and Origin without much trouble. But... lag... can be a bitch! I cannot play me3 mulitplayer, because the matches are long and there's a roughly 50% chance of losing sync. I get pissed off quickly with lag, and have given up on a number of MMORPGs due to it. Now, i have played some of those here, and also some MP games by companies with a longer track record of solid netcode. They sometimes get hiccuppy but they're often worth the hassle. But me3 mp is a complete no-go for me. Even loading the game takes an inordinately long time due to the server check. If my single player games are doomed to the same fate... I dunno. i guess we'll see!
poopypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2012, 19:51   #27
MfA
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MfA

There has to be a way to convince ME3/origin that your internet connection is down ...

If you really take the connection down and put origin in offline mode ME3 starts up a ton faster.
Old 25-Apr-2012, 20:43   #28
Silent_Buddha
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopypoo View Post
That makes more sense, certainly, but I am still dubious. Just to take an example, my wife pre-ordered me3 on origin because she is a total bioware junkie. We streamed it in just fine. Our internet connection usually tops out at 100 kBps down, because we're in an old, shitty building. A lot of better broadband plans in HK are still poor when it comes to accessing overseas sites at peak hours, though. Regardless, I presume they have some servers in Asia because we download games from Steam and Origin without much trouble. But... lag... can be a bitch! I cannot play me3 mulitplayer, because the matches are long and there's a roughly 50% chance of losing sync. I get pissed off quickly with lag, and have given up on a number of MMORPGs due to it. Now, i have played some of those here, and also some MP games by companies with a longer track record of solid netcode. They sometimes get hiccuppy but they're often worth the hassle. But me3 mp is a complete no-go for me. Even loading the game takes an inordinately long time due to the server check. If my single player games are doomed to the same fate... I dunno. i guess we'll see!
Yeah, lost packets and latency are going to be the killers for this type of game service model. All I have to do is switch to wireless connection versus wired connection in my location (LOTS of high powered MIMO wireless routers in my area) to see the effects of lag.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2012, 23:04   #29
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

Oh, I'm sure this idea will go over just fine with the gaming community.
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 22:33   #30
Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcchen View Post
Eventually single player games will be very rare.
Oh, I don't think so. It's just that other companies will be making them.
Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2012, 00:23   #31
BRiT

With PC game publishers like this is it any wonder the outlook for PC gaming looks questionable? I know this sort of event isn't going to be doing them any favors with their customers, or make that ex-customers. It certainly hasn't made me want to get games for the PC.
Old 27-Apr-2012, 02:11   #32
pcchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder View Post
Oh, I don't think so. It's just that other companies will be making them.
Of course, some will try, but will they be successful (in making money)?

The same goes to ad-supported games, too. Since ad (especially on a mobile platform) works only when internet is available, the best way to make an ad-supported game is to make an online game, where internet connection is required. Then you can make sure all your ads will be served.
pcchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2012, 10:49   #33
Dr Evil
Anas platyrhynchos

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalwanderer View Post
Oh, I'm sure this ideawill go over just fine with the gaming community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRiT View Post
I know this sort of event isn't going to be doing them any favors with their customers, or make that ex-customers. It certainly hasn't made me want to get games for the PC.
What idea? Which sort of event!? Did you guys completely ignore what Arwin said. The news is just EA wanting to expand their games on multiple devices like they already did with Mass Effect 3 with it's iPad App. Their games are going to have mini games on other devices and you can transport the progress of those mini games into the main game.

The streaming thing was an idiotic interpretation from the author in OP's linked article and even that was edited days ago. There is no new DRM schemes here...
Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2012, 23:16   #34
BRiT

Yes, I read what Arwin said, but I was responding to the idea that started this thread, that all EA games would be streamed from here on out. I also have this feeling that EA, Activision and other evil publishers will try to move to a pure control DRM situation. It's inevitable.
Old 28-Apr-2012, 23:41   #35
Mobius1aic
Quo vadis?

We will always have better days, fonder memories.
Mobius1aic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draconian, drm, electronicarts, nazis