Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 25-Apr-2012, 19:54   #1
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.
Regular

Default AMD Catalyst 12.4 Released

Download here, release notes here.

Quote:
NEW FEATURES

Windows XP support for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
  • In addition to Windows 7 and Windows Vista support, Catalyst 12.4 now also introduces Windows XP (64-bit/32-bit) support for the AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing: Level of Detail (LOD) Image Quality enhancements
  • Supported on the AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
  • LOD Image quality enhancements have been improved when enabling Super Sample Anti-Aliasing and Adaptive Anti-Aliasing through the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center for DirectX® 10 and DirectX® 11 applications.
  • Applications must support in game Anti-Aliasing for the feature to work (Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center is not supported for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications)
Morphological Anti-Aliasing (MLAA): Significant performance enhancements
  • Supported on the AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series, AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series, and AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
  • MLAA now operates up to 80% faster than previous versions
Texture filtering quality improvements
  • Supported on the AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
  • Improvements have been made to the texture filtering algorithm (for both DirectX9 and DirectX10/DirectX11 applications) to increase the quality of rendered textures, with no impact to performance
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2012, 23:09   #2
Davros
Regular

Fantastic I haven't had much luck with 12.3's
Didnt have much luck with the 12.3 uninstaller either
come on amd if you add stuff to a pc you make a list then remove whats in the list when the uninstaller is run. It's not hard, its not rocket science, why is this beyond you ?
Old 25-Apr-2012, 23:48   #3
Davros
Regular

AMD APP SDK RuntimeFinal Status: Fail
Version of Item: 10.0.923.1
Size: 90 Mbytes

my thoughts : when you install drivers, they dont get initialised/switched on untill the catalyst isnstall manager is finished, therefore the app runtime tries to install cant find running drivers and so fail.
Old 26-Apr-2012, 00:18   #4
Davros
Regular

edit: my above theory appears to be wrong as i re ran the catalyst installer and deselected everything except the app sdk runtime (and the display driver as it cant be deselected) and it still failed

Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
04/26/12 00:15:50

Hardware information
Name AMD Radeon Graphics Processor
Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID 0x6719
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x030000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0x0b00
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1002
Other hardware

Existing packagesAMD Catalyst Install Manager
AMD Display Driver
HDMI/DP Audio Driver
AMD Media Foundation Decoders
Catalyst Control Center

Packages for install
AMD Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 8.0.873.0
Size: 20 Mbytes
AMD APP SDK RuntimeFinal Status: Fail
Version of Item: 10.0.923.1
Size: 90 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID 0xaa80
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x040300
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xaa80
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1002

Error messages
Old 26-Apr-2012, 01:43   #5
Babel-17

Might have some issues with the uninstaller removing the 12.3's and then installing the 12.4's on my two Intel based Dell PC's.

One has a HD 5770, the other a 6870.

Uninstalling on the 6870 and then rebooting didn't leave me with the usual default resolution, I still had 1920 x 1080.

After installing the 12.4's and rebooting I don't have the option for HDMI audio. It's got the red arrow "Not plugged in".

Same thing with HDMI audio and my 5770 but a repair install seemingly fixed it. I'll have to check it again after another reboot.

Edit: Weird, the repair feature gets me my HDMI audio back but I lose it again when I reboot. That's on both systems.

I'm going to try an uninstall then a reinstall. If that doesn't work I'm using my most recent image backup and calling it a day.

Last edited by Babel-17; 26-Apr-2012 at 01:50.
Babel-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 10:43   #6
Davros
Regular

Mine says not plugged in too, but I dont have anything connected to the hdmi port.
ps: I'm not sure amd app sdk is actually included its suppossed to be 90mb in size and I cant find anything that matches in c:\amd
Old 26-Apr-2012, 11:38   #7
CarstenS

Send a message via ICQ to CarstenS

It's called APP SDK, but I think it's rather the runtime OpenCL driver components only.
CarstenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 11:58   #8
Grall
Invisible Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Mine says not plugged in too, but I dont have anything connected to the hdmi port.
That sounds alright, then.
Old 26-Apr-2012, 12:31   #9
Babel-17

Just can't get my HDMI audio working on either system with these. Both systems are plugged into my Sony XBR6.

I uninstalled them and used the 12.3's and got my HDMI audio back.

With the 12.4's unplugging my HDMI cable and then plugging it back in restored HDMI audio but I'd loser it again with a reboot.

On two uninstalls of the 12.4's I got atikmpag.sys blue screens.
Old 26-Apr-2012, 12:50   #10
Lightman

My experience is not to uninstall previous drivers and just install new ones on top. By doing that I have no problems with driver installation at all since Cat. 9.x or even before.
Once I had driver installer failed but that was Windows corruption (due to having fun OCing my CPU and memory past their limits of course) and restoring to few months earlier and then installing driver solved issue.
Lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 14:54   #11
Davros
Regular

I always uninstall the previous driver first (thats amd advice) but this time because of the bsod's and driver has recovered warnings I had with 12.3 I also used driver sweeper.

ps: sorry for the OT
Babel you have a Sony XBR6. a 10bit panel radeons are supposed to support 10bit can you enable it or are you stuck with 32bit ?
Old 26-Apr-2012, 15:19   #12
Babel-17

"Good news everyone!"

Well, I tried several more things including using the last version of driver sweeper that didn't have adware (2.1.0) (afaik).

I even tried the latest betas and I even tried not installing the new CCC and I also tried sticking with the old HDMI audio driver.

No luck but maybe I'll get away with my current attempt which is to use the HDMI audio from the betas instead of the one from the 12.4's.

This has survived three reboots and one cold start as well as a minute of gaming and playing a few seconds of some videos.

One other interesting thing; During a frankenstall of the 12.3 HDMI audio drivers I had a pop-up from the CCC which wanted to know what I wanted to do about my disabled audio. It even showed me a slice of the CCC I had never seen before, or since. It was a tab that showed all of my systems audio hardware.

Lol, it was a nice Matrix-like moment.

So, I have the 12.4 video drivers and CCC and Media Foundation and the HDMI Audio from the (8.97 April 18) Unofficial BETA that I found at guru3d.

I guess a link would be nice in case someone googles themselves here.

But my bandaid of a fix could break at any moment is my guess, etc., so caveat emptor.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=361892
Old 26-Apr-2012, 15:22   #13
Babel-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I always uninstall the previous driver first (thats amd advice) but this time because of the bsod's and driver has recovered warnings I had with 12.3 I also used driver sweeper.

ps: sorry for the OT
Babel you have a Sony XBR6. a 10bit panel radeons are supposed to support 10bit can you enable it or are you stuck with 32bit ?
Mine is 32" and only 8-bit.

MPC Home Cinema has an option to enable 10-bit if anyone has such hardware.
Old 26-Apr-2012, 16:08   #14
Babel-17

It tasks me, if it's enabled, it becomes disabled after a reboot, and vice-versa.

On both systems, using the beta's HD audio.

I guess I'm almost done.
Old 26-Apr-2012, 20:23   #15
Babel-17

I think I might owe an apology as I'm starting to suspect that losing the HDMI audio output might be connected to my having both PC's connected to the same HDTV and/or being on a network.

I guess I'll see what's what, over time, and I figured I owed this thread an update.

Edit: I've only had this setup, two PC's networked and on the same HDTV, for about a month and this is my first time updating the video drivers on that. I've been using my older PC mostly just for rare grunt work and to make matters more complex it has a separate audio out to my HDTV that kicks in if the HDMI audio is disabled. I might have had this situation all along.

Last edited by Babel-17; 26-Apr-2012 at 20:38.
Old 27-Apr-2012, 17:36   #16
Babel-17

I thought I found a workaround, for my new PC, by disabling the onboard audio.

Then I read at guru3d a chap posting how just shutting off his monitor would disable his audio.

Yup, that did it to me too.

I suppose it's a relief to think it's the drivers and not an error between keyboard and chair but this precludes my updating to a HD 7870 till it gets addressed.

Not holding my breath as I googled the heck out of this and got very few hits. Not many use my kind of setup I guess.

Maybe I'll file a ticket but I prefer to let the dust settle more.
Old 27-Apr-2012, 18:12   #17
Babel-17

The plot thickens?

"AMD VISION Engine control center now controls audio ..."

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...3989315&page=3
Old 27-Apr-2012, 18:45   #18
Malo
Oz Yak

Jesus, looks like I won't be upgrading my HTPC catalyst anytime soon. I have all my TV, amp, sub etc linked to the TV master on my green power strip so it all turns off when I power off my TV (htpc is on 24/7). If I had to restart the htpc every time I would go fricken nuts... and so would my family.
Old 27-Apr-2012, 20:16   #19
voyager
Registered

same here. After upgrade to 12.4 my htpc (E-450 based) loses HDMI audio when waking up from sleep. I use a Harmony remote that turns on my TV first and then wakes the HTPC from S3 sleep mode.

Unfortunately there is a timing issue and intermittently the HDMI handshake doesn't happen, so no HDMI audio. I can only solve it through rebooting while keeping the TV "on".

I reverted back to 12.3 to resolve the problem.

Question is how does one report this to AMD? I looked for a bug report form on their site but couldn't find any.
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2012, 21:04   #20
Davros
Regular

Me neither
Old 27-Apr-2012, 21:22   #21
CarstenS

Send a message via ICQ to CarstenS

There's a Catalyst Crew Feedback link in the driver downloads section at game.amd.com which leads to
http://www.amd.com/us/CatalystCrewSurvey

For XP, there's no such link.
CarstenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Apr-2012, 01:25   #22
Babel-17

Thanks CarstenS, I used that link, feedback submitted!
Old 30-Apr-2012, 19:47   #23
Albuquerque
Red-headed step child

Submitted feedback; my 7970 generates a hard lock of the box when walking from Riverwood to Whiterun; right behind the Honeymead brewery. Thought somehow my overclock had gone unstable; reset my entire box back to factory defaults (GPU, ram, GPU) and I was able to hard lock the box over and over and over again at the same place.

Ripped out all the AMD drivers, reinstalled the old betas from initial release, and all is well again. Bleh.
Get some supplies <...> Within the next couple of months, you'll need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ 6/9 View Post
And riots are about to begin too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_8/5 View Post
food shortages and huge price jumps I predicted recently are becoming very real now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ View Post
If it turns out I was wrong, I'll admit being stupid
Albuquerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-May-2012, 18:28   #24
Broken Hope

Appears AMD are failing as usual, Blizzard are blocking anyone with the 12.4's from playing Diablo 3 due to a compatibility issue, so unless AMD fix this before the 15th, there is going to be a lot of unhappy customers.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4768329726
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-May-2012, 18:40   #25
3dilettante
Regular

I'm not too familiar with what's going on.
What exactly is a compatibility issue that can make a game dev block people from playing a game?