Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 10-Apr-2012, 15:38   #1
Tahir2
Itchy

Beyond3D Jack Tramiel passes away

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/09/c...-tramiel-dies/

Quote:
"Jack Tramiel was an immense influence in the consumer electronics and computing industries. A name once uttered in the same vein as Steve Jobs is today, his journey from concentration camp survivor to captain of industry is the stuff of legends." Tramiel leaves behind his wife, three sons and their extended families.
Old 10-Apr-2012, 16:36   #2
deeFive

Send a message via MSN to deeFive

Rest in peace.
Old 10-Apr-2012, 18:06   #3
Grall
Invisible Member

Jack Tramiel is one of the founding fathers of the modern-era home computer revolution. Although the two companies he had the most impact on - Commodore and Atari - are now naught but aging old relics (brand names aside, that is), he still has a lasting presence through the minds of all those 80s and early 90s kids and youths he influenced with his products. The C64 and the Atari ST being the two most major ones, of course.

Rest in peace. You were great (even though I cursed your name in my teens as an Amiga fanboy... )
Old 10-Apr-2012, 19:06   #4
Npl

Reading stories about Commodore, its rather astonishing that they created these cult machines despite having Tramiel at their top. Unlike Jobs he had no big vision about home-computers or anything, the only thing I attribute to him is cutting costs down insanely efficient with the C64 - basically by owning the whole production of most components.
He had absolute no long term strategy however and seen computers as a one-off money maker, research in future projects (headed by engineers) was canned often and early. Then he killed or pissed of partners so much that Commodore barely could sell the Amiga anywhere in the US. His motto "Business is war" the other way around.

He had a huge impact anyway, no doubt.. - RIP.
Npl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 20:43   #5
green.pixel

RIP.

green.pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2012, 09:53   #6
Dominik D

Sad news. C64 is what got me into computers.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Dominik D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2012, 15:59   #7
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

Very sad. My first home computer was a VIC-20 and gads I loved that thing, I learned how to program basic on it when I was in school.

R.I.P., and thank you.
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2012, 17:55   #8
Arwin
Now Officially a Top 10 Poster

While I also sometimes wonder if JT helped or hampered these companies, the Atari XL800 and the Atari ST were my first computers and I loved them dearly, just as I've had a lot of fun with friends' and relatives' C64s (Elite, Beach Head II, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Night Mission Pinball, Sargon etc) and got an Amiga 600HD at the end of the 16bit generation, then the failed Atari Falcon with CD drive, until I finally sqitched to my first own 486 PC (pc phase would last until the Playstation 1 took off)
Arwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2012, 11:34   #9
Grall
Invisible Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin View Post
until I finally sqitched to my first own 486 PC (pc phase would last until the Playstation 1 took off)
So... What have you been using since ~1995-ish, then?
Old 18-Apr-2012, 13:59   #10
Arwin
Now Officially a Top 10 Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grall View Post
So... What have you been using since ~1995-ish, then?
Well, at least for games only consoles basically (occasional PC fling aside - Warcraft 3, SimBin stuff ... ). Otherwise though of course, yes, a various amount of PCs.
Arwin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
legend