Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reply
Old 10-Apr-2012, 22:30   #2076
Davros
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Buddha View Post
Sure I did, even if I didn't state it exactly so.
No you didnt, you totally ignored the fact that being shot should not improve your accuracy and said "this is exactly how suppressive fire works in the real world"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeF View Post
Normally being able to shot first and hit was advantageous but now it seems its actually better to miss first few bullets and deprive your opponent of accuracy.
Now do you see why we are all pulling our hair out and screaming Bhudda why cant you see it, this is not suppressive fire done right.
__________________
Guardian of the Bodacious Three Terabytes of Gaming Goodness™
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2012, 22:37   #2077
Richard
Mord's imaginary friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: PT, EU
Posts: 3,513
Default

Here's a question (haven't had the opportunity to play yet since the patch), I take it the the anti-suppression perk doesn't solve the problem?
__________________
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true. - James Branch Cabell
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2012, 17:42   #2078
DeF
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Here's a question (haven't had the opportunity to play yet since the patch), I take it the the anti-suppression perk doesn't solve the problem?
Unfortunately it does not. I spent some time using it but with little effect. I am not saying its not working at all but its just not really worth it.
DeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2012, 19:18   #2079
tabs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,278
Default

I really haven't had a problem with suppression since the patch. I have no clue what the big deal is!

Even played a bit of metro yesterday and it was fine there. Are we playing the same game?

This thread sucks recently btw. I know I'm not helping.
__________________
Trade games with other B3D members I'm not an armchair expert; I'm an enthusiastic armchair ignoramus.
tabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2012, 08:12   #2080
RenegadeRocks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,463
Default

I tried shooting randomnly in the general direction of enemies in Metro, like in that suppression video and voila !, I ranked up twice by getting suppression points(and resupply points for ammo drops) like crazy by just "shooting"! I had not tried this aimless shooting tactic before < maybe I am not creative enough !
__________________
We are the Renegades, we are the people with our own philosophy,
We change the course of history, everyday, people like you and me !
My first game :Christmas Magic + on App Store now :) !
The awesome trailer on youtube !
Renegade's Muse !
RenegadeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2012, 11:19   #2081
Davros
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11,080
Default

Now I know what the french were up to in the holy grail
"I fart in your general direction"
suppression points
__________________
Guardian of the Bodacious Three Terabytes of Gaming Goodness™
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 13:51   #2082
ECH
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtabs View Post
I really haven't had a problem with suppression since the patch. I have no clue what the big deal is!

Even played a bit of metro yesterday and it was fine there. Are we playing the same game?

This thread sucks recently btw. I know I'm not helping.
The problem with suppression as a whole is that it was designed to be a weapon specialization you enable. However, suppression is on by default now. So you can suppress while you shot even though you selected a different specialization. We have a few specializations to choose from: suppression, cover, sprint, grenade, ammo, flak, explosion. Then there are the same options for your squad.

Last edited by ECH; 15-Apr-2012 at 17:12.
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 15:14   #2083
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH View Post
The problem with suppression as a whole is that it was designed to be a weapon specialization you enable. However, suppression is on by default now. So you can suppress while you shot even though you selected a different specialization. We have a few specializations to choose from: suppression, sprint, ammo, flak, expl. Then there are the same options for your squad.
The suppression spec increases the effect. Suppression has always been on by default in some manner in BF3.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 16:55   #2084
ECH
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
The suppression spec increases the effect. Suppression has always been on by default in some manner in BF3.
No, it wasn't which is why we are seeing this change. The point being is that the game was designed for us to use suppression when you chose the suppression specialization option. No different then you can run slightly faster when you chose the sprint specialization. And the same goes for all the other specializations. The point is that suppression is only needed if you choose the specialization for it. No different then any other specialization. However, now, we get suppression "free" and are still able to choose another specialization. I'm seeing plenty of suppression ribbons/medals, etc now then before the patch and I've not select the suppression specialization for my weapon. That to me, is the problem in a nut shell.

Last edited by ECH; 15-Apr-2012 at 17:03.
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 17:11   #2085
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH View Post
No, it wasn't which is why we are seeing this change. The point being is that the game was designed for us to use suppression when you chose the suppression specialization option. No different then you can run slightly faster when you chose the sprint specialization. And the same goes for all the other specializations. The point is that suppression is only needed if you choose the specialization for it. No different then any other specialization. However, now, we get suppression "free" and are still able to choose another specialization. I'm seeing plenty of suppression ribbons/medals, etc now then before the patch and I've not select the suppression specialization for my weapon. That to me, is the problem in a nut shell.
No, you can still run when you don't have the sprint option. You still have a frag when you don't have the frag spec, etc.

You could suppress other people in the ALPHA/BETA before any unlocks had come.

Quote:
Suppressive Fire specialization increase the effectiveness of your suppressive fire effect. Players you shoot at will experience more scree blur and experience it sooner. Unlocked at level 18.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 18:11   #2086
ECH
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
No, you can still run when you don't have the sprint option. You still have a frag when you don't have the frag spec, etc.

You could suppress other people in the ALPHA/BETA before any unlocks had come.

Lets make it clear then. If you want to run a little faster you use the sprint specialization. Running is already part of the game. Running faster then those who don't have the sprint specialization isn't. Therefore you select that option to do so. Get it yet? If not, I have another one for you. It's call grenade specialization. Although you get a grenade when you spawn if you want more you select that specialization.

Which brings us to suppression. If you want to suppress other players and get achievements for it you use the suppression specialization. You shouldn't be getting ribbons and other awards for suppression when you don't use the suppression specialization.

You already believe there was some sort of suppression without the specialization before the patch (per your post). When you didn't select the suppression specialization you didn't get ribbons, medals etc for suppressing others. And you didn't cause other player to have complete random deviation and blurred vision. Which to me was correct. Selecting the suppression specialization as it is now adds nothing vs choosing another specialization. This allows me the benefit of 2 specializations instead of one. This isn't because you can select 2 different specializations. It's because suppression is on by default now which allows me to choose another specialization.

Last edited by ECH; 15-Apr-2012 at 18:29.
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 18:48   #2087
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH View Post
Lets make it clear then. If you want to run a little faster you use the sprint specialization. Running is already part of the game. Running faster then those who don't have the sprint specialization isn't. Therefore you select that option to do so. Get it yet? If not, I have another one for you. It's call grenade specialization. Although you get a grenade when you spawn if you want more you select that specialization.

Which brings us to suppression. If you want to suppress other players and get achievements for it you use the suppression specialization. You shouldn't be getting ribbons and other awards for suppression when you don't use the suppression specialization.

You already believe there was some sort of suppression without the specialization before the patch (per your post). When you didn't select the suppression specialization you didn't get ribbons, medals etc for suppressing others. And you didn't cause other player to have complete random deviation and blurred vision. Which to me was correct. Selecting the suppression specialization as it is now adds nothing vs choosing another specialization. This allows me the benefit of 2 specializations instead of one. This isn't because you can select 2 different specializations. It's because suppression is on by default now which allows me to choose another specialization.
You are just plain wrong on this. Why would suppression spec be the ONLY spec where you gained the ability to do something you couldn't do before? You can run without sprint, you can throw a grenade without frag, you can survive explosives without flak, you can go into cover without cover, you can carry ammo without ammo spec. In your world, suppression is the only thing you cannot do without the spec. It is not true.

What is true is that suppression has been beefed up after the patch.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 19:14   #2088
ECH
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
You are just plain wrong on this. Why would suppression spec be the ONLY spec where you gained the ability to do something you couldn't do before? You can run without sprint, you can throw a grenade without frag, you can survive explosives without flak, you can go into cover without cover, you can carry ammo without ammo spec. In your world, suppression is the only thing you cannot do without the spec. It is not true.

What is true is that suppression has been beefed up after the patch.
Saying I'm wrong and then make this post which doesn't make sense isn't a good counter argument. You question the validity of the specialization feature in the game however, you must acknowledge it's existence. We don't need a suppression specialization if it's "always on" in game. No different then any other specialization that is allowed to remain on at default. If you want to suppress you use that specialization. No different if you want to sprint faster, have more grenades, get more ammo, etc
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 19:15   #2089
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH View Post
Saying I'm wrong and then make this post which doesn't make sense isn't a good counter argument. You question the validity of the specialization feature in the game however, you must acknowledge it's existence. We don't need a suppression specialization if it's "always on" in game. No different then any other specialization that is allowed to remain "on". The point is very clear here. If you want to suppress you use that specialization. No different if you want to sprint faster, have more grenades, get more ammo, etc
Suppression spec: bigger suppression effect. You could always suppress enemies even without it.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 19:19   #2090
ECH
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
Suppression spec: bigger suppression effect. You could always suppress enemies even without it.
Using the suppression specialization would easily provide you suppression. All you have to do is select it as your character's specialization. Not as a specialization that's always on at default leaving you the option to choose another specialization instead. That's why we have specializations. So you can do specific things in the game.
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 19:28   #2091
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH View Post
Using the suppression specialization would easily provide you suppression. All you have to do is select it as your character's specialization. Not as a specialization that's always on at default leaving you the option to choose another specialization instead. That's why we have specializations. So you can do specific things in the game.
Sigh.

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Suppressive_Fire
http://battlefield3tips.net/battlefi...pecialization/
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 19:33   #2092
ECH
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
Sigh.
So your arguing for the futility of it then . I think you should understand by now that we are going to agree to disagree. It's clear you don't have a problem with it now. It allows you to select more then one specialization that otherwise wasn't available before this patch. I see if for what it is and want specialization aspect to return back to the way it was. If you want to use a specialization then you have to select it. Although I can suppress and sprint, suppress and use more ammo/grenades, etc now (get suppression ribbons, awards, etc) I don't think it was intended that way. At the very least I wasn't able to play that way before the patch.
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 19:36   #2093
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH View Post
So your arguing for the futility of it then . I think you should understand by now that we are going to agree to disagree. It's clear you don't have a problem with it now. It allows you to select more then one specialization that otherwise wasn't available before this patch. I see if for it what it is and want specialization aspect to return back to the way it was. If you want to use a specialization then you have to select it. I don't think it was ever intended to allow us to use more then 1 specialization.
This isn't a matter of opinion. Suppressive fire exists in BF3. You can gain suppression assists without the suppression spec. You gain more effective suppressive fire if you take the spec, making it easier to gain assists and thus awards because the effect lasts for longer. This is fact, no matter how much you wink at me.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 19:37   #2094
ECH
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
This isn't a matter of opinion. Suppressive fire exists in BF3. You can gain suppression assists without the suppression spec. You gain more effective suppressive fire if you take the spec, making it easier to gain assists and thus awards because the effect lasts for longer. This is fact, no matter how much you wink at me.
You're not making much sense. It's not suppression that's part of the game but specializations. Suppression comes from specializations and therefore should return to being a specialization. But at least we are making progress here. You do imply that suppression is no longer a specialization (even though its still currently found as a specialization).
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 19:41   #2095
Bludd
Eric the Half-a-bee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH View Post
You're not making much sense. It's not suppression that's part of the game but specializations. Suppression comes from specializations and therefore, should return to being a specialization. But at least we are making progress here. You do imply that suppression is no longer a specialization :razz (even though its still currently found as a specialization).
Don't put your inability to understand how the spec system works on me. I am done with this. You can continue with your delusion.
Bludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 19:47   #2096
ECH
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
Don't put your inability to understand how the spec system works on me. I am done with this. You can continue with your delusion.
Like I said earlier, the best we could do about this subject is to agree to disagree. Suppression should return to being a specialization again. IMO, selecting one specialization per kit is more then enough to play the game.
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2012, 23:15   #2097
homerdog
hardly a Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: still camping with a mauler
Posts: 4,521
Default

I do believe that suppression was always there, and the perk just increased its effect.
__________________
Releasing a game in 2010 without AA is a completely foreign concept to me. If the technique you're using makes it impossible to use AA then you're using the wrong techniques. As simple as that. Releasing a PC game without AA options is OK only if that means you can only have it enabled
-Humus
homerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2012, 01:51   #2098
tabs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,278
Default

ECH. Sorry, you are wrong on this. Suppression was always there. It's effect has simply been magnified since this patch to the point where people actually notice it now (which in my personal opinion is great). It's not a subjective thing, it's just a fact that the suppressive perk simply increased the suppressive effect that was already there, and it still does this, post-patch.

You could still get suppression ribbons and suppressive fire bonuses without any perks at all, both before and after the patch. Only one thing has changed, and that is the degree to which the suppressive fire affects your vision and aim.

It's funny to hear DeF still moaning about it on Teamspeak most evenings... as he is laying waste to all and sundry and stealing all of my MVP ribbons... You'd think the rest of us would be the ones with something to complain about.

In my mind suppression has gone from something that was next to useless to an actual viable mechanic, as it was seemingly intended to be from the outset.

This thread still sucks a bit, but if you look back you can easily pin it on Davros. The dirty troll doesn't even have the game, yet he wades in here causing arguments.
__________________
Trade games with other B3D members I'm not an armchair expert; I'm an enthusiastic armchair ignoramus.

Last edited by tabs; 21-Apr-2012 at 02:03.
tabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2012, 05:06   #2099
ECH
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtabs View Post
ECH. Sorry, you are wrong on this. Suppression was always there. It's effect has simply been magnified since this patch to the point where people actually notice it now (which in my personal opinion is great). It's not a subjective thing, it's just a fact that the suppressive perk simply increased the suppressive effect that was already there, and it still does this, post-patch.

You could still get suppression ribbons and suppressive fire bonuses without any perks at all, both before and after the patch. Only one thing has changed, and that is the degree to which the suppressive fire affects your vision and aim.

It's funny to hear DeF still moaning about it on Teamspeak most evenings... as he is laying waste to all and sundry and stealing all of my MVP ribbons... You'd think the rest of us would be the ones with something to complain about.

In my mind suppression has gone from something that was next to useless to an actual viable mechanic, as it was seemingly intended to be from the outset.

This thread still sucks a bit, but if you look back you can easily pin it on Davros. The dirty troll doesn't even have the game, yet he wades in here causing arguments.
I think you're mistaken. Magnifying the suppression is fine as long as it's part of the specialization package. Although even then it still can be toned down by decreasing it's duration, remove/reduce the random deviation and require more then 1 bullet to cause the effect. You don't need it on by default making the specialization for it useless. Take a moment and watch this video using the LMG ( a few months ago). As you can see there are plenty of LMG and handgun ribbons but no suppression ribbon .

The specialization should be enabled in order to get those ribbons/medals and suppress. This is all I'm trying to say here. I understand you like it but, you should enjoy choosing that as part of your character's loadout in order to get it's effect. Take a look at this thread discussing the issue of suppression a few months ago. Again, people were complaining about the lack of suppression. So it wasn't fine before the patch. They've done some extensive research and complied a video about it.

Last edited by ECH; 21-Apr-2012 at 16:19.
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2012, 19:23   #2100
homerdog
hardly a Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: still camping with a mauler
Posts: 4,521
Default

Is there any reliable way to keep Origin from hammering my HDD constantly? It's not that I have anything to hide, it's that I can easily tell when Origin is trolling by how much slower my computer gets.

I guess it doesn't much matter to me that Origin uses more than 4 times the RAM as Steam, since I have enough RAM to where is doesn't matter (4GB) but still. It's incredible how bad Origin is.
__________________
Releasing a game in 2010 without AA is a completely foreign concept to me. If the technique you're using makes it impossible to use AA then you're using the wrong techniques. As simple as that. Releasing a PC game without AA options is OK only if that means you can only have it enabled
-Humus
homerdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.