Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 27-Mar-2012, 07:32   #1
dZeus

Default Raspberry Pi as desktop

I'm wondering if it's possible to use a Raspberry Pi as a desktop running Linux + a lightweight desktop environment.

I'm running Debian on low-end headless servers using less than 10 MB to boot which allows them to run several services in the remaining RAM (these are 32MB Linksys NSLU2 boxes). Surely 256MB of RAM of the R-Pi should be enough to add a desktop environment... Or are all modern desktop environments bloated nowadays?
dZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2012, 09:03   #2
hoho

Send a message via MSN to hoho Send a message via Skype™ to hoho

I know people that used N900 with external kb/mouse/monitor as a desktop. RP should be quite a bit more powerful than that phone. It won't be that fast but for some really basic stuff it's good enough.
hoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2012, 09:15   #3
Arwin
Now Officially a Top 10 Poster

From my experience with PS3 Linux (which initially only ever had access to the 256MB XDR), it's possible but not very comfortable. But if you're very experienced at reducing the overhead, I can imagine you'll be able to get it to do what you want just fine. Browsers and such can take up a lot of memory fast though ...
Arwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2012, 16:15   #4
Grall
Invisible Member

But the CPU supports virtual memory, surely? Hook up a SSD to it, and swapping won't be so horrible...

Anyhow, is there a genuine reason to use a Raspberry as a desktop? Seems more like a fun experiment kind of thing...
Old 01-Apr-2012, 11:13   #5
dZeus

It's an experiment. But running a desktop at under 5 Watts surely gets my interest. I guess I should start experimenting with Xubuntu and Lubuntu to see their RAM usage.

P.S. I noticed that Chrome is very light on RAM as long as you don't open too many pages.
dZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Apr-2012, 04:13   #6
rpg.314

Send a message via Skype™ to rpg.314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grall View Post
But the CPU supports virtual memory, surely? Hook up a SSD to it, and swapping won't be so horrible...

Anyhow, is there a genuine reason to use a Raspberry as a desktop? Seems more like a fun experiment kind of thing...
The SoC might not have a SATA port.
rpg.314 is offline   Reply With Quote