Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 24-Mar-2012, 20:48   #1
Grall
Invisible Member

Default Any word on Catalyst 12.3?

It's now rather late in the month, didn't they use to release drivers around mid-month...?
Old 24-Mar-2012, 22:35   #2
Davros
Naughty Boy!

It may possibly be out allready

http://widescreengamingforum.com/for...d-catalyst-123
Old 25-Mar-2012, 10:19   #3
Broken Hope

That's just a bug with the 12.2 drivers.

I really hope they are out soon and they fix the display corruption in WoW when AA is turned on, how they can mess up a game that over 10 million people play I don't know.

AMD drivers are just getting worse each release.

Looks like they are late though.

http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreato...81718158221313
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-2012, 13:13   #4
eastmen

I certianly think AMD needs to switch from a monthly to a bi monthly or even a 3 month release schedual. It would also help if they increase the size of the driver team
eastmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-2012, 13:57   #5
Malo
Oz Yak

AMD drivers seem to be having a lot of issues with post-processing lately. My wife has a Barts and the last 3 games she's played have all had issues unless some kind of post-processing filter has been turned off. She loaded up a certain MMO sequel beta last night, that has guilds in it, and had to turn off DoF otherwise all you would get would be the GUI. The same happened on Amalur and Stacking seems display see-through geometry everywhere.

She's not impressed and most likely I'll be getting her an Nvidia next just so she doesn't have to fuck around with driver problems constantly.
Old 25-Mar-2012, 16:09   #6
Davros
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmen View Post
It would also help if they increase the size of the driver team
Bob could do with an assistant
Old 25-Mar-2012, 16:35   #7
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.
Regular

There's a 12.3 pre release available with the official probably due out next week. There's also a 12.4 beta developers driver if you're a bit more adventurous.
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-2012, 16:53   #8
Grall
Invisible Member

Thanks BZB, I knew about the pre-release, but what's the point of installing that - which is an old version already by now - when the official (hopefully!) is so close around the corner... Well now that I think about it, I believe I'm on 11.12 hotfix 2 drivers still actually, so most anything is newer than what I got!

Latest patch of Skyrim is making random objects flicker, and there's texture flickering in Crysis 2 (especially in windows/doorways), so it certainly feels like I'm due for an update...
Old 25-Mar-2012, 17:07   #9
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grall View Post
Thanks BZB, I knew about the pre-release, but what's the point of installing that - which is an old version already by now - when the official (hopefully!) is so close around the corner... Well now that I think about it, I believe I'm on 11.12 hotfix 2 drivers still actually, so most anything is newer than what I got!
No the pre-release you referenced earlier is a 12.2 that is the same as the 12.2 WHQL that just has a mis-reported string of 12.3.

The one I linked to is actually a 12.3 released on 19th March with a higher version number (8.95.5-120224a-134185E-ATI)
Old 28-Mar-2012, 17:16   #10
Grall
Invisible Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. View Post
No the pre-release you referenced earlier is a 12.2 that is the same as the 12.2 WHQL that just has a mis-reported string of 12.3.
Sorry, but that wasn't me. I read about the march 19th pre-release you referred to on some internet news site earlier this month, dunno where, and decided I just wasn't interested as I figured the genuine release version had to be due any day. Yet here we are with march almost over (three days to go), and still no "gold disc" version... Pretty disheartening.

Again I can't help thinking ATI needs to drop these ridiculous monthly releases. They obviously can't coordinate both forks of their source, or even keep up with their own schedule. It's only shooting themselves in the foot when their system is making fixes pop in and out of different final and hotfix releases in a (to the customer) unpredictable and incomprehensible manner, since they don't inform anyone of how their bi-monthly + hotfix schedule works.

Adding to the confusion, when multiple fixes are required such as in the case of Rage this past winter, it just gets even worse. Result is a resounding all-around fail. Very bad.
Old 28-Mar-2012, 21:26   #11
Regular

New Catalyst 12.3 released.
Old 28-Mar-2012, 22:28   #12
Davros
Naughty Boy!

fixes
Windows 7
- AMD Catalyst Control Center startup issues/delays have been resolved
- Elder Scrolls: Skyrim : No longer displays flickering and texture corruption with Anti-Aliasing enabled
- Alan Wake : A system crash is no longer experienced when running the game in DirectX 9 mode with Crossfire enabled.
- Far Cry 2 : A random system hang is no longer experienced when running the game at high in game setting.
- Tom Clancy HAWX : No longer crashes after task switching with MLAA (Morphological Anti-Aliasing) and Anti-Aliasing enabled.
- Furmark Benchmark : No longer crashes when launched in High Performance mode.
- Quake 4 : No longer display corruption after task switching when run in High Performance mode
- XPlane : Textures no longer exhibit flicker and corruption.

theyve looked at quake 4 so have they fixed the texture bug swayee discovered ?
Old 29-Mar-2012, 12:24   #13
Lightman

I'm going to find out tonight Davros
Lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Mar-2012, 17:55   #14
Broken Hope

The Skyrim fix also seems to have fixed WoW.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Mar-2012, 18:02   #15
Grall
Invisible Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. View Post
Sweet! Thanks for the heads-up! Gonna go try it out now.
Old 29-Mar-2012, 20:17   #16
Albuquerque
Red-headed step child

Cool, gonna grab this at home tonight...
Get some supplies <...> Within the next couple of months, you'll need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ 6/9 View Post
And riots are about to begin too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_8/5 View Post
food shortages and huge price jumps I predicted recently are becoming very real now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ View Post
If it turns out I was wrong, I'll admit being stupid
Albuquerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Mar-2012, 23:58   #17
Davros
Naughty Boy!

So i installed these and while playing a game i got a Atikmpag.sys BSOD - nice...
Old 30-Mar-2012, 01:55   #18
Grall
Invisible Member

What game was that?
Old 30-Mar-2012, 02:00   #19
Davros
Naughty Boy!

The Darkness 2
Old 30-Mar-2012, 05:00   #20
Grall
Invisible Member

And I got a general BSOD a couple hours ago while running Boinc with the Milkyway ATI-GPU accelerated project; I didn't see what piece of software exactly caused the crash, because lazy me has actually turned off bluescreens... It just reboots now, for convenience's sake.

It doesn't have to be the driver's fault, but it could concievably be. I've run Milkyway many, many hours without issues.

Btw Davros... How is The Darkness 2?
Old 30-Mar-2012, 13:03   #21
Richard
Mord's imaginary friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grall View Post
And I got a general BSOD a couple hours ago while running Boinc with the Milkyway ATI-GPU accelerated project; I didn't see what piece of software exactly caused the crash, because lazy me has actually turned off bluescreens... It just reboots now, for convenience's sake.
Generate a Reliability Report and look into the day it happened, you should see the blue screen event and be able to read the details.
Old 30-Mar-2012, 14:07   #22
Davros
Naughty Boy!

@ Grall, very average
according to 1 review the game is 4-6 hours long
but the reviewer loves it
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/201...s-2-review.htm

EDIT : its improved a fair bit as ive progressed
Old 30-Mar-2012, 15:23   #23
Babel-17

I bought a new PC and installed my HD 6870 in it.

By default, "Enable ITC processing" was checked. This disables the option to use Theater Mode for my Sony XBR 6. It produces the message from my HDTV, "Feature not available for current signal".

I got this same behavior on my older PC with this card. I never noticed it before the 12.2 Cat's but I can't swear to having tested it with previous drivers.

What does enabling it do, does it tell my HDTV that a request has been made to turn off Theater Mode/digital processing?

This also disables the ability to use any digital process options from my Sony's menu. I see the message "Feature not available for PC input" if I click on the greyed out "Advanced Settings". And in my Menu I see that my Sony has switched to "PC" instead of its usual "HDMI".

Is it that checking the box is actually the same as telling my HDTV to leave the signal alone? So, then, my videocard is doing the processing?

I just tested the AMD video quality settings by way of demo mode (the split screen), and the AMD video settings work with ITC processing either checked or unchecked.
Babel-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Mar-2012, 17:54   #24
Grall
Invisible Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Generate a Reliability Report and look into the day it happened, you should see the blue screen event and be able to read the details.
Ahh, yes. Didn't know how to do that, so I just used windows' help feature (which in win7 is fucking awesome); typed in "reliability report" and then just followed instructions basically. Here's what the BSOD said, if anyone can make heads or tails of it:

Code:
Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID:	1053

Extra information about the problem
BCCode:	3b
BCP1:	00000000C0000005
BCP2:	FFFFF880035F18C4
BCP3:	FFFFF8800ABFD0C0
BCP4:	0000000000000000
OS Version:	6_1_7601
Service Pack:	1_0
Product:	256_1
Bucket ID:	X64_0x3B_atikmdag+3b68c4
Server information:	8f1bb98f-3689-44de-8fd9-4822b946324f
...So yeah, that looks to be driver-related. Also had some stuttering in the framerate of team fortress 2, but I'm not sure if that was because of a laggy server connection, there seemed to be some latency issues as well (like, action stopping briefly at random intervals, me rubberbanding backwards or people jumping around short distances etc.)

I'll have to perform more research I think. At least I can't spot any texture flickering in Skyrim anymore, which is good.
Old 31-Mar-2012, 00:52   #25
Grall
Invisible Member

Also, presets are broken in this driver release. Thanks AMD... Not only did it take them roughly FIFTY YEARS to implement something as simple as presets, but it's not possible to edit them either, forcing me to delete them and remake from scratch. Again, FUCKING THANKS.

And Powertune isn't working for my secondary display adaptor either. This is something that started happening around the 11.12 or so. Whenever I change the powertune slider and hit apply, it resets back to default.

*Edit: Remaking my presets did not fix them. Switching with hotkeys doesn't work, nor is it possible by using the CCC interface either. Nothing happens. Annoying!

Last edited by Grall; 31-Mar-2012 at 01:00.
Grall is offline   Reply With Quote