Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 09-May-2011, 08:19   #101
CarstenS

Send a message via ICQ to CarstenS

That's precisely what I meant. No DP for example, crash in INT, but at least a score in Image Processing, which (the latter) wasn't the case with HD 5870 and older drivers.

edit: To be more precise: The combination of the rather oldish and not recently updated benchmark and AMDs (and partly Nvidias also) OpenCL drivers does not give a good indication of the performance one should be expecting from Cayman.

Last edited by CarstenS; 09-May-2011 at 18:09.
CarstenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-May-2011, 16:51   #102
trinibwoy
Meh

The histogram test shows the local atomics version running much faster than the global atomics on Fermi. I thought we had concluded that local atomics were still making a round trip through L2 and therefore shouldnt be any faster?
Old 16-May-2011, 22:50   #103
pcchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
The histogram test shows the local atomics version running much faster than the global atomics on Fermi. I thought we had concluded that local atomics were still making a round trip through L2 and therefore shouldnt be any faster?
Are you sure about this? Local atomics is in shared memory, so by definition it's in L1 cache, not L2 cache. Remember that local atomics only work within a block, so it shouldn't have to touch L2 cache.
pcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2011, 14:08   #104
trinibwoy
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcchen View Post
Are you sure about this? Local atomics is in shared memory, so by definition it's in L1 cache, not L2 cache. Remember that local atomics only work within a block, so it shouldn't have to touch L2 cache.
No I'm not sure as I haven't done the test myself but B3D's analysis found local and global atomics to be the same speed (actually locals were slower). Haven't seen any other evidence to dispute this besides the GPCBenchmark test.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/55/14
Old 17-May-2011, 21:08   #105
pcchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
No I'm not sure as I haven't done the test myself but B3D's analysis found local and global atomics to be the same speed (actually locals were slower). Haven't seen any other evidence to dispute this besides the GPCBenchmark test.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/55/14
Well, I don't know but my previous experiments on histogram also shows local atomics is faster than global atomics (local atomics version can do histogram at around 10GB/s on my GTX 460), but it's in CUDA. Of course, this still can't be completely ruled out as I didn't do any "maximum speed" test on atomics.
pcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Mar-2012, 19:47   #106
Man from Atlantis

i wonder GCN numbers
Old 18-Mar-2012, 22:38   #107
CarstenS

Send a message via ICQ to CarstenS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man from Atlantis View Post
i wonder GCN numbers
Lemme just quick-quote myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenS View Post
edit: To be more precise: The combination of the rather oldish and not recently updated benchmark and AMDs (and partly Nvidias also) OpenCL drivers does not give a good indication of the performance one should be expecting from Cayman.
This is also true for Tahiti. Some of the performance numbers in OpenCL Bench make sense, others just don't. Plus, the results vary wildly in some subtests from run to run.
CarstenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Mar-2012, 17:33   #108
Man from Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenS View Post
Lemme just quick-quote myself:

This is also true for Tahiti. Some of the performance numbers in OpenCL Bench make sense, others just don't. Plus, the results vary wildly in some subtests from run to run.
Thanks i wont ask for Kepler then

Tags
opencl, stream sdk 2.01