Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 06-Mar-2012, 22:53   #1
AnarchX

S3 Graphics VIA/S3Graphics gone D3D11 - Chrome 600 IGP

Quote:
You will also see EPIA-M920, VIA's first embedded board with DirectX 11 support. Featuring the latest integrated chipset VX11, VIA EPIA-M920 delivers smooth playback of HD videos with hardware decoding and encoding acceleration of H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV9 formats.
http://www.viaembedded.com/en/eDM/20...ation_VIA.html

Chrome 645 and Chrome 640:

http://savage3d.tistory.com/331

Some benchmarks: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...LI-JACOB724840

But still FSB chipset, maybe in some years they will build a SoC with Nano cores...
AnarchX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Mar-2012, 23:31   #2
fehu

I really want to care about epia
I'm following them from the start, but they never launched a good product and now they seem to be even more insignificant
fehu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Mar-2012, 23:34   #3
Davros
Regular

dx11, but those benchmarks are all opengl
some of them are q3 engined games and those numbers seem geforce 256 scores
Old 07-Mar-2012, 12:40   #4
ToTTenTranz

On OpenArena, it seems to score confortably above Zacate.

I wish VIA could get some low-cost design wins on netbooks. They would definitely surpass the Atom line in graphics power.
ToTTenTranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Mar-2012, 16:37   #5
Blazkowicz

on my smaller PC I have a VIA DX9 chipset, the VX900, that would do h264 but has no linux support.
a 2D-only open source driver (compiled from SVN) is all we have, not too great at plain full screen video.
and, the computer's clock is drifting.

but apart from that it's fine and was cheaper than an Atom. the glorious Asrock PV530, using an outdated VIA C7. it has a PCI slot and a PCIe slot, rather than choosing between either . ddr2 and ddr3 slots! there's an ITX one also.

I've always said, VIA is nice but why don't they seem to sell their products?
now they sell the PV 530. I can recommend it if you wish to deviate from the Atom path, I use mine as a simple NAS and ssh gateway, have a webserver installed but nothing on it (this stuff is too complex and boring for now I should try again with a lightweight server not apache). does a pretty decent secondary web browsing machine too.

I would like to see some Nano X2 and Nano X4 as it would make fine server hardware.
release a Nano X4 board with explicit ECC support, and a lot of bearded geeks will jump on it.

they use VX900 on some of boards with the X2 I believe, well it's good enough for a basic VGA even though the features can be wasted

regarding the new DX11 chipset I guess they shoot for compliance over performance. the poor C7 is i686 and supports sse 2. I'm sure the sse 2 is pointless except for the welcome binary compatibility.

Last edited by Blazkowicz; 07-Mar-2012 at 17:22.
Blazkowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Mar-2012, 17:41   #6
ToTTenTranz

I don't get why OEMs practically dropped VN1000, which had a DX10.1 Chrome 520 GPU and kept selling systems with the old VX900 instead.
At the time, it would've been a nice competition to nVidia ION and AMD's 880G, back in 2010.

This EPIA M920 is a two-chip solution that should be at least competitive with Brazos and Atom.
Maybe OEMs are afraid of driver stability?
ToTTenTranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Sep-2012, 09:28   #7
AnarchX

Quote:
Mit dem VX11 hält nun auch DirectX11 Grafik Einzug in unsere EPIA Embedded Plattformen und bietet so gerade für Gaming-Anwendungen eine deutliche Leistungssteigerung bei reduziertem Stromverbrauch.
http://www.tomshardware.de/VIA-EPIA-...-241089-3.html

He is talking about significant performance improvements for gaming application, while power consumption is reduced.
AnarchX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Sep-2012, 17:50   #8
Davros
Regular

A four lane pci-e slot, im running a gtx260 in one so its not as bad as it sounds

Tags
s3 graphics