Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 21-Feb-2012, 00:17   #426
PowerK

Making of Alan Wake feature on edge.
http://www.edge-online.com/features/making-alan-wake

I'll highlight this
Quote:
As the team built its sandbox prototype, though, it was apparent that something was missing. The freedom to go anywhere robbed the story of its purpose. As any good horror novelist will tell you, the slow creep of dread requires careful pacing. When players can abandon the search for their wife and go off logging instead, its hard to maintain the requisite atmosphere.

Matias, CEO of Remedy says thanks to the fans. That's nice.
http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7943
PowerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2012, 03:35   #427
Moloch
God of Wicked Games

Send a message via ICQ to Moloch

Dumb question, is the screen supposed to fade to black randomly? Starting to annoy me, it stays for a maybe a sec or two, then fades back.
Old 21-Feb-2012, 03:52   #428
John Reynolds
Ecce homo

Send a message via MSN to John Reynolds

Finished the game earlier tonight. I want more, so I ordered the paperback novel (4 fanboy stars on Amazon).
Voodoo 1 Voodoo 2 SLI Voodoo 3 3000 Voodoo 5 GeForce 3 Ti200 GeForce 4 Ti4400 Radeon 9700 Pro Radeon 9800 Pro GeForce 6800 GT Radeon X1800 XT Radeon X1900 XT Radeon X1950 XTX GeForce 8800 GTX Radeon HD 4870 GeForce GTX 285 Radeon 5870 Geforce GTX 470 Geforce GTX 570 Geforce GTX 670 GeForce GTX 770
John Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2012, 17:55   #429
PowerK

Patch info
http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7978

I like this part.
Quote:
Hopefully add a free camera for those who want to explore the world.
Old 23-Feb-2012, 16:31   #430
PowerK

Patch released.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2561120
Old 23-Feb-2012, 16:37   #431
Silent_Buddha
Regular

I find...

Quote:
Unofficial support for running the game in lower resolutions than 1024x768 using command line options
Interesting. That seems to possibly indicate a lot of people playing Alan Wake attempting to do so on low end video cards (budget/integrated). Then again, would people on low end video cards even know about the new command line options? Or even what a command line option is?

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2012, 17:27   #432
ToTTenTranz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Buddha View Post
I find...

Interesting. That seems to possibly indicate a lot of people playing Alan Wake attempting to do so on low end video cards (budget/integrated). Then again, would people on low end video cards even know about the new command line options? Or even what a command line option is?

Regards,
SB

I don't know exactly why they did it, but custom resolutions are really handy for something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJIYmYlh38Y
ToTTenTranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2012, 21:12   #433
Richard
Mord's imaginary friend

When the PC version was (re) announced I said I'd only pick it up for 10 euros but I'm seriously considering picking up the collector's edition which costs 21 euros over here with the current sale. I'm liking how well Remedy can eat crow and American Nightmare being an XBOX exclusive nonwithstanding (probably part of the original Alan Wake publishing deal) it's looking likely Remedy's next game will see a near simultaneous PC release.

Anyone want to talk me out of it? I won't be able to play it for at least two months (have L.A. Noire waiting first) so do you think the price will drop before I get around to it? Is the game too short for 20 euros? Thanks in advance.
Old 23-Feb-2012, 22:00   #434
AlNets
A bit netty

How much time do you spend playing the scenery? It is quite beautiful afterall if you've got the GPU horsepower.
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2012, 22:06   #435
swaaye
Entirely Suboptimal

I tried the game on my old 8800GT at work. It runs ok on medium quality but yeah this game is pretty demanding. It's probably not far off of Crysis.
swaaye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2012, 22:42   #436
pjbliverpool
B3D Scallywag

Send a message via MSN to pjbliverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaaye View Post
I tried the game on my old 8800GT at work. It runs ok on medium quality but yeah this game is pretty demanding. It's probably not far off of Crysis.
It'd be interesting to see how it performs at console settings. with the new patch its even possible to replicate the super low resolution of the console version!

8086 8Mhz -> Pentium 90 -> K6-2 233Mhz -> Athlon 'Thunderbird' 1Ghz -> AthlonXP 2400+ 2Ghz -> Core2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz -> Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
pjbliverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2012, 22:49   #437
swaaye
Entirely Suboptimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbliverpool View Post
It'd be interesting to see how it performs at console settings. with the new patch its even possible to replicate the super low resolution of the console version!
I'm sure the 8800GT would rock the console settings because straight medium quality at 1680x1050 is already quite smooth. I imagine 60 fps no problem.
Old 23-Feb-2012, 23:16   #438
kyleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
American Nightmare being an XBOX exclusive nonwithstanding (probably part of the original Alan Wake publishing deal)
Seems you are wrong on both counts there. I played the demo for American Nightmare last night, and almost bought it, but after Googling up that Eurogamer article I decided to hold out for the PC version.

As for your plan to buy the PC version, I'd say its worth the price.
kyleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2012, 19:49   #439
swaaye
Entirely Suboptimal

It looks like the patch has fixed the NVflicker trees along with the weird memory-leak-like intense slowdown I was seeing after a time on both 560 Ti and 8800GT.
Old 24-Feb-2012, 20:01   #440
Richard
Mord's imaginary friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb View Post
Seems you are wrong on both counts there. I played the demo for American Nightmare last night, and almost bought it, but after Googling up that Eurogamer article I decided to hold out for the PC version.
GTK, thanks. Not surprised Microsoft is still trying to get devs to skip the PC version even if for a limited time.
Old 01-Mar-2012, 15:47   #441
suryad

I usually go to Amazon and get my games shipped from there but it seems that this time I am only able to find downloads and no media. I happen to like media...is the game only available in download form?
suryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Mar-2012, 17:06   #442
Kaotik
Drunk Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kaotik

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryad View Post
I usually go to Amazon and get my games shipped from there but it seems that this time I am only able to find downloads and no media. I happen to like media...is the game only available in download form?
IIRC media version is coming at some point, but it was said that it will initially be download only
I was betrayed by my own beliefs...
Kaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Mar-2012, 19:30   #443
Silent_Buddha
Regular

At a guess, since the PC version appears to be self published by Remedy (at least the Steam version is), then it's entirely possible that the proceeds from the DD version will help fund the production of physical copies of the game.

So I'm guessing that the faster it sells on Steam, the faster we'll eventually see a physical retail release.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Mar-2012, 19:44   #444
pjbliverpool
B3D Scallywag

Send a message via MSN to pjbliverpool

Tomorrow according to Amazon UK

8086 8Mhz -> Pentium 90 -> K6-2 233Mhz -> Athlon 'Thunderbird' 1Ghz -> AthlonXP 2400+ 2Ghz -> Core2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz -> Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
pjbliverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Mar-2012, 00:42   #445
suryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbliverpool View Post
Tomorrow according to Amazon UK

woot!
Old 05-Mar-2012, 13:32   #446
tongue_of_colicab

I'm at chapter 4 now, really like the game. Kinda gives me a Max Payne feeling. However, I think some of the battles are very cheap. Alan is about as fast as 90 year old. Running is slow and you are tired very fast, changing weapons takes so long that there is more than enough time to actually think about it, think some more, than wonder if something is going to happen, and than finally you changed your weapon just to get cut down by 3 enemies all dealing double damage and now way to do anything about it because you get hit from 3 sides and doding really only works with enemies coming from one side. It's just stupid that some parts of the game require you to run around in the dark with no weapons with more than 5 enemies. You really can't do anything. The only thing you can do is die a couple of times to figure out if there are any items you might want and what is the shortest route to take. Once you know, just rush there because you can't do anything else. Very cheap and it pisses me off. Especially around chapter 4 it's starting to get ridiculous that you have to die 5 times just to pass a area because of cheap level design.

It really hurts the game because the story is great, controls are good (apart from everything being dead slow), game looks great and all but the some enemy encouters just piss me off.
Old 05-Mar-2012, 18:20   #447
suryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongue_of_colicab View Post
I'm at chapter 4 now, really like the game. Kinda gives me a Max Payne feeling. However, I think some of the battles are very cheap. Alan is about as fast as 90 year old. Running is slow and you are tired very fast, changing weapons takes so long that there is more than enough time to actually think about it, think some more, than wonder if something is going to happen, and than finally you changed your weapon just to get cut down by 3 enemies all dealing double damage and now way to do anything about it because you get hit from 3 sides and doding really only works with enemies coming from one side. It's just stupid that some parts of the game require you to run around in the dark with no weapons with more than 5 enemies. You really can't do anything. The only thing you can do is die a couple of times to figure out if there are any items you might want and what is the shortest route to take. Once you know, just rush there because you can't do anything else. Very cheap and it pisses me off. Especially around chapter 4 it's starting to get ridiculous that you have to die 5 times just to pass a area because of cheap level design.

It really hurts the game because the story is great, controls are good (apart from everything being dead slow), game looks great and all but the some enemy encouters just piss me off.
Isn't the guy some kind of an author or something? Maybe that is the reason they made him deliberately slow in the game. I wouldn't expect an author to rock out and M16 and mow down some baddied
Old 05-Mar-2012, 18:55   #448
AlNets
A bit netty

Yeah, he's no trooper.
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Mar-2012, 23:32   #449
Richard
Mord's imaginary friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryad View Post
I wouldn't expect an author to rock out and M16 and mow down some baddied