Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 29-Aug-2011, 22:31   #51
Beef Stallmer
Naughty Boy!

I heard a rumor during the games com that they found a way to make halo render in HD, native 720p that is. While I highly doubt bungie is capable of doing that, it turns out that bungie is not even involved anymore. I hope this means no more sub-hd halo
Btw they could have also meant halo4 but i didn't ask because the guy was already breaching his NDA.
Beef Stallmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2011, 02:34   #52
AlNets
A bit netty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Stallmer View Post
I heard a rumor...
Got a link?

Quote:
While I highly doubt bungie is capable of doing that,
It's always a game of trade-offs... Implementing tiling just for a res bump from 1152x720 to 1280 just isn't worth the performance deficit. A lot of devs do this, so there's no reason to single out Bungie. >_>
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2011, 02:39   #53
AlNets
A bit netty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru View Post
So yeah, I really hope 343 don't leave out such stupid plot holes.
And leave out the bunghole instead. ;p (Cortana level)
Old 30-Aug-2011, 02:44   #54
NRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
And leave out the bunghole instead. ;p (Cortana level)
Goddamn I hated that level! Looked like one giant large intestine (and played like one too). I wonder if some designer actually thought "Hey! Wouldn't it be cool if we made the player fight inside of an asshole!"
NRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2011, 03:16   #55
AlNets
A bit netty

Yo dawg, I heard you like assholes...

Well come on, MC and Arbiter take down the Covenant and the Flood. Or maybe they're just a couple of pricks...
Old 30-Aug-2011, 10:44   #56
Beef Stallmer
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
Got a link?

It's always a game of trade-offs... Implementing tiling just for a res bump from 1152x720 to 1280 just isn't worth the performance deficit. A lot of devs do this, so there's no reason to single out Bungie. >_>
I don't have a link, I got it from the source itself (through my own ears), but because I have this guy on Facebook (so you can probably find him), and because he is under NDA, I cannot say much more, I can only say that I posted the rumor is the wrong halo tread (hint hint )

It had to do with the tone mapping to create an HDR-like image; the "whites" will rendered in a lower precision, but the end result under most circumstances will be indistinguishable from the old HDR-method, all while resulting in a 720p image without tiling. for the fine details: they will cover this on the next GDC.
The preview trailer was rendered offline though, and didn't use in-game assets, but the visual look will be the same I'm told. So yeah, it will be really amazing.
Beef Stallmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2011, 11:01   #57
N_B

Seems dubious considering Halo 4 probably isn't based on Bungie's Halo tech...
N_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2011, 12:49   #58
Kameradschaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_B View Post
Seems dubious considering Halo 4 probably isn't based on Bungie's Halo tech...
They already confirmed that they are using Bungie's tech as a base:

Quote:
IGN: Can you talk about what game engine Halo 4 will use?

Spencer: 343 obviously has partnered closely with Bungie for a while. We had been working with them on Halo: Reach and map packs. We started with the code base from Halo, so it's not something we had to re-roll from the beginning. [Chief Technology Officer] David Wu and the team behind the core engine tech inside of 343 have done a lot of work. Halo has always been a unique game with huge outdoor environments but also playing indoor environments at the same time. The technology base isn't 100 percent new, but a ton of work has gone into it by 343.
Which may be disappointing for some but pretty logical if you think that this is most likely be the last Halo game on the 360 - they should work on their next gen engine than spend time building a new engine based on the 360 for just one game.

Of course we still don't know anything about what improvements/changes 343 will bring to the Halo engine - an FXAA implementation alone will benefit the IQ a lot even if the resolution stays the same as Reach.

Sorry for the off-topic.
Kameradschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2011, 16:14   #59
Rangers
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRP View Post
Goddamn I hated that level! Looked like one giant large intestine (and played like one too). I wonder if some designer actually thought "Hey! Wouldn't it be cool if we made the player fight inside of an asshole!"
Just another reason Halo 3 was a huge disappointment to me And one of the biggest reasons.

Luckily pretty much every game in the Halo series and spinoffs BESIDES 3 has been pretty darn good to great. Well, I'm not through with Halo 2 but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

BTW OT but after playing 3 hours of Halo 2 the other day and becoming fully accustomed to the graphics (and maybe not really playing much 360 at all the last month or two helped) and then throwing in Reach, wow, the generational graphics difference was almost stunning.
Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2011, 17:12   #60
AlNets
A bit netty

Lies, Halo 3 is just Halo 2 HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameradschaft View Post
They already confirmed that they are using Bungie's tech as a base:

Which may be disappointing for some but pretty logical if you think that this is most likely be the last Halo game on the 360 - they should work on their next gen engine than spend time building a new engine based on the 360 for just one game.

Of course we still don't know anything about what improvements/changes 343 will bring to the Halo engine - an FXAA implementation alone will benefit the IQ a lot even if the resolution stays the same as Reach.

Sorry for the off-topic.
Well, no need to reinvent Forge or 4 player co-op for instance. The engine is already packing great stuff...
Old 30-Aug-2011, 20:46   #61
Turok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Stallmer View Post
It had to do with the tone mapping to create an HDR-like image; the "whites" will rendered in a lower precision, but the end result under most circumstances will be indistinguishable from the old HDR-method, all while resulting in a 720p image without tiling. for the fine details: they will cover this on the next GDC.
Uh... That's what Bungie already did in regard to Halo 3 to Reach.
Turok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2011, 21:05   #62
AlNets
A bit netty

Indeed... Old news.