Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 13-Dec-2010, 06:41   #551
patsu
Regular

http://kotaku.com/5712495/red-dead-r...up-at-the-vgas

Quote:
Red Dead Redemption was thebig winner, with four awards, led by Game of the Year. It also collected Vector Monkeys for Best Song (by José González, pictured), Best Original Score, and Best DLC, for the Undead Nightmare extension.

Quote:
Game of the Year
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)

Studio of the Year
BioWare

Best Xbox 360 Game
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts / BioWare)

Best PS3 Game
God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / SCE Studios Santa Monica)

Best Wii Game
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo / Nintendo)

Best PC Game
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Blizzard Entertainment / Blizzard Entertainment)

Best Handheld Game
God of War: Ghost of Sparta (Sony Computer Entertainment / Ready At Dawn Studios)

Best Shooter
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision / Treyarch)

Best Action/Adventure Game
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal)

Best Role Playing Game
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts / BioWare)

Best Multiplayer
Halo: Reach (Microsoft / Bungie Studios)

Best Individual Sports Game
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 (Electronic Arts / EA Tiburon)

Best Team Sports Game
NBA 2K11 (2K Sports / Visual Concepts)

Best Driving Game
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts / Criterion Games)

Best Music Game
Rock Band 3 (MTV Games / Harmonix)

Best Soundtrack
DJ Hero 2 (Activision / FreeStyleGames)

Best Song In A Game
Far Away by José González (Red Dead Redemption)

Best Original Score
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)

Best Graphics
God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / SCE Studios Santa Monica)

Best Adapted Video Game
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal / Ubisoft Chengdu)

Best Performance by a Human Male
Neil Patrick Harris as Peter Parker / Amazing Spider-Man (Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions / Activision)

Best Performance by a Human Female
Tricia Helfer as Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty / Blizzard Entertainment)

Best Downloadable Game
Costume Quest (THQ / Double Fine Productions)

Best Downloadable Content
Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)

Best Independent Game
Limbo (PlayDead)

Most Anticipated Game
Portal 2 (Valve / Valve)
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jul-2011, 18:14   #552
RancidLunchmeat

More Red Dead Redemption DLC?

Yup! And this time, it's FREE!

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/27/re...-for-septembe/

Unfortunately, we're not getting the Free Roam / Undead Nightmare crossover that I'm sure everybody is dying for. But still, more RDR is a good thing. Free makes it a great thing!
Old 28-Jul-2011, 18:37   #553
AzBat
Agent of the Bat

Ooh that looks good! And you know I like free. I'll be ready to play some when I get back.

Tommy McClain
AzBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jul-2011, 12:31   #554
goonergaz

woot, this may push me to finally get the plat
goonergaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2012, 18:14   #555
Cyan

I am in love with this game.

I purchased it like a year and a half ago, or less, I can't recall exactly, but I hadn't played it at all. Maybe an hour at most.

So finally I saddled up and what can I say, I am impressed. Rockstar won certain respect on my part, I always thought of them as being a low class company.

The game is a lot of fun, and taking into account I am a big fan of the Wild West theme, just like my parents and my siblings are.....

Another thing they got right are the horses. They are so life-like, it's amazing!

They recreated the muscles incredibly well, they are so believable. I have to admit that I've never been a fan of horses, not that I disliked them at all, I just didn't care much.

Then there are the different breeds. Finding the top three breeds of the game is going to be my bane! I can literally spend a couple of hours in one sitting just looking for them, in order to pursue and tame them.

In the recent past I personally had a breed of a different animal with only 200 adults of that particular breed in existence, and I love those kind of things.

So galloping the American plains looking after the American Standarbred, the Hungarian half -my favourite of the top three- and the Kentucky Saddler is so thrilling, I can't stop doing that. I just found the Kentucky Saddler for now, and they are very rare and difficult to find, as rare as hen's teeth.

The setting, the atmosphere, the different animals and places, just completely separate the game from other open-world titles.

While I love cars, we finally don't have cars in a game. Having horses or mules as a means of transport adds a new dimension to the game.

Since they are "living" beings you develop an emotional connection to them. You give them apples to keep them happy, they are vulnerable, not only to predators but to people shooting at you, or can run off a hill because a mistake of yours.

When you find your favourite horse and if he dies, it can be quite heart wrenching in gaming terms, whatever that means. I have to say that I care a lot about my Kentucky Saddler. With a car in games, however, you don't care, it's mostly like "just exploded darn car and go to hell", because you don't have to care about them as with a living being.

The multiplayer is also very fun, original, and unique.

So yeah, it makes me so happy to play this amazing game. I want more games like this Rockstar, if you please.
Powered by ATi. Sophie Ellis Bextor is sheer love! Laura Jackson is the most beautiful woman who has ever existed!http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/AXaeEdu0FbQ/maxresdefault.jpg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSBTC1HHN-E Heroes of Might and Magic: They aren't only games, they are passions. And feelings.

Last edited by Cyan; 30-Aug-2012 at 18:21.
Cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Aug-2012, 02:14   #556
AzBat
Agent of the Bat

It's probably my favorite game of all time. It has it all: great graphics, large open world to explore, awesome immersion from sound & music & one of the best stories that make you feel for the characters & I agree about the horses too. Just wished there was more story to play. Guess I'll have to wait for RDR2.

Tommy McClain
Old 31-Aug-2012, 14:33   #557
Sigfried1977

I really loved the beginning and the end, but I thought it dragged a lot during the middle section. That's where it went from well written and compelling characters, like the Macfarlanes, to your typical Houser-written, stereotypic buffoons.
Sigfried1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Sep-2012, 04:29   #558
Cyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBat View Post
It's probably my favorite game of all time. It has it all: great graphics, large open world to explore, awesome immersion from sound & music & one of the best stories that make you feel for the characters & I agree about the horses too. Just wished there was more story to play. Guess I'll have to wait for RDR2.

Tommy McClain
Yes, I am loving it to death. One of the best games ever. Who cares about other games for now. They are some time away. Right now I am playing RDR and that's all i care about. I am immerse in the spirit of the Old West like never before.

Barroom brawls, horseback chases, duels at highnoon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigfried1977 View Post
I really loved the beginning and the end, but I thought it dragged a lot during the middle section. That's where it went from well written and compelling characters, like the Macfarlanes, to your typical Houser-written, stereotypic buffoons.
Sure there are some weird things happening in RDR, but aside from some characters in particular, others are very believable. In real life people can be so suprising, you are modelled to believe that people will react in a certain way but in the end they can surprise you many times.

Some of the characters are a bit over the top, be it either for artistic or dramatic reasons, but still enjoyable for me. John Marston is pretty human, I think. His voice actor is top notch, imho.

There is a particular saying here based on Wild West movies which isn't necessarily always true in the case of RDR, but it can happen quite often in the game during pursuits.

People made this saying theirs here, and they often say about something that is slow....;

"It is slower than the bad guy's horse".

It's a very common, universal saying here where I live -probably based on the horseback chases where the heroe was chasing the antagonist- and sometimes it is true in the game too.
Powered by ATi. Sophie Ellis Bextor is sheer love! Laura Jackson is the most beautiful woman who has ever existed!http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/AXaeEdu0FbQ/maxresdefault.jpg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSBTC1HHN-E Heroes of Might and Magic: They aren't only games, they are passions. And feelings.
Old 05-Sep-2012, 10:01   #559
Arwin
Now Officially a Top 10 Poster

Should be able to download the game tonight ... (Playstation Plus freebie)
Arwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Sep-2012, 14:31   #560
BoardBonobo
Infraction Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin View Post
Ooh, you're in for a treat. I absolutely loved RDR, between that Dragons Dogma, KoA, and Skyrim I feel very spoiled this generation. And very tired !><!
BoardBonobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Sep-2012, 22:26   #561
Cyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin View Post
Fantastic choice!.... it's one of the best games of this generation, maybe one of the best in quite a few generations, imho.

Here are some useful tips to get a newbie going. (maybe it was because I wasn't familiarized with Rockstar games, but it took me some time to get used to the game so they can be very helpful for others too)

- If you find yourself without a mission to play, go to where the initials of some characters are; B -from Bonnie MacFarlanne- for instance, and so on.

- The map is quite large. However, if you know how it's very easy to move around the world of RDR. Press START, select MAP and press the Cross button on the place you want to go. Want to pay a visit to Bonnie? Look for the B around the map and press Cross on the B icon.

A red line guiding you where to go will appear in the radar, bottom left. This is very useful to learn the map and go to different locations not to get lost in such a huge world.

- I didn't do this because I was a beginner, but looking back, I would complete Bonnie MacFarlane missions first until I had the lasso.

You cannot get it before that point -unless you pay for it as DLC which isn't necessary at all-, and it is pretty neccessary for horse breaking. It's also neccessary to capture bounties alive if you choose to do so, or tying up criminals.

If you Hogtie a criminal without killing them, not only they pay you a lot more money, but also your Fame level increases more than if you kill them.

- When lassoing a horse remember to press and hold the left trigger in order to keep the target lassoed.

- In duels don't kill the guy. Just shoot him in the hand where he is holding the pistol. This increases your Fame a lot more than killing him.

- John Marston is one of my favourite characters in a videogame ever, but he doesn't know how to swim at all. So don't get him into the water. This is not Skyrim or Oblivion, and if you go into the water with him not being much of a swimmer, he dies. You can wade at will though, but if Marston gets too deep, he always drowns.

- Keep the golden stallion, which is one of the best horses in the game -a Kentucky Saddler- you get in the Bonnie mission.

- Buy the Bandolier and the Improved Campsite. To Save in this game use the menu -Select button-, go to Kit and press Cross on the Campsite. I didn't know at first but it's very important. You can also save at any time by using a horse deed.

- Buying the bandanna in Thieves' Landing can help you a lot if you do something bad, or if you are involved in a mission where you rob someone or something, which can happen in certain missions unexpectedly even if your character is good.

- There are quite a few DLC freebies. Outlaws to the End Co-Op Mission Pack and a few others.

The Undead Nightmare expansion has amazing scores, too, although it's not free. I have it but I haven't played it yet so I can't tell. Can't wait to play it!

- When you are breaking and taming wild horses, move the left stick right and left alternatively. It works wonders for me. If not, there is another method. Look at John Marston feet, if they are tilted well to the right, hold left until he looks balanced --same when his legs are tilted to the left, although you just have to hold right. You can easily get the hang of it, I think.

- Don't accidentally bump at people or lawmen at top speed while on horseback.

- If you are lost and confused during the Treasure Hunter missions, there are youtube videos that can help you to find the treasure location.

- In randon missions where someone is getting hung and you ride out to help, use Dead Eye to cut the rope hanging them. You need to be quick because they don't last long when hanging.

- I play the game on Expert mode (100% manual aim), but use Dead Eye if you get bumrushed by a pack of wolves, a cougar, ect, because if they knock you down... you are pretty much done.

Not a big fan of Dead Eye myself, but it can be useful on those "impossible" situations, or when rebels attack a train, things like that.

- When you get to Mexico talk to certain person first (head towards the LR in the map), he might teach you a new useful technique (thx Sarah for the tip)

- Give apples to your horse and treat him well. It's worth it. You can see the result if some malicious stranger knocks or pulls you off your horse and tries to ride off with it. If your horse is loyal to you and someone tries to rob it, just whistle and wait.

Trust me on this one.

- Save often. Be it either in a town, city or in the wilds. Move off the road, make campsite, and save. If not, sometimes it can get frustrating to play for quite a while, hunting or collecting herbs, completing side quests, etc and have some wolves, a cougar or bear taking you out, making you lose all that progress.

There would be more but those are the most important I can remember from the top of my head. The manual of this game stinks, so I think these tips are also more helpful because of that.

p.s. I found the Hungarian-half!! Finally. I am going to name it Snow. Only the amazing American Standardbred to go...
Old 06-Sep-2012, 06:24   #562
Billy Idol

I agree with you Cyan. I played RDR on X360. It is my first open world Rockstar game which I played through. One of the best games I played (except the one intro mission where you must help shooting animals, the animations are to freaking realistic...poor animals!!) and I thought back then (did not try it out since then) that this game has some of the best graphics!

So Arwin, have fun
Old 06-Sep-2012, 08:47   #563
RenegadeRocks

I have had both RDR and Undead Noghtmare since xmas last year. Played a bit of RSR and loved it, absolutely loved it and yes, it is my R* game that I loved, can't get in GTAs at all.

But I lost my saves when my ps3 died , since then haven't got muself to restart the game. The biggest culprit is BF3 and the ps+ games, they are just too many of ps+ games (Dues Ex takes the cake) and I am hooked to the MP of BF3. So, all my gaming time gets spent there !

Guess, I should make time for RDR again, but with Armoured Kill out now, its gonna be difficult as my curiosity won't let me lpay anything else till I have seen all areas of the 4 new maps.
The awesome trailer on youtube !
Renegade's Muse !
RenegadeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Sep-2012, 17:56   #564
nightshade
Interwebz Hijacker !

I've had Undead Nightmare for more than a year now, I simply got bored of it and never finished it.
Old 06-Sep-2012, 18:41   #565
RancidLunchmeat

Bored of Undead Nightmare? Wow, I found that to be one of the best ever zombie games. The campaign is just as well written as the main storyline, IMO.

Undead Overrun, on the other hand, has its moments but I'm not really a "horde mode" kinda of guy.

And, for all of you playing RDR for the first time, don't forget to go jump into a multiplayer poker game! Most fun you can have without hookers and cocaine.
Old 06-Sep-2012, 20:07   #566
joker454

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancidLunchmeat View Post
And, for all of you playing RDR for the first time, don't forget to go jump into a multiplayer poker game! Most fun you can have without hookers and cocaine.
Man been ages since I played it but I loved RDR! One of my favorite games ever and a great ending. I used to play poker in game quite a bit, was a good way to just chill, although I got caught cheating sometimes and had to shoot the other players in a duel to regain my honor. So it goes. Normally I have no interest in westerns but this game just really grabbed me. Really hoping RDR 2 is on the horizon for the new machines.
joker454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Sep-2012, 03:13   #567
AzBat
Agent of the Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancidLunchmeat View Post
Most fun you can have without hookers and cocaine.
LOL <shakes head>

Tommy McClain
Old 09-Sep-2012, 23:03   #568
Arwin
Now Officially a Top 10 Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Idol View Post
I agree with you Cyan. I played RDR on X360. It is my first open world Rockstar game which I played through. One of the best games I played (except the one intro mission where you must help shooting animals, the animations are to freaking realistic...poor animals!!) and I thought back then (did not try it out since then) that this game has some of the best graphics!

So Arwin, have fun
Well, it took its sweet time downloading, and Zen Pinball 2 has proved to be quite a bit of a distraction too, but I finally started the game tonight, and my goodness, it is really, really good. I like it much, much better than any of the GTA games so far ... everything is so much better spaced out so far. And the environments and lighting are very well done. I never really got much into any of the GTA games so far, but RDR is very, very nice.

I took advice and went back to Bonny's land after helping out the Marshall, and I can see that it would have been tempting to do a lot of other stuff in the meantime, but I think I'll enjoy my stay around that wonderful little farm ...
Arwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-2012, 13:29   #569
Cyan

Here are some of the best western movies songs ever to add to the atmosphere! (I only miss the Rio Bravo song, "My Rifle, My Pony, and Me" which I loved, in the video). Enjoy:

My name is Calamity.
Old 11-Sep-2012, 05:02   #570
AzBat
Agent of the Bat

Actually the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack is perfect for the game. I wouldn't want to listen to anything else. Here's the YouTube playlist...

Here's the behind the scenes/making of for the soundtrack(spoiler free)...

Tommy McClain
Old 11-Sep-2012, 18:49   #571
Cyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBat View Post
Actually the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack is perfect for the game. I wouldn't want to listen to anything else. Here's the YouTube playlist...

Here's the behind the scenes/making of for the soundtrack(spoiler free)...

Tommy McClain
Love the last video especially, thanks for sharing. When you see something good, it's DAMN good...

The initial seconds of the video show the radiant beauty of RDR.
Old 12-Sep-2012, 04:22   #572
AzBat
Agent of the Bat

You're welcome. It's a favorite of mine too. I had shared it before, but considering you're LTTP figured you might not have seen it the first go round. BTW, I recommend going back through the thread. There's quite a few good videos & other content you might have missed.

Tommy McClain
Old 12-Sep-2012, 10:37   #573
Sigfried1977

It's odd. I hate the Western movie genre (except for Young Guns, but that's nostalgia). I don't like horses. I don't like Cowboys. I don't like guns. I do like the music, but that's it really. I still really enjoyed RDR, though.
Sigfried1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2012, 16:49   #574
goonergaz

Don't like westerns.
Don't like open world.
Got bored of GTA games after a couple of hours.

BEST_GAME_EVER!

I hope and pray for another RDR...it's just a magical gaming experience and I envy those starting out on it now.

BTW, the disk game saves work with the digital version - so it's nice to have it without needing to put a disk in
Old 20-Sep-2012, 22:47   #575
antwan
Naughty Boy!

I got the 360 version from a friend, and it is like I am playing a new game! It appears much sharper and pleasing to the eye. I didn't finish it on PS3, but it seems like the frame rate problems are gone, while having better graphics at the same time. I think I will finish it this time

The developers should but a "lead on 360"/"lead on ps3" sticker on their games, so you know which version to buy if you have all consoles