Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 02-Sep-2010, 22:20   #1
Mr. Domino

Default Outland (XBLA/PSN - Housemarque title)

It looks like Dead Nation wasn't the only thing they were working on:

Quote:
Super Stardust HD was an early favorite PlayStation Network game of ours. Its developer, Housemarque, has been busy prepping the zombie blaster Dead Nation for PSN. But that's not all it's working on -- it's also developing Outland with Ubisoft for both PSN and Xbox Live Arcade. An action platformer with the polarity mechanics of Ikaruga, Outland will be unveiled this weekend at PAX. But I have the early word on it for you right now, because you're special.

Outland can best be described as a cross between retro platformers like Prince of Persia or Out of This World and the color-switching of shoot 'em up Ikaruga. You control an acrobatic fellow as he explores a lush, dense jungle. It's a 2D game but there is a great sense of depth in the background with swaying branches and colorful wildlife. The animation for all the characters is really terrific.

Our hero can switch between light and dark forms, an ability he'll need to exploit in order to murder the local monsters and avoid sprays of bullets. Just like in Ikaruga, he'll take damage from opposite-colored bullets but will be impervious to those of the same polarity. So if there is a platform you want to get to but it's being blocked by a stream of white bullets, just change to white and you can pass through unharmed. There are instances where you must rapidly switch back and forth to move through multi-colored sprays of bullets, much like Ikaruga.

When it comes to battling enemies, you can only harm those of the opposite color. So you'll need to be white in order to defeat a black spider. You'll begin with an energy sword but eventually learn other abilities like a slide attack and an uppercut.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1117769p1.html

Screens:

Mr. Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Sep-2010, 22:40   #2
Scott_Arm
Regular

Another awesome looking download title. Seems like devs are starting to make really high quality downloaders. I love it.
Scott_Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2010, 03:22   #3
joker454

Yeah it's been an awesome year for downloadable games. Most of the games I'm playing this year are from xblive arcade/indie. I'll be adding this game to the list.
joker454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2010, 04:43   #4
RenegadeRocks

! No, No, I am not overreacting! That is too beautiful !

Great ! If that runs at 1080p, it will be the most beautiful game to grace my PSP. Love it when devs go arty rather than gory. Love it ! !
The awesome trailer on youtube !
Renegade's Muse !
RenegadeRocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Sep-2010, 07:48   #5
Billy Idol

Wow this indeed looks great and special - will keep track of it.
Old 29-Apr-2011, 19:57   #6
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct

Anyone try it out? I just got the trial. Seems like a quality title. I'm really digging the art. Even the menu & music is pretty slick.
AlNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Apr-2011, 21:31   #7
BoardBonobo
Infraction Magnet

For some strange reason I'm getting Shadow of the Beast vibes here!
BoardBonobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Apr-2011, 21:50   #8
RobertR1
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
Anyone try it out? I just got the trial. Seems like a quality title. I'm really digging the art. Even the menu & music is pretty slick.
I played the demo and bought it. It played amazingly well, to me. If you pick it up, hit me up for co-op.
Old 29-Apr-2011, 23:35   #9
Arwin
Now Officially a Top 10 Poster

Was going to on PSN but well ... will probably try the 360 version this weekend instead.
Arwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2011, 11:29   #10
Rangers
Regular

IGN very much liked it 9.0

Personally I wont be suckered into dropping 10-15 on another XBLA game I'll end up never playing, something I've done with regularity this gen. Especially since it also has metroid style exploring, which usually confuses me.
Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2011, 15:30   #11
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
I played the demo and bought it. It played amazingly well, to me. If you pick it up, hit me up for co-op.
Yeah, I just started playing an hour ago... can't seem to put it down. The loading being two seconds between areas probably has something to do with that. It's just really fun platforming with the red/blue mechanic. Plus, I'm just taking lots of time trying to find the stashes of coins or health upgrades. Awesome art & music presentation.

So I came across a co-op challenge thing. I haven't quit the game yet, but it sounded like you'd be able to access that in the menu.

I just got to "Underworld: Lost Passageways" with tougher red soldiers & the red spirit power.
Old 01-May-2011, 06:41   #12
RobertR1
Regular

Same boat. Tried to played for 30mins and ended up at 2hr plus. I really like how the gameplay keeps evolving and doesn't become stale. The boss battles are extremely well done.
Old 01-May-2011, 21:52   #13
Xpuntar

As PSN title will this also be available for PSP or only for PS3?
Xpuntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-May-2011, 17:19   #14
RenegadeRocks

WOW ! Gamespot seems to love it ! Never seen so much praise being showered on a game before ! THey found no negatives at all !

One Question: does it have local co-op too? or is it online only? Gamespot mentions only online co-op
Renegade's Muse !
Old 02-May-2011, 17:46   #15
RobertR1
Regular

I believe it's online only.
Old 02-May-2011, 18:37   #16
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct

Yeah, still haven't tried that out... I may wait until I finish the game or something. I'm in the arctic zone at the moment, and I just got the power that let's you use the jump pads. Gonna be spending a lot of time replaying from the beginning to find those extra Mark of the Gods and money chests. I still haven't bothered looking through the concept art gallery yet!
Old 03-May-2011, 05:46   #17
RenegadeRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
I believe it's online only.
Well, thats bad ! Why not? I can't ask my nephew to go buy another ps3 and then come online ! Its a 2D platformer, we can play on the same screen like LBP ! Whats so difficult about that?
Renegade's Muse !
Old 03-May-2011, 08:53   #18
Arwin
Now Officially a Top 10 Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeRocks View Post
Well, thats bad ! Why not? I can't ask my nephew to go buy another ps3 and then come online ! Its a 2D platformer, we can play on the same screen like LBP ! Whats so difficult about that?
There are some differences though, in that with two screen co-op you'd have to either keep players close together, or have a (dynamic) split screen like the Lego games have (e.g. the latest Lego Harry Potter). I'd say they could have done it fairly easily if this were a bigger retail title, but for a $10 download title supporting something like this is absolutely non-trivial.
Arwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2011, 20:21   #19
Antan

Has anyone took the plunge with this yet? I tried the demo on PS3 which after a slow start grew quite alot. Has a tremendous art style and is as slick as they come. Outstanding audio (es always from HM). And is 7 quid or so while still in PSN+ territory.
Antan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2011, 20:31   #20
joker454

Yeah I bought it $8 on Live, didn't finish it yet but very cool game overall for the price.
joker454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2011, 20:39   #21
patsu
Regular

Someone on my friends list was playing this during the last few days. Was it you Antan ?
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jun-2011, 00:19   #22
Sigfried1977

I'm at the final boss. Very nice game. As slick and polished as they come. 9/10 is pushing it, though. I agree with the Eurogamer review here. It's kinda cold and calculated gameplay perfection, but something is missing. It's definitely not pulling me in the way Limbo did last year. I play it, and I'm having fun for sure, but I can just as easily stop and not think about it afterwards. I actually did just that. For some odd reason I reached the last boss door (haven't entered, though), saved my progress and turned the console off. Have yet to come back to it, though (that was a two weeks ago)
Sigfried1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jun-2011, 08:17   #23
Antan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post
Someone on my friends list was playing this during the last few days. Was it you Antan ?
Was playing the demo about a week ago.
Antan is offline   Reply With Quote