Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 16-Apr-2011, 15:47   #76
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

That's the point though. You will always want a CPU, but it can be a lightweight component with ASICs to drive the heavy workloads. Is there room for powerhouse CPUs in CE devices? Don't think so. Maybe something like IMG's GPGPU focussed SGX 554 will be the platform of choice, rather than FPU heavy CPUs?
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2011, 16:03   #77
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
Which are stupid. At least, integrating them is. The display should just be a display. The gubbins to play stuff on it should come from a separate box, that can be upgrade as needed, or replaced when it busts. I can see a need to replace a digibox every three years or so, but a TV can last much longer.
Whys that? A TV nowadays needs to be able to decode Mpeg2 and H264 anyways. Why not add simply an USB port and mediaplayer, the TV should be able to provide the best possible picture if evering from the source to the display is known.
Certainly better than CE devices that upscale their output (or worse converts framerate) and then the TV needs to work with mangled data and lacks information of the source format which it could process much better without eg. duplicate frames added by the CE Box. Unless HDMI gets replaced with something better, more "networky" solutions by removing all those imposed restrictions of decade old hardware that couldnt buffer input I cant think of a better way to play back media.

I certainly wouldnt want a seperate box (maybe with a small whiney fan bc of space and heat concerns) for media playback via USB/LAN, a TV already has the necessary components included so why dont use them.

On a similar note, I dont understand why no one integrated a webcam to a TV, Skype seems to be a perfect match aswell.

edit: Unless you meant adding something like a webbrowser/office suit to a TV. Im not really interested in that.. but it still makes more sense to me than any Smartphone =)
Npl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2011, 16:23   #78
patsu
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
That's the point though. You will always want a CPU, but it can be a lightweight component with ASICs to drive the heavy workloads. Is there room for powerhouse CPUs in CE devices? Don't think so. Maybe something like IMG's GPGPU focussed SGX 554 will be the platform of choice, rather than FPU heavy CPUs?
It depends on what you want to do. None of the ASICs based BR player could transit to 3D Blu-ray for example. That is why PS3 is an exceptionally good platform for Sony to spearhead unproven media heavy/power intensive CE markets. The 40-50 million install base makes a very strong business case to persuade people to come along.

What went wrong is the development and business plans were abandoned half way, and not updated.

A 5-year old Cell can't compete with the latest ARMS, IMG and Tegra. So vendors should choose whatever make sense for them.
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2011, 18:56   #79
RudeCurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post
You still need general purpose programmability for an AppStore. I believe Broadcom's Blu-ray SoC include 2 MIPS execution units and Java VM.
Many ASICs have some sort of CPU core...

Another big factor is that CE companies come out with newer products every few months and they want to sell them, they do not want to keep releasing new software to run on old discontinued models which do not continue to bring in profits. That is why you don't compare CE devices with "game consoles"...eg consoles are sold for years so it makes sense to use the CPU that's already there to do CE functions using software. Doesn't make sense for CE devices of which new models come out every year to replace old models.

Last edited by RudeCurve; 16-Apr-2011 at 20:58.
RudeCurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2011, 00:54   #80
Colourless
Monochrome wench

Send a message via ICQ to Colourless Send a message via MSN to Colourless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npl View Post
Whys that? A TV nowadays needs to be able to decode Mpeg2 and H264 anyways. Why not add simply an USB port and mediaplayer, the TV should be able to provide the best possible picture if evering from the source to the display is known.
Some TVs already do include USB ports for displaying media. However I believe that they are for displaying still images not video files.
Colourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2011, 03:33   #81
AlphaWolf
Specious Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourless View Post
Some TVs already do include USB ports for displaying media. However I believe that they are for displaying still images not video files.
nah my samsung plays most video types off of USB
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote