Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 24-Nov-2007, 06:09   #51
Silent_Buddha
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by psorcerer View Post
One of the P35 uses southbridge to get second PCI-E data.
Layout is different and latencies are different -> different performance.
Amazing then that reviews rarely show differences greater than 1-2% despite wildly different MB layouts and configurations. :P

Although I suppose it is possible in some weird contrived test to have one get up to a 20% difference...although it boggles the mind to think what that would be.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3149&p=6

For example contains boards from DDR 2 to DDR 3. And Chipsets from the 965, 975 to p35.

And other than the Intel board that is tuned for stability and NOT performance, amazingly enough they are all within (gasp) 1-2% of each other.

So what was that again about wildly different performances in different games based on the chipset or hell even the memory used?

Even if we were to be generous and say a p965 using DDR2 memory will run lets say 5% slower (you'll be hard pressed to actually find a game that displays this behavior on performance/enthusiast class MBs) that still doesn't account for the up to 49% difference in that article.

Hell only the Fear benches from that site would fall into the margin of error and possible differences in chipsets.

Although the results for WIC are odd to say the least.

Regards,
SB
Silent_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Nov-2008, 06:34   #52
james guy
Registered

i am not sure if i am in the right place. this is my computer specs:
Feature Specification
Form Factor MicroATX 244 mm × 244 mm
Processor Support Supports AMD® Socket AM2+ (940 pin), AMD Phenom™ (95 W), Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon 64, and Sempron™ processors
Chipset Northbridge: RS780
Southbridge: SB700

System Bus Support HT3 / HT1
Memory Support Four DDR2 800/667 MHz slots support up to 8 GB system memory
Video Integrated video

Audio Integrated ALC888S HD codec 7.1
Network Support Integrated Marvell 8071 / 8075 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN
Add-In Card Slots One PCI Express ×16
One PCI Express ×1
Two PCI conventional
it has a nvidia geforce 6150SE nForce 430 and i was wanting to upgrade to the ATI radeon hd 4600 series. is this possible and if not what is my best option. thanks folks.
james guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Nov-2008, 16:02   #53
Davros
Darlek ******

sounds like you have a small form factor case
2 worries
will it fit
is your psu up to the job
Old 23-Nov-2008, 14:09   #54
almighty
Naughty Boy!

Its not needed IMO, i run an 8800GT SLI set-up on my rig which is running on an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo that is PCI-E 1.0.

I wondered about his when i brought the motherboard as i was scared that it would hinder and hold back my GT's. So when i got the board about 2 months ago i tested a single GT in the x16 and x8 slot and run some benchmarks to see if there was a bottleneck present. I tried all sorts of games, Crysis, bioshock, counterstrike, doom 3, Quake 4 Oblivion, STALKER and no matter what slot i used the card performed the same in each slot.

Anandtech did an article on this and they also found that there is no difference.

Quote:
Recent graphics testing has already established that current video cards do not even come close to saturating the current PCIe 1.1 bus. Future video cards and applications will be more demanding, but it will likely be some time before we see a measurable performance advantage with PCIe 2.0.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3180&p=5
almighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Nov-2008, 14:16   #55
Kaotik
Drunk Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kaotik

There's benchmarks from few sites, though, which show clear difference on performance between PCIe 1.x and 2.0 when using HD4800-series cards in CF
I was betrayed by my own beliefs...
Kaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Nov-2008, 16:51   #56
Davros
Darlek ******

Quote:
Recent graphics testing has already established that current video cards do not even come close to saturating the current PCIe 1.1 bus. Future video cards and applications will be more demanding, but it will likely be some time before we see a measurable performance advantage with PCIe 2.0.
did we ever come close to saturating Agp8x ?
Old 23-Nov-2008, 21:49   #57
almighty
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotik View Post
There's benchmarks from few sites, though, which show clear difference on performance between PCIe 1.x and 2.0 when using HD4800-series cards in CF
Well from my personal experience theres no difference between PCI-E2.0 & 1.0 in terms of performance and im running SLI.

Ive also seen reviews were a 280GTX was tested in a PCI-E 1.0 slot and it performed the same as it did in its native 2.0 slot.
almighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Dec-2008, 15:49   #58
Albuquerque
Red-headed step child

Here, let me help:

Crossfire scaling with a pair of 512mb 4850's on a P35 vs P45 vs X38 vs X48. In several cases, they nuked the extra lanes via software config. Looks to me like if you want good crossfire scaling, PCIE 2.0 provides far more than single-digit increases on apps that aren't video limited, but you don't necessarily need the full 16x...
Get some supplies <...> Within the next couple of months, you'll need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ 6/9 View Post
And riots are about to begin too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_8/5 View Post
food shortages and huge price jumps I predicted recently are becoming very real now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxx_ View Post
If it turns out I was wrong, I'll admit being stupid
Albuquerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-Dec-2008, 05:03   #59
Shtal

Here some PCI-E ver.1.1 VS. 2.0
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ress,2095.html