Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 26-Jun-2008, 16:15   #1
B3D News
Beyond3D News

Default AMD Expands The Ultimate Visual Experience Combining Exceptional HD Graphics, HDTV

AMD Expands The Ultimate Visual Experience Combining Exceptional HD Graphics, HDTV, and HD Video for PCs

One-of-a-kind ATI All-In-Wonder HD takes the home theater PC to new levels of TV enjoyment and graphics quality

Sunnyvale, Calif. June 26 , 2008 AMD (NYSE: AMD) today expanded The Ultimate Visual Experience for North America with the ATI All-In-Wonder HD; combining award-winning ATI Radeon Premium graphics and ATI TV Wonder HD tuner technology card in one PCI Express 2.0 solution. As the newest multimedia powerhouse to join the long line of All-In-Wonder offerings, ATI All-in-Wonder HD transforms the PC into a highly immersive digital video recorder for HDTV[1] and analog TV, plus expands the realm of exceptional gaming with cinematic HD graphics for mainstream PCs.; Blu-ray disc playback can be enjoyed in full HD glory (1080p) thanks to ATI All-in-Wonder HDs unified video decoder (UVD) technology, ensuring movies play back smoothly and with incredible detail2.

Read the full PR item
B3D News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jun-2008, 16:20   #2
Geo
Mostly Harmless

Send a message via MSN to Geo

Woot, woot. Welcome back, AIW.

Does anyone know if this is likely to also result in support for older X1k AIW under Vista?
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jun-2008, 19:09   #3
AlphaWolf
Specious Misanthrope

I wonder if there's any chance they'll bring back higher performing parts. It would seem that this is going to be a midrange performance part ($199).
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2008, 00:25   #4
ShaidarHaran
hardware monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
I wonder if there's any chance they'll bring back higher performing parts. It would seem that this is going to be a midrange performance part ($199).
Given the dynamic nature of the world of GPU performance and the frequency with which enthusiasts replace their high-end graphics cards, I'd have to say the chance of that is nearing zero.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2008, 00:53   #5
AlphaWolf
Specious Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Given the dynamic nature of the world of GPU performance and the frequency with which enthusiasts replace their high-end graphics cards, I'd have to say the chance of that is nearing zero.
That was always the case before, I don't think the full feature set (AIW) is really all that expensive. I think a 4850 AIW might be very attractive to a lot of people, with the potential price point still under $350. The potential transcode performance of the 4800 series could be very appealing in an AIW format card.
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2008, 01:20   #6
ShaidarHaran
hardware monkey

Quote:
That was always the case before
I know, that's why ATi killed it off It was popular in the early days of rasterization before true programmable shaders really took off, but things just started advancing too quickly for ATi to design and qualify AIW SKUs during any given product cycle. By the time the AIW card you wanted was out, the next generation of GPUs was already knocking on the door.

Quote:
I don't think the full feature set (AIW) is really all that expensive.
Expensive compared to a high-end GPU? Probably not. Compared to a mainstream or mid-range GPU though I imagine the relative percentage of the BOM would increase to the point where most of the cost becomes the PCB and necessary tuning hardware.

Quote:
I think a 4850 AIW might be very attractive to a lot of people, with the potential price point still under $350. The potential transcode performance of the 4800 series could be very appealing in an AIW format card.
I agree, but think the price would need to be kept under $300 to maintain enough appeal to justify its existence.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote