Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 15-Feb-2008, 22:04   #26
Davros
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
about that BeOS R5 edition, I didn't understand why it isn't a self contained OS,
it is your getting confused with BeOS R5 Personal Edition which installed and ran from windows it was suppossed to be a sort of easy introduction to BeOS so people could try it out /get a feel for it
(installed/uninstalled to a folder withinn windows. No need to mess with partitions ect)
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Apr-2008, 03:12   #27
mrcorbo
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelg View Post
QNX
I was pretty excited about the potential of QNX on the desktop at one time. Lack of drivers pretty much doomed it from the start, though. It just didn't ever support enough hardware to be useful (at least to me). That bootable floppy that contained everything you needed to boot up the OS with a full GUI and (if you had a compatible network card) get you onto the internet with a web browser was pretty damn impressive.
Old 02-Apr-2008, 12:48   #28
Rodéric
a.k.a. Ingenu

BeOS 5 Personal Edition used a security hole in Windows 9x to take over the computer. When you clicked the icon, it really wiped the existing OS from memory and loaded itself to entirely replace it.

There's Haiku (http://www.haiku-os.org/) which should enter alpha soon ^^

QNX was impressive, but lack of apps & drivers made it useless.
Old 03-Apr-2008, 00:03   #29
Scott_Arm
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodéric View Post
BeOS 5 Personal Edition used a security hole in Windows 9x to take over the computer. When you clicked the icon, it really wiped the existing OS from memory and loaded itself to entirely replace it.

There's Haiku (http://www.haiku-os.org/) which should enter alpha soon ^^

QNX was impressive, but lack of apps & drivers made it useless.
QNX is owned by Harmon Kardon now. They do the real-time systems for all the new BMWs or something. A person I know from work's spouse works at QNX, and they get to drive all the fancy new BMWs before they hit the market. I guess they're doing alright.

QNX is pretty neat.
Scott_Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Apr-2008, 22:08   #30
nelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
I was pretty excited about the potential of QNX on the desktop at one time. Lack of drivers pretty much doomed it from the start, though. It just didn't ever support enough hardware to be useful (at least to me). That bootable floppy that contained everything you needed to boot up the OS with a full GUI and (if you had a compatible network card) get you onto the internet with a web browser was pretty damn impressive.

Ya, that was very impressive. I am still of the impression that it would be the idea OS for a neural network simulation.

IIRC it is used for avionics, medical imagine machines, and a whole host of other vertical implementations. The fact that you could strip it down to such bare essentials was appealing from a support / debug perspective.
Old 28-Apr-2008, 13:07   #31
_xxx_
Naughty Boy!

I can clearly remember that Quake III for BeOS ran way over 50% faster than the windows version. There we had a small glimpse of what's possible when the OS is not a bloated bunch of crap.
Old 28-Apr-2008, 18:43   #32
suryad

Have you tried Sabayon Linux? (spelling) I have heard good things about it.
suryad is offline   Reply With Quote