Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 09-Oct-2007, 17:04   #126
Carl B
Friends call me xbd

I'd say at least Cell... in terms of the rest, RSX seems likely, but the difference could be attributed to chipset considerations, lack of GS, newer-gen BD drive, etc... still 100 watts is a lot in computer terms for it to only be one of the major 2 ICs.

We'll know soon though (tomorrow?), that's for sure.
Old 09-Oct-2007, 17:25   #127
Todd33
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npl View Post
im very surprised to see Sony dropping BC on any PS3 model. But aslong as there still is a BC-Model available, I dont see much of a problem - you can get BC if you feel its worth paying more. Will be interesting to see what happens when the stock of 60GB Versions is cleared - will Sony brew a cost reduced 60GB Version (like the 40GB Version), but with BC left intact? I surely think and hope so.
I think Sony doesn't want to affect the selling of the old SKUs before they announce a new one. In NA they said the 60GB was discontinued and the 80GB is $599. All the fanboys said after the 60GB was gone they price point for a PS3 was going to be $600 for the holidays. Of course the truth is a $400 40GB and a price drop to $500 for the 80GB (announcement immanent). So the same could be true in the EU. Sell out the 60GB before they bring in the 80GB (with BC) at the same price.
Old 17-Oct-2007, 01:18   #128
XeRo

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6181094...stnews;title;4

40GB = 178% increase in sales.
XeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2007, 07:34   #129
AlphaWolf
Specious Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeRo View Post
considering the article says that 89% of the units sold were of the 60gb variety it might be better to say, threat of BC loss forces users to buy up remaining 60gb units.
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2007, 09:33   #130
pipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
considering the article says that 89% of the units sold were of the 60gb variety it might be better to say, threat of BC loss forces users to buy up remaining 60gb units.
QFT. Which made me wonder if it isn't another Sony Spin and they'll come out with another model with BC early next year...

They had to clear inventory.

Last edited by pipo; 17-Oct-2007 at 10:35.
pipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2007, 10:25   #131
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

My take is people waiting for the anticipated price drop to 300-350 saw the added value of the 60GB model so ponied up an extra 50 (which they'd have spent anyway) to grab it. I don't think BC was the only incentive. I question if it's any incentive! Would anyone here spend 50 ($100) just for BC if there were no extras? The added value of the 60GB model at a 75 price drop would be enough to generate that sort of sales spike regardless of a cheaper model.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1862910
Shifty Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2007, 14:53   #132
Gradthrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
I question if it's any incentive! Would anyone here spend 50 ($100) just for BC if there were no extras?
Without hesitation. But I have a large legacy of PS2 games, some of which are unfinished and still compelling enough to play. And then many others which I just enjoy going back to every now and then. Not saying I'm the typical example, just saying I would pay the extra $100 for BC (even if that was the only difference between 2 models).
Gradthrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2007, 15:26   #133
pipo

I for one would have considered buying the 40GB model if it had BC as I wasn't really interested in MS and R:FOM (plenty of those on my 360).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
...an extra 50 (which they'd have spent anyway)...
I would have been happy with one controller too (with rumble coming next year). I spend most of my time with the downloadable games at the moment.