Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 26-Sep-2007, 16:59   #251
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct

But why couldn't it be about technology as well?
Old 26-Sep-2007, 17:03   #252
nAo
Nutella Nutellae

To me Halo1/2 were technical showcases, when I played them I thought they were gorgeous
The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way
Old 26-Sep-2007, 17:07   #253
archangelmorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nAo View Post
To me Halo1/2 were technical showcases, when I played them I thought they were gorgeous
Amen to that..
Old 26-Sep-2007, 17:11   #254
Laa-Yosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStrong View Post
What game would you say pushed the Xbox hardware, Laa-Yosh?
From what I've seen, Riddick and Doom3 would be the first contenders.
Old 26-Sep-2007, 17:12   #255
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh View Post
From what I've seen, Riddick and Doom3 would be the first contenders.
mm... Oh yeah, forgot about Riddick. I thought that was better than Doom 3 in that the frame rate was a bit smoother IIRC. I only played the demo, but it seemed like they were doing a bit more too with bloom/post-processing compared to Doom 3.

The cut-scenes in Halo 2 were pretty amazing to me at the time (though I still think Mech Assault 2 had the best show-case for characters in theirs ).
Old 26-Sep-2007, 18:58   #256
TheChefO
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Agree on 1 ... 2 on the other hand was horrid. Worse than the first IMO.

h3 I'd put in the middle. It isn't leading edge like h1 was, but it isn't embarassing like h2 was.

...it seems laughable, laughable I tell you, that early 2012 technology that is under the 2005 budgets for the consoles cannot fit into a next gen box.
- Acert93
Old 26-Sep-2007, 19:41   #257
MJP

Quote:
Someone said there's no motion blur in the game at all... and it makes 30fps a lot more noticeable then in Bioshock and Gears...
I concur with nAo on this one, there's definitely some post-processing motion blur but only from camera movements. When I was playing the game early on I was watching the NPC animations and noticing how there was no blur, but the blurring is quite obvious when you rotate the camera very quickly or stare at the ground while running.
Old 26-Sep-2007, 20:00   #258
Farid
Artist formely known as Vysez

Icon Arrow About Halo:CE and Halo 2 technology

Halo:CE was a technological showpiece back in 2001. It sported extensive pixel shader effects, bump/normal mapping, per pixel lighting effects, had complex materials with intricate detail texturing on surfaces and it had large maps that take advantage of the disc+HDD for content streaming. It was above anything else found in the console space and gave many PC games a run for their money. In fact, I can't remember any PC FPS predating Halo that supported more or better technical features.

Halo 2, on the other hand, I agree, wasn't all that impressive in-game, I concede, when you consider what the competition proposed on the Xbox (let alone on PC). With that said, the first version of the Halo 2 engine, the one demo'ed at E3, with the volumetric shadows implemented would have been impressive in-game, in fact real-time cutscenes in Halo 2 looked really good, save for the texture poping glitche due to some caching issues they had in the final build. It's clear that the Halo 2 renderer was pretty advanced (shadow buffers, normal mapping, per pixel effects, volumetric shadows, etc.) It's just that in-game, the result wasn't as impressive as Halo:CE was back in the day, and only cut-scene looked really impressive with respect to other high-end Xbox games.

In any case, it would be unfair today to dismiss Halo:CE as technologically unremarkable, while it was in fact a fairly impressive demonstartion of the Xbox hardware capabilities during the early days of the console. Halo 2 might be more of a moderated prowess on the technological front, that other other hand can indeed be argued, even today. Nonetheless, this latter game engine was fairly advandced and did some impressive stuff, albeit mostly during cutscenes (hence why its technological advancement can be argued.)
Old 26-Sep-2007, 20:37   #259
Mintmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaz51 View Post
this screenshots are probably created with screenshot tool
the game is not 720p, it's 640p, i'm sure, i checked and counted 5 or 6 times on various photos
Are you sure those photos are from the retail build of the final game and not some earlier build or the beta?

It makes no sense for there to be so many native 720p shots without AA, especially if the screenshot tool outputs 1080p and/or has AA like every other game.

On the other hand, if Alstrong is right about Halo using two 32bpp render targets (though I can't understand what they'd need them for), 1164x640 makes perfect sense. Very disappointing, though.
Old 26-Sep-2007, 20:45   #260
AlNets
Posts may self-destruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintmaster View Post
On the other hand, if Alstrong is right about Halo using two 32bpp render targets (though I can't understand what they'd need them for), 1164x640 makes perfect sense. Very disappointing, though.
Things can change I guess. In their presentation they were talking about another method of achieving a higher dynamic range by rendering the scene with different exposures (ala HDR photography).
Old 26-Sep-2007, 20:46   #261
Laa-Yosh

Halo1 had no bump mapping / per pixel lighting on characters and vehicles, only on static level geometry. You're right about the other stuff though, but I still don't consider it a true showcase of the Xbox's abilities.
Old 26-Sep-2007, 21:08   #262
almighty
Naughty Boy!

Other then the resolusion why does Halo 3 have no AA? Did'nt bungie say it was 4xMSAA?
Old 26-Sep-2007, 21:09   #263
almighty
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Halo1 had no bump mapping / per pixel lighting on characters and vehicles, only on static level geometry. You're right about the other stuff though, but I still don't consider it a true showcase of the Xbox's abilities.
Neither would i, if i had to pick the game that i thought showcased what x-box could do i would pick Riddck.
Old 26-Sep-2007, 21:09   #264
Quaz51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintmaster View Post
Are you sure those photos are from the retail build of the final game and not some earlier build or the beta?
those photos are my photos with my digital camera and my Halo3 game with my X360 Elite and my Full HDTV
and yes i'm sure it's 640p not 720p, everybody can check it himself
Old 27-Sep-2007, 01:44   #265
Dave Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by almighty View Post
Other then the resolusion why does Halo 3 have no AA? Did'nt bungie say it was 4xMSAA?
Don't recall where they said that, but there's definitely no AA with Halo3.

I don't notice any motion blurring either - if it's enabled, it's incredibly subtle and does nothing to help the perceived smoothness of animation or turning to me.
Old 27-Sep-2007, 02:05   #266
TheChefO
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Neither would i, if i had to pick the game that i thought showcased what x-box could do i would pick Riddck.
It came way later though. For it's time (key) it was the cream of the crop. I'll also add that texture detail was second to none (again, for it's time).

...it seems laughable, laughable I tell you, that early 2012 technology that is under the 2005 budgets for the consoles cannot fit into a next gen box.
- Acert93
Old 27-Sep-2007, 02:51   #267
scooby_dooby
Regular

Splinter Cell 3 was easily the best looking Xbox title. If anything pushed the box, it was that game. Riddick was nice too, but I SC clearly trumped itfor me.
Old 27-Sep-2007, 05:10   #268
joker454

Quote:
other observation...
for the PS3 version of Sega Rally the vegetation is alpha blend (better) but alpha coverage in X360 version
Hmm that's weird, I would have expected the opposite situation.
Old 27-Sep-2007, 09:12   #269
kyleb

Quote:
those photos are my photos with my digital camera and my Halo3 game with my X360 Elite and my Full HDTV
and yes i'm sure it's 640p not 720p, everybody can check it himself
Any chance you could you upload a few?
Old 27-Sep-2007, 09:42   #270
Arwin
Now Officially a Top 10 Poster

Quote:
I tested Halo3 and.... not 720p it's exactly the same resolution that perfect dark, ~1138x640 with no AA, no aniso (and 30fps)
Why? HDR FP16 and no tiling ?
Surprising for me also ... I would have thought they'd go for 720p out of principle, just to make a statement. But of course they made the right decision - getting a stable 30fps framerate even in most extreme circumstances is much more important for a game like this one with so much competitive multiplayer.
Old 27-Sep-2007, 10:37   #271
djskribbles

i have not been following this thread so forgive me if this has been answered. i just did a quick glance through the pages and was surprised to see some PS3 games are being scaled in other ways. i was under the impression that the only scaling the PS3 could do was the horizontal 960x1080 to 1920x1080 method? is any other scaling done with PS3 titles being scaled by software scaling? if so, that would use up some resources (memory, cpu etc) right?
Old 27-Sep-2007, 10:37   #272
[maven]

Send a message via MSN to [maven]

Quote:
I trust my eyes more than what ppl say, halo3 has 'camera' motion blur.
nAo is right. Same sort of motion blur in Halo 3 as in PDZ. Looks like there's an XDK-sample for that then... :P
Old 27-Sep-2007, 13:24   #273
Quaz51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb View Post
Any chance you could you upload a few?

one exemple of halo3 edge (i tested several edge with the same result) on my 1080p TV with 1:1 mapping (Samsung "just scan" mode)

http://upsilandre.free.fr/images/Halo3nativereso.jpg

it's the same result that Perfect dark (ratio 16/27 for 1080 display or 8/9 ratio for 720 display)
i tested approximately sixty X360 games (and lot of PS3 games too ), all are 720p except two 1080p (VT3 and NBA street), two 600p (PGR3 and Tomb Raider) and Two 640p (Perfect Dark and Halo3)

EDIT: the context of the preceding Halo3 edge photo
http://upsilandre.free.fr/images/Hal...esocontext.jpg
it's an edge of the sniper rifle

Last edited by Quaz51; 27-Sep-2007 at 15:52.
Old 27-Sep-2007, 13:27   #274
almighty
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
one exemple of halo3 edge (i tested several edge with the same result) on my 1080p TV with 1:1 mapping (Samsung "just scan" mode)

http://upsilandre.free.fr/images/Halo3nativereso.jpg

it's the same result that Perfect dark
i tested approximately sixty of X360 games (and lot of PS3 games too ), all are 720p except two 1080p (VT3 and NBA street), two 600p (PGR3 and Tomb Raider) and Two 640p (Perfect Dark and Halo3)
Call Of Duty 3 and Tony Hawks are then 720p aswel.
Old 27-Sep-2007, 13:32   #275
Neb
Iron "BEAST" Man

Quote:
Call Of Duty 3 and Tony Hawks are then 720p aswel.
You forgot to read the part where he says how many games he has tested.