Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 13-Mar-2012, 15:42   #1
Dominik D

Default Phil Harrison to lead MS Game Studios in Europe

Hope this is the right forum.

Phil Harrison replaces Molyneux. Really, no joke.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-games-studios

I'm speechless but I like the idea. Any hopes for more AAA games thanks to this, you think?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Dominik D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 15:46   #2
Shifty Geezer
uber-Troll!

This is a confusing move. Phil got out of Sony because he felt frustrated that they wouldn't listen to his ideas of the grand future. He went to Atari and didn't do anything with his grand vision. He went to Gaikai and hasn't really changed things. So what's he gonna do at MS? Give up and just run a conventional console service again? The opportunities he gave devs were pretty tremendous, but that somewhat goes against MS's typical approach, unless they are wanting Harrison to bring to MS what he brought to Sony regards supporting innovative software. But then why would Phil accept that position?

Tolerance for internet moronism is exhausted. Anyone talking about people's attitudes in the Console fora, rather than games and technology, will feel my wrath. Read the FAQ to remind yourself how to behave and avoid unsightly incidents.
Shifty Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 15:47   #3
Rangers
Regular

Maybe he just wants a high paying job?
Rangers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 15:55   #4
Arwin
Now Officially a Top 10 Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Geezer View Post
This is a confusing move. Phil got out of Sony because he felt frustrated that they wouldn't listen to his ideas of the grand future. He went to Atari and didn't do anything with his grand vision. He went to Gaikai and hasn't really changed things. So what's he gonna do at MS? Give up and just run a conventional console service again? The opportunities he gave devs were pretty tremendous, but that somewhat goes against MS's typical approach, unless they are wanting Harrison to bring to MS what he brought to Sony regards supporting innovative software. But then why would Phil accept that position?
His ideas could match Microsoft's big Kinect push.
Arwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 16:19   #5
Cornsnake

Interesting. Should be great for Mircosoft. I'm also curious to know exactly he's going to do at Mircosoft.
Cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 16:31   #6
mrcorbo
Foo Fighter

I like it.
Old 13-Mar-2012, 19:20   #7
Acert93
Artist formerly known as Acert93

Quote:
After spinning off so much internal talent -- and the likely risk Sony will be co-launching the PS4 the same year as the Xbox 3 -- MS needs some talent evaluator who can find smaller, up and coming studios like Rocksteady Studios (Batman Arkham Asylum/City) or even a High Moon Studios (TF: War for Cybertron) that with proper funding/support for their ideas can become affordable ways to snag exclusive titles because with a co-launch it will be much harder for MS to snag defacto exclusives like they did with the 360.

Probably a good move by MS if for no other reason Phil has done a similar job before, has a ton of industry contacts and experience, and I think big picture for MS and their European efforts this signifies a push to grow there over where they previously have been.
"In games I don't like, there is no such thing as "tradeoffs," only "downgrades" or "lazy devs" or "bugs" or "design failures." Neither do tradeoffs exist in games I'm a rabid fan of, and just shut up if you're going to point them out." -- fearsomepirate
Acert93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 19:56   #8
TheChefO
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
From what I understand, Phil was frustrated that his ideas were not adopted and funded properly outside of Europe.

Perhaps MS is offering to listen and fully fund and support his initiatives.

Regardless of the broader impact, if nothing else, this move should really help to improve MS' chances in Europe.

Great move by MS; he should be a big improvement over Peter in identifying and cultivating European dev support.

...it seems laughable, laughable I tell you, that early 2012 technology that is under the 2005 budgets for the consoles cannot fit into a next gen box.
- Acert93
TheChefO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 20:08   #9
Scott_Arm
Regular

I had no idea that Peter Molyneux had left Lionhead!
Scott_Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 21:37   #10
patsu
Regular

Congrats ! I have always thought Shuhei lacks Harrison's creative sparks. It's a pity Sony hasn't found anyone who rival Phil's vision. Shuhei sounds more like a traffic coordinator and a workhorse/execution type. Can't wait to hear more about Phil's new ideas.
My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!
-- 3rdamention@GAF
patsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 21:40   #11
babybumb

Im predicting very bad things for Xbox Next if you dont like casual stuff

MS has been very conservative what they publish. Basically only commercial hits. If a new hardcore IP does not sell 5M+ it will never get a next game..
babybumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2012, 09:38   #12
Dominik D

Quote:
He went to Atari and didn't do anything with his grand vision.
It's not that easy to make zombie dance and sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Arm View Post
I had no idea that Peter Molyneux had left Lionhead!
Wanna hug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Grenz View Post
Sony should hire J Allard in retaliation.
My sense is that he's burned out. Whether it's because of Sinofsky's bulldozer or by the amount of stuff that was on his shoulders, I'd be surprised to see him reappear with Sony.

That said I didn't expect Phil@MS either.

Old 14-Mar-2012, 20:24   #13
Scott_Arm
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik D View Post
Wanna hug?
Nope. Don't care. Just surprised at the news. Maybe Lionhead will get back to making a non-Kinect Fable game. Pretty sure they have a lot of talent over there without Peter to keep making good games.
Scott_Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2012, 09:10   #14
Dominik D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Arm View Post
Maybe Lionhead will get back to making a non-Kinect Fable game.
Pretty likely. It's Peter who pushed for the Kinect version as far as the rumor goes.

Old 15-Mar-2012, 13:44   #15
kagemaru

Outside of Peter Moore, Phil has been the only figure head I actually liked. Others like Kaz, Tretton, Reggie, and especially Don have never been able to speak to the public the same way IMO. Of course this doesn't say anything about how well they do their job, I just hope we'll see more of Phil at the E3 press conference and less of Don now.

Quote:
This is a confusing move. Phil got out of Sony because he felt frustrated that they wouldn't listen to his ideas of the grand future. He went to Atari and didn't do anything with his grand vision. He went to Gaikai and hasn't really changed things. So what's he gonna do at MS? Give up and just run a conventional console service again?
Maybe he had signed a non-compete with Sony and was just waiting it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybumb View Post
Im predicting very bad things for Xbox Next if you dont like casual stuff

MS has been very conservative what they publish. Basically only commercial hits. If a new hardcore IP does not sell 5M+ it will never get a next game..
I think MS recently dedicated $300 million to core games, so hopefully we see some thing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik D View Post
Pretty likely. It's Peter who pushed for the Kinect version as far as the rumor goes.
Peter said it himself, that's no rumor.
kagemaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 16:48   #16
tcrews

He's not replacing where Peter left according to Major Nelson..

Quote:
Larry Hryb ‏ @majornelson Reply Retweet Favorite Open
FAQ:Is Phil Harrison replacing Peter Molyneux? A: No. Phil’s role on the IEB leadership team is completely unrelated to Peter’s departure
tcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2012, 00:36   #17
Brad Grenz
Philosopher & Poet

Brad Grenz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2012, 02:07   #18
Acert93
Artist formerly known as Acert93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Grenz View Post
If that happened MS would have no other option other then to fire Balmer and hire The KEN.
"In games I don't like, there is no such thing as "tradeoffs," only "downgrades" or "lazy devs" or "bugs" or "design failures." Neither do tradeoffs exist in games I'm a rabid fan of, and just shut up if you're going to point them out." -- fearsomepirate
Acert93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2012, 02:17   #19
TheChefO
Naughty Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acert93 View Post
If that happened MS would have no other option other then to fire Balmer and hire The KEN.

I think Ken would rather die first, but it would be a great pickup by MS!

...it seems laughable, laughable I tell you, that early 2012 technology that is under the 2005 budgets for the consoles cannot fit into a next gen box.
- Acert93
TheChefO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2012, 12:28   #20
Prophecy2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acert93 View Post
If Kuturagi joined MS, with his crazy schemes and MS' deep pockets, he would develop a console to end all others. One which is powered by strange fire and when turned on, would split the space-time continuum and translate the mind and consciousness of it's hosts into the para-meta-physical world of celestial god-hood....

... then would the universe retreat unto the singularity preceding the big bang, and the gods would sing the song to end all existance

*cowers in the corner shivering in terror*
Prophecy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2012, 08:37   #21
Nesh
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy2k View Post
If Kuturagi joined MS, with his crazy schemes and MS' deep pockets, he would develop a console to end all others. One which is powered by strange fire and when turned on, would split the space-time continuum and translate the mind and consciousness of it's hosts into the para-meta-physical world of celestial god-hood....

... then would the universe retreat unto the singularity preceding the big bang, and the gods would sing the song to end all existance

*cowers in the corner shivering in terror*
*head explodes*
Its RahXephon all over again!
Nesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2012, 04:50   #22
RobertR1
Regular

Don't YOU want to be the controller, Scott?
Old 17-Mar-2012, 03:50   #23
Brad Grenz
Philosopher & Poet

Doubtful thatgamecompany would sign an exclusive deal with Microsoft. They'll go multiplatform or they'll stay with Sony. Xbla's publishing requirements may lead to them self publishing just on PS3 and Steam.
Brad Grenz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2012, 18:55   #24
Gitaroo

In return, would be funny if Sony hire J Allard, think he left MS too after MS banned his concept for the dual screen tablet thing right? Sony still got some great game developers like ND that cares about social networking, think someone asked ND what they want to see for next gen hardwares, they said better social networking or something.
Gitaroo is offline   Reply With Quote