View Single Post
Old 11-Jun-2014, 23:00   #265
(((interference)))

No, it is definitely real-time, (as my post yesterday might hint) I had one of their devs explicitly confirm to me yesterday that it is running in real time, on a single PS4 and not pre-recorded.

Beginning with Uncharted 4, all Naughty Dog games will feature completely in engine, real time, 3D cutscenes (if they even stay cutscenes anymore), a huge performance departure from what they used to ship.

So I then asked Richard about it and whether he could spot any signs that the trailer was real time, which he did in his updated post:

Quote:
We've studied the video in a little more depth and have concluded that it's definitely running at native 1080p resolution (as opposed to being rendered at a very high resolution, then scaled down - a process known as super-sampling). Small clipping anomalies, a touch of specular aliasing on Nate's shirt as he sits up, along with some shadow aliasing on his forehead also suggest a real-time render. On the face of it, we're still looking at some pretty incredible anti-aliasing here for a real-time technique on a game running at 60fps, particularly when it comes to the perfect, artefact-free rendering of Nate's hair - but the combination of the low contrast setting, slow camera movement, motion blur and depth of field would work well generally in making aliasing much less of an issue.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...f-us-at-60-fps

But wow, what an incredible achievement coming less than a year into the PS4's life.
And at 60fps no less.

Last edited by (((interference))); 11-Jun-2014 at 23:30.
(((interference))) is offline   Reply With Quote