View Single Post
Old 24-May-2014, 19:00   #1685
Erinyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerman View Post
So now it absolutely will be on 28nm? Did Nvidia find that the density decrease wasn't justifiable enough to be on 20nmSoC?
Apparently it was always intended to be on 28nm..the 20nm rumours were just that..rumours. If so..this would be a very interesting chip IMHO..they are bound by the reticle limit and probably would not be able to increase die size much beyond GK110. Given that they're on the same process, a GM200 v/s GK110 comparison would tell us exactly how good the architectural improvements are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHuj View Post
Just so I understand GM200 would be the highest end part? and would it even be slated for a consumer GPU at first?

With GM107 out, I'm assuming there's an equivalent tier to what GK104 was, coming out before GM200 (hopefully in a GTX 870).

I looking forward to upgrading my GTX670, but so far there's nothing on the market worth upgrading to (for a reasonable price)
Yes..GM200 would be the highest end part until Pascal. No idea but this time around there would be plenty of 28nm capacity available so they shouldn't be short of chips I would think.

Yes..GM204..please read the last few pages of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotik View Post
You sure you're not mixing that with GK210?
What is GK210?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tviceman View Post
With 20nm offering "up to 1.9x transistor density" vs. 28nm, those costs actually make it look really beneficial to transition away from 28nm asap. Then again, yields might be terrible at first....
Only beneficial if you absolutely need higher density..not if you want lower cost... Yes..given initial yields..cost per transistor would be higher in the beginning. This slide by NV should give you a fair idea -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tviceman View Post
but at similar yields, a company that can effectively shrink down their chip and get excellent transistor density scaling would be getting 75%+ more chips per wafer.
Assuming they stick to the same transistor count of course. Traditionally..transistor count goes up every generation and the die size remains around the same. Eg..GF104 had 1.95B transistors on a 330mm2 die whereas GK104 had 3.5B transistors on a 294 mm2 die.

I think what you're overlooking is that cost/mm2 goes up with every node.
Erinyes is offline   Reply With Quote